Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Dynojet CMD "tuning" for 2.0T

310K views 2K replies 188 participants last post by  AKGC 
#1 · (Edited)
credit goes to Kristin for finding this

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Dynojet Announces a New Automotive Performance Product - the CMD for 2010 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T

North Las Vegas, NV, August 19, 2008- We are pleased to announce the following application addition to our Dynojet CMD product line.

The Dynojet CMD (Combustion Management Device) is designed to optimize the power of your OEM forced induction vehicle, while retaining the factory engine management system.

The CMD is loaded with features that allow the user to precisely alter the fuel, boost, and works in parallel with OBDII (including CAN-Bus systems). Designed to be “plug-n-play” right out of the box*, the CMD comes pre-wired with OEM style connectors for each specific vehicle, eliminating lengthy installation times and guesswork.

Features
• Direct injector control (+/- 100% fuel change)
• Fuel change based on MAP sensor
• Boost / Fuel cut defense (through TIP / MAP clamping)
• Boost Control (+/- 100% change)
• Plug-n-Play Harness with OEM style intercept connectors, no cutting or splicing is required
• Update firmware via USB, no need to return the CMD for updates
• Control Center Software™ allows for unlimited map possibilities and real time tuning (base map included)
• Up to 48x48 tables dimensions allows for fine tuning and precise control
• Works in parallel with OBDII vehicles, even CAN-Bus systems
• CMD can draw power through the PC USB port, enabling map changes with the ignition off, or remove the CMD from the vehicle and bench program
• CAN-Bus communication and expansion options yields lightning fast communication speed with the Wide Band 2, LCD Display, and other Dynojet products

*The pre-release version of the CMD will come with a partial plug-n-play harness. As of 8-20-09, this harness includes the male/female injector connectors, boost solenoid connectors and crank connectors. As more of the connectors come in, we will add them to the harness. Final release version will include male/female plug-n-play connectors for the injectors, TPS, TIP, MAP, crank and boost solenoid connectors.

The CMD installed on a completely stock Genesis 2.0T yields impressive gains. 76lb-ft of torque and 49hp in the midrange, with peak gains of 71lb-ft and 33hp!

Product pictures and screen shots from the Master Control Center software:

CMD module shown with complete plug-n-play harness (Subaru WRX/STi)

Fully user customizable interface. Setup your own gauge screens with round analog gauge faces, 1/2 round gauges, digital gauges, bar graphs, etc. Logging directly from the CMD to your computer via USB plus live view on the gauge panel. Logs can then playback on the log/graph viewer as well as synchronized with the gauges. Histogram population during log playback for easy copy/pasting of clamp values.

The Control Center software allows for fuel adjustment in a 48x48 cell table for fine resolution of adjustment. In the case of the Genesis, the left axis is the MAP sensor. Fuel change is expressed as % change from stock. Allowed values are +/-100% from stock.

The boost table allows for either an offset or open-loop strategy. Typically we run them in offset, and just add or subtract solenoid duty cycle as needed. The Genesis is quite sensitive to boost solenoid changes and only needs 20-30% increase to achieve +10psi over stock.

The MAP and TIP clamp tables allow us to limit the output back to the ECU from the MAP and TIP sensors, to keep the car out of boost cut/limp mode. While the stock ECU doesn't see the additional boost, we can still fully map the fuel curve according to the original sensor readings.

The CMD-1810 for the 2010 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T will retail for $449 with the complete plug-n-play harness. Currently we are offering the pre-release version at $419, and on top of that, Genesisforums.org members can PM their order to us here for an additional 10% discount! That's right, be the first in your neighborhood to have a CMD on your Genesis 2.0T for only $377!

For additional information, check out the CMD website at Dynojet Research Inc. Combustion Management Device(CMD)

If you have any further questions, e-mail us at sales@dynojetcmd.com or call us at 800-992-4993.
EDIT 8/28/2009: Harness is now 50% complete
Engineering just informed me that we now have the boost solenoid and crank sensor plugs. That makes the harness 50% complete as of today. You would still need to tap the TPS and intercept the TIP and MAP sensors.

I will go back and edit my original posts to reflect this (ImAuthenticFTW, you might want to edit your OP in this thread to reflect this as well).

33hp/71ft-lbs peak to peak gain, all stock car with a CMD on a 100* day with 91 octane pump gas.

