Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

aftermarket emissions

12K views 93 replies 16 participants last post by  magicbumm328 
#1 ·
my car has gt2871 turbo, walbro fuel bump, dw 550 injectors, fmic, cai, dyno jet cmd, stage 3 cc clutch kit etc... primary cat has been removed. je imports should provide "test pipe" im having car re tuned on 2/23 by turbo xs in md. they r goin to "flash" the ecu and do custom tune. what do i need to do to pass emissions. i hear they wont pass emissions with engine light on, even with overboost code. flash takes away engine lights, with newer model cars they hook upt o computer to test emissions right or do they still test what comes out of exhaust in md....anyways what needs to be done so i can pass inspection, should i do it before or after turbo xs tune, will test pipe hurt tune in any way if have to be installed, or am i completely doomed and will nver pass emissions? thankz guyz...

#65 ·
I figured that they check for emissions, where applicable, when a vehicle inspection is performed. Since I am not too familiar with the emissions testing and back to my original question, would it be possible for the OP to find a location that can work with him on his mods?

#68 ·
lucky ****. tried to pass my but btrcc ecu has closed loop pending 4 codes and wont allow me to pass. no biggie tho.

#74 ·
#79 · (Edited)
If I interpret correctly, he is saying that you still have a cat on and should a get a downpipe to replace your cat as the test pipe only removes one of the cats. Also, please learn to edit posts so you don't post 3 times in a row about nothing... And no one trusts your opinion or anyone you knows opinion on tuners after all this. I can guarantee that. And I'm not sure why you keep asking JE things. You paid them 7k and they handed you a stalled out bunk tuned car. I'd be pissed.

#86 ·
holy ****, how can you not figure out how to order something online?

all you gotta do is order that yourself, then take it to a small exhaust shop and have them bolt it up for $20-30. But no, you go and have JE order it, put their markup on it, pay them their high labor rates....

And yes, you can find shops that will "pass" your emissions. Usually local shops, just need to know how to ask. May cost you a couple bucks more, but you wont have to do anything to your car.

#88 ·
are you thinking of a inspection? im not sure how they do emissions where you live but in md they have big buildings and you drive up and inside and the tell you to go stand in a room and the perforum the test with therer computer ,it would be kinda hard to get a inside guy unless like you when to school withthem or something but like i said im not sure how they do it in your state im just asking

#87 ·
I still can't believe this joker didn't have a smog guy set aside when he did his Mr. Potato build.

#93 ·
I didn't read passed page one.

This is what I did last year and doing right now:

Step 1, put Primary Cat on.
Step 2, put stock tune on the ECU (most tuned ECUs turn off the CAT CEL, which stops tests from running so you will fail)
Step 3, either put the stock injectors in, or use CMD to scale your incjectors.
Step 4, start car.
Step 5, drive car, stay out of boost (like 10-20% throttle) and drive like a grandma.
Step 6, check with an OBDII scan tool to make sure all your tests are ready.
Step 7, go to emissions place.

I'm currently repeating Step 5 and 6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.