Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

3.8 Reflash/Canned Tune Results

8K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  slade7588 
#1 ·
Just in case some of you missed the fun :)

http://www.gencoupe.com/seoulful-racing/104732-2013-3-8-v6-reflash-review.html

Driveability results in first post
Link to dyno results on middle of page 3

Overall, about a 20hp/20tq gain, with a 17hp gain at peak numbers

Car feels AMAZING

We will be playing with custom tunes once I get an intake and a couple other little things here and there... hoping for even more big gains then :D

Jay is the man!

#3 ·
Hey Ken,

GenTeq had already given me some good information concerning the difference between canned tune and custom tune. I'm a noob when it comes to this so what's your take on the difference? We both plan to drive up and get the tune together. The installed mods for both will be CBE exhaust and intake.

#4 ·
Jay told me that custom tunes wont be available for some time yet... they still have to see what limits this car/motor can handle before going really crazy

So to be honest, you probably will have to go with the canned tune for now

I will be first in line for Jay when he is ready for the custom tune, so I am sure we will let everyone know when that is ready ;)

#5 ·
Thanks, Kenny.

Hey Genny...considering custom won't be available for awhile, I say we drive up asap and just get the reflash (for now). Fortunately, it'll learn whatever else we slap on it.

#6 ·
yeah, theres really no reason to wait for an intake at this point... its only a canned tune, so its going to be the same regardless! :)

#7 ·
haha my philosophy exactly! btw, Jay did confirm with me that the canned tune is 91+ octane for those who are wondering.

#10 ·
I don't believe extra ECU's are available (yet) for the 2013s.

#11 ·
from the dealer they might be :p

#13 ·
actually $650

#16 ·
Curious to know if the car sounds and feels abnormally strained when hitting the 7000-7200 rpm with this tune? As is stands now, when I take it to redline at the stock 6500 rpm the engine sounds like its at max output and a little strained.

#18 ·
Had mine done last month and can tell you that it will be the best money you can spend on performance for your 13! I strictly went down to see Jay to get rid of the bog in between shifts..........man I wasn't let down either! The throttle response is now crazy and couple that with the extra horse and torque and you are driving an entirely new car.

Stop thinking about it and just do it, you won't be disappointed!

#20 ·
I'm 90% convinced. But still looking for that extra something to put me over...

#22 ·
Same boat...I'm maybe 91% now...lol.

The cost after I add shipping into it, along with not being able to drive my car for a few days is kinda holding me back right now....almost $600 with shipping. I wish they would do a tour to CA.

#24 ·
I was one of the first to get the canned tune for 3.8 AT and I'm not as crazy about this mod as others. To say it's the best money you can spend on performance is stretching it a lot. I like Jay and I like what SFR does but for the price and what you get in return............Eh, I'd rather have headers or new wheels and tires.

#29 ·
i think genny13 might not notice a huge difference because of the automatic factor.

everyone i have spoken too, along with myself included LOVE the canned tune :)

#30 · (Edited)
I love my canned tune and I have an A/T. I came in knowing that it wouldn't be explosive power like other canned tunes for the older models. With the intake and exhaust it definitely has come more alive. Better response is probably the biggest thing you'll notice and the rev hang being reduced. Can't wait for Jay's custom tune to come out for the 2013s.

But just read last week the BTR had some awesome gains on the dyno with their tune for a 2013 A/T. Although I think they said it wasn't proven gains and are waiting to verify it. Definitely interested to see what they can do although I really like Jay's tune and the way he tunes.

#43 ·
I got connections that put SFR and BTR tunes side by side and the BTR tune (can't remember if canned or custom) was an extra 8whp and 18wtq (from what I recall) over the SFR but BTR is pricier so its all about whom you favor, both are great companies.

What I'm calling out is whomever first makes it to Washington state to do custom tunes I will be their loyal customer and refer basis.

#31 ·
Just chiming in to add some additional feedback...

I got the SFR canned tune at the same time with Genny13. His is auto and mine is manual. I had a SFR reflash on my 2010 so I knew what to expect and not to expect. Right off, you will notice much better throttle response. Drivability is the key claim in SFR's tune, but there will also be some decent gains. It does take some time for your ECU to relearn, especially whenever you do boltons. Of course, that is one of the perks of canned vs. custom is that you can indefinitely swap out parts.

Mine dyno'd 302whp/265tq just with catback and the reflash, which I thought was pretty decent. I admit the tune is NOT cheap, but for me it was well worth the improvements. Everyone else has their own budgets and expectations with each and every mod.

I will probably get a custom tune when it's available and when I have finished all engine/exhaust mods. I believe Jay (correct me if I'm wrong) does offer a slight discount when upgrading to custom. And to be very honest, the only issue I ever had is a couple rev hangs, but I was gunning it right after a warmed restart so it might have been an idling issue.

All in I'm extremely happy!! :D

#32 ·
Thanks GenTeq! Also, thanks to you and Genny13 for taking the time to reply to my PM....I'm sure everyone has a busy life and taking the time to reply to questions is very much appreciated. Some good people on this forum.

Your post has bumped my percentage to 95% now...lol. Need something else to fill in the remaining 5%.

#33 ·
SFR sticker = 5%
:D :D :D

#38 ·
lol Excellent! Glad to hear you made the decision. Be sure to really get a feel of the car before you ship out the ECU so you can gauge differences with the tune. We all want honest feedback :)

#41 ·
+1

#39 ·
Will do. I haven't set expectations too high to avoid being hum-drum about it and I'm very objective by nature so definitely looking forward to it. Thanks to all for your feedback!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.