#3 ·
Keep in mind guys, this is just a piggyback that controls boost and fuel, not ignition or anything else like that.....

#5 ·
I don't mind playing with this while I am working on my other project. Pm sent.

#6 ·
And I now know that this was just a cut and paste from genesisforums.org. LoL! I'll get a hold of the vendor and see what's up with this.

#7 ·
Ok, so the full plug and play version will not be available until October. Plus this seems to be great for the bolt-on DIY experienced tuner, not an amateur. Beyond Redline should be able to help dish out a "tune" for you, but to be on the safe side, you will have to at least get a wideband so you can monitor your AFR.

So for what it is, it's a STEAL.

#9 ·
even if its a piggy back.

atleast for the price you can tweak a bit more here and there if you get minor mods.

although i dont really like piggybacks, as they are just "tricking" the ecu.

but this doesnt look bad at all

#10 ·
^^ It really isn't bad. If you plan to stay with bolt-ons then I'd say go for it. :)

#12 ·
if you look at the screen shot the program reads the AFR off the stock O2 sensor, which i am assuming is factory wideband

i rather have the AEM FIC! =P
then make a thread about that and dont whore my thread about it

#13 ·
^^^ The factory O2 readings are NOT wideband readings. Just so you know. The reading that's on the screen is probably from one that was hooked up to the tailpipe, or from one that's in-pipe (UEGO).

#14 ·
that sucks, the factory O2 in my civic is a wideband lol

#17 ·
Just a HEADS UP guys, a Rep from DynoJet HAS joined gencoupe since i let him know about this, and is awaiting approval for his account to be activated, once that is done he will chime in here, he is also awaiting Vendor status

#19 ·
There is no difference between this and a ECU flash, gains are gains you just can do the R and D work your self. The major draw back of this is though that it's for minor bolt ons only. As it was pointed out you can just wait another couple months and buy map flashes where a custom tuner does the same thing and use those on your car for the same price it cost to buy this and the wide band sensor. Then when you upgrade the turbo and such later you don't have extra stuff laying around you just re-flash again and go, or dyno tune it, via PA, or BR. For stock like cars, and for experienced tuners this would be the best bet if your going to stay stock like.

#21 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure you could use this system in conjunction with an ECU reflash as well. Say you want to tweak your tune for a new fmic, or other small adjustments. Load up the software, adjust fuel and/or boost a bit... I don't see people who plan on replacing internals using this as their only solution, but it will be a good solution for the bolt on guys and perhaps even a slightly bigger turbo.

That torque curve is a lot fatter on the bottom than a v6

#23 ·
difference is.....

you can get dynojet tuned almost anywhere or even tune it yourself.. poweraxel requires their vct which they charge a lot for.... so you have to tune through them or one of their vendors which im sure offsets the cost of the tune slightly (not to mention I have no plans of driving 2+ hours to a poweraxel shop ever. I didnt move to the city to drive out to hickville wisconsin every time I want a tune).

Yes.. this isnt' a ecu flash.... but for stage1 mods it'll let u tune enough to get u by until something opensource for ecu comes out.

#24 ·
They posted that over on GenesisForums over the weekend.

I called and spoke with Keith who is in charge of the CMD program at Dynojet on Monday.

The kit they have now is a "tuner" kit. I asked him what that meant so he explained it. Basically the system is ready to go BUT... they only have the harnesses for the injectors so its not all plug and play at this point. You would need to splice into the rest of the sensors for the readings needed to operate the unit.

He said they are hoping to have the finished plug and play setup out in October sometime.

I was going to order the system Monday but I refuse to hack the wiring in my car. So.... the waiting game is still on.

#25 ·
I was going to order the system Monday but I refuse to hack the wiring in my car. So.... the waiting game is still on.
Do you think something like this solution would be sufficient for tuning on the stock looking upgraded turbos you guys are working on? Or will increased boost need timing adjustments as well?

#27 ·
We have been able to produce the dyno graphs shown of 222hp/276tq to the wheels with a peak of 23psi boost, no timing retard and no knock. CMD only, no other mods. Car has about 230 miles on it now. This was done in 100* weather here in Vegas with 91 octane pump gas.

Our purchasing dept is saying mid-October for delivery of the final PNP connectors for the Genesis. Some of the other will be trickling in between now and then. As we get them, we will add them to the Genesis version of the tuner harness (at the same end-user price) to facilitate the installation for those that don't mind the tapping and splicing of some of the wires.

#29 ·
I am assuming this mod is not for noobs? I'm half tempted to buy this but if it requires setting the "tune" myself, I would be too worried I would screw my car up.

#36 ·
If you have the basic principles down (don't run a turbo car leaner than about 11.8:1 a/f) and have a wideband device either on the car or at a dyno center if that's where you choose to tune, then it should be pretty straight forward. These cars are very rich from the factory, so extremely safe.

The basics would be to log some runs with a "0" or pass thru map in the CMD. Create a histogram in the software and play the logs. From the logs, create TIP and MAP clamp tables so that as you increase boost, the computer will not go into limp mode.

Since the air/fuel is so rich stock, I'd first start increasing the boost with the boost offset table until either you reach your target maximum boost for the car, or the car achieves your desired a/f ratio. If you reach your max boost point before the a/f reaches that desired a/f ratio, then tune the fuel with the boost being a constant. If you reach your desired a/f ratio before you are done turning up the boost, simply add some fuel in the fuel map to keep it safe, then proceed increasing the boost. Repeat until you are happy with the boost level and a/f ratios. Pretty easy really. It will take some time to get 100%, but if you have enough computer saavy to be on an internet forum, you can likely tune the car. :)

Yeah, I was wondering this as well. This mod looks extremely tempting and for the price its a steal. But, I havent really tuned cars before, I love the fact I can tune the entire map / boost to my likings with this mod, but this would be a first for me. So, Im wondering is there any way to get like template maps? say ones for completely stock cars and want to lessen boost / increase mpg...and other templates for say, little extra boost, for more power?
As mentioned, the unit will come with a "0" map. We will be providing a fuel-tuning only and fuel/boost tuning map online. We may even offer different maps at different boost levels. Remember that as long as the car has a functioning narrowband O2 sensor, it is in closed-loop at part throttle. In these areas, the CMD does nothing at this time. You would have to have the narrow band spoofing active (as mentioned earlier - that will be available later with the addition of the WB2 and AutoTune) to open those areas of the map for adjustment.

yeah if you dont know how to tune a car.
dont try it with this, but you can take it to a dyno and have them do it for you.
If you look at what I wrote above, it's not voodoo and rocket science. Just take your time, be conservative and methodical and anyone can do it.

Dynojetresearch, quick question. the unit says it supports a Wb sensor threw CAN. do you guys have anything setup on the box that would alow the WB sensor to be outputed?

say you want an afr gauge. but dont want to stuff the innovative wb controller in your dash somewhere, if its built into yours already, all it would need is the output.

just wondering. thought about it last night.
The CMD does not have a wideband built into it, but we do sell the WideBand 2 product. This unit is currently available with either a gauge or LCD touch screen display. This is the unit I mentioned above that has the narrow band O2 spoofing build it. While the CMD and the WB2 both have CAN communication ports, and will talk down the road to allow the AutoTune features, they don't as of yet. That is just a firmware upgrade though, something that is planned to be done in the field.

This looks exactly like the MAFTerburner for the Tiburon that NGM made. Same price point and same functionality it looks like. Good deal for what you get, but it doesn't offer thorough, full tuning of the ECU.

This type of product was very popular with Tib drivers and I'm sure it will develop a following with BK drivers as well.

On the maps being shared... I imagine if you can update the firmware via USB I'd bet you could download the maps to your computer and store them online to be shared... unless Dynojet prevents this on the unit somehow.
On the surface, it may look similar to a MAFTerburner, but one BIG difference is that we have direct control of the injector pulsewidth rather than skewing sensor inputs to effect a change. The MAFTerburner skewed the MAF meter data going back to the stock ECU, effectively telling the ECU that less air was getting into the motor. The ECU took that information and selected a different LOAD CELL, where less load equals less fuel. The problem with skewing the info going to the ECU is that less load also usually means MORE TIMING, which can be a bad thing.

In the case of the CMD on the Genesis 2.0T, we take the input from the TIP and MAP sensors, TP%, crank for RPM, each individual injector signal and the boost control solenoid signal. We then output our own injector signal going to the injector and our own boost signal going to the boost control solenoid. By using TIP and MAP as reference ONLY, we allow the stock ECU to continue to do what it wants to do. At WOT, we do have the ability to clamp TIP and MAP, so that at some point we limit what the ECU sees to keep it from going into limp mode.

#30 ·
Yeah, I was wondering this as well. This mod looks extremely tempting and for the price its a steal. But, I havent really tuned cars before, I love the fact I can tune the entire map / boost to my likings with this mod, but this would be a first for me. So, Im wondering is there any way to get like template maps? say ones for completely stock cars and want to lessen boost / increase mpg...and other templates for say, little extra boost, for more power?

#33 ·
This looks exactly like the MAFTerburner for the Tiburon that NGM made. Same price point and same functionality it looks like. Good deal for what you get, but it doesn't offer thorough, full tuning of the ECU.

I think if it were me I'd rather wait the few days in shipping to have Power Axel write me a customized tune based on info I provide them, and get a comprehensive flash, but that's just me.

This type of product was very popular with Tib drivers and I'm sure it will develop a following with BK drivers as well.

On the maps being shared... I imagine if you can update the firmware via USB I'd bet you could download the maps to your computer and store them online to be shared... unless Dynojet prevents this on the unit somehow.

The big problem here however is that once we start sharing fuel/boost maps we've each written or set to target on our own cars, we're going to end up with a few guys here and there blowing something important up because of missed details or lack of experience.

#31 ·
I'm pretty sure it comes with a "base tune" in the firmware of the system. If it doesn't t I'm not sure it'll be the best solution for me either as getting dyno time and tuning it would raise the cost quite a bit, probably above a reflash.

#32 ·
yeah if you dont know how to tune a car.

dont try it with this, but you can take it to a dyno and have them do it for you.

although its piggybacking, there still is a possibility you can run it too lean and pop it.

but for the people that understand what needs to be changed. this is pretty cool.

Dynojetresearch, quick question. the unit says it supports a Wb sensor threw CAN. do you guys have anything setup on the box that would alow the WB sensor to be outputed?

say you want an afr gauge. but dont want to stuff the innovative wb controller in your dash somewhere, if its built into yours already, all it would need is the output.

just wondering. thought about it last night.

#34 ·
Exactly what can't be played with, with such device that can be played with, with an ECU flash?

Are internet community known for sharing their "personal" map? Can the "settings" be saved to a laptop and traded with other users?

Quartermaster said:
The big problem here however is that once we start sharing fuel/boost maps we've each written or set to target on our own cars, we're going to end up with a few guys here and there blowing something important up because of missed details or lack of experience.
Darwin Award?

#35 ·
Ronin -

As far as I know - and I dont work for Dynojet so don't quote me - but this appears to only control boost and fuel input.

A full-on reprogramming of the ECU software alters any/all values the ECU handles. For example, a full flash can alter boost, fuel, timing, ignition, duty cycles, CVVT advance/retard, idle revs, set points for sender units to throw CELs/warnings, set points for safety cut-outs, etc so on and so forth.

#37 ·
Ronin -
As far as I know - and I dont work for Dynojet so don't quote me - but this appears to only control boost and fuel input.

A full-on reprogramming of the ECU software alters any/all values the ECU handles. For example, a full flash can alter boost, fuel, timing, ignition, duty cycles, CVVT advance/retard, idle revs, set points for sender units to throw CELs/warnings, set points for safety cut-outs, etc so on and so forth.
That is correct, the CMD controls fuel and boost. It can also limit or clamp TIP and MAP to keep the stock ECU out of limp mode. The map files are .c4m (Cmd 4-cylinder Map) files and are not locked. Anyone can e-mail them to anyone else with the same CMD configuration to try.

The other things mentioned, like CVVT, idle revs, etc are not things the CMD was designed to control. We feel that for the broad majority of enthusiasts that those features are not the main focus of tuning. If you need those kinds of things because you've gone to bigger cam(s), big bore pistons, etc, then you would probably be leaning more toward a custom tune (if available) or a standalone ECU.

The customers that we are targeting with the CMD is the plug-and-play, bolt on performance segment which seems to account for 90+% of the enthusiasts out there. In this segment, we believe the CMD fills a gap by giving the enthusiast/owner the ability to tune his/her own car or simply use the maps that we provide. This has worked very well for Dynojet in it's widely acclaimed Power Commander line of motorcycle/ATV products.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.