Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

SFR tune might have messed up my car.

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  dbates1107 
#1 ·
My 2012 2.0 AT was running fine before i put stage 1.5 SFR tune in. Once i put it in it started making this weird grinding-like sound when it was about to shift. i wasnt really worried though. i took it to the dyno yesterday and the results showed 120hp and 11.3lbs of boost ): im not too sure whats wrong at this point.. i've taken it to atleast 3 mechanics and they dont know what to tell me. there is no boost leak or anything that they can find. please help ):

#3 ·
No this isn't a troll post im just clueless. thanks for replying tho. I dunno what to do at this point besides put the stock ECU back in and just call SFR.. and the dyno results really shocked me. they didnt even do the 3 pulls. after the first one they showed me the 120hp and said something on my car is ****ed up and we shouldn't run it anymore. and about the grinding noise - no i dont still beat on it. im gentle and a little bit concerned. the noise is coming from the drivers side and its pretty loud when it does happen.

#4 ·
Sorry to hear. We got back to you via website email.
First of all, I assume you still have your stock ECU in hands if you ordered a pre tuned ECU? IF so try using the stock tune and see how much boost you can make.
It just don't make sense it's making way lower than stock whp numbers and boost and we can only suspect something mechanical and nothing related to the tune.
Sure we would never know if we see and check in person. Check with stock ECU to see how much boost it makes first. If it's still making low boost start looking at all the vacuum lines to start with.
Hope this helps.

#7 ·
I don't believe the tuned ECU alone could have caused some type of mechanical hardware failure THAT soon unless you were beating on that thing like it was a high dollar hooker. Change the ECU back to the stock ECU and if the problem doesn't go away then take it to your local Hyundai Dealership and get them to look at it, assuming nothing on your car is going to kill your warranty with Hyundai.

#9 ·
My 2012 2.0 AT was running fine before i put stage 1.5 SFR tune in. Once i put it in it started making this weird grinding-like sound when it was about to shift. i wasnt really worried though. i took it to the dyno yesterday and the results showed 120hp and 11.3lbs of boost ): im not too sure whats wrong at this point.. i've taken it to atleast 3 mechanics and they dont know what to tell me. there is no boost leak or anything that they can find. please help ):
Sorry to hear. We got back to you via website email.
First of all, I assume you still have your stock ECU in hands if you ordered a pre tuned ECU? IF so try using the stock tune and see how much boost you can make.
It just don't make sense it's making way lower than stock whp numbers and boost and we can only suspect something mechanical and nothing related to the tune.
Sure we would never know if we see and check in person. Check with stock ECU to see how much boost it makes first. If it's still making low boost start looking at all the vacuum lines to start with.
Hope this helps.
No this isn't a troll post im just clueless. thanks for replying tho. I dunno what to do at this point besides put the stock ECU back in and just call SFR.. and the dyno results really shocked me. they didnt even do the 3 pulls. after the first one they showed me the 120hp and said something on my car is ****ed up and we shouldn't run it anymore. and about the grinding noise - no i dont still beat on it. im gentle and a little bit concerned. the noise is coming from the drivers side and its pretty loud when it does happen.
Did it make that noise before you stuck the SFR ECU in? **** sounds sketchy af
Def out the stock ECU back in. Also do you have a boost gauge and or OBD2 connector and tablet? Check for codes, check boost levels and report back.
I don't believe the tuned ECU alone could have caused some type of mechanical hardware failure THAT soon unless you were beating on that thing like it was a high dollar hooker. Change the ECU back to the stock ECU and if the problem doesn't go away then take it to your local Hyundai Dealership and get them to look at it, assuming nothing on your car is going to kill your warranty with Hyundai.
I can almost guarantee it's not the tune. Like Melbu said, take it in the dealer. Just go back to stock and take it in. I would not recommend driving it around anymore, especially if the noise is that bad.
As soon as i get back in town im going to put the stock ECU back in and get it checked out. Also before i left for Labor Day weekend i checked the codes and it just said to replace my cat (turbo back exhaust with no cat). Also i had a question about running lean or rich with the SFR Tune. Sorry im a newbie. How does the tune know how to adjust if there is no o2 sensor? I think part of the problem might be im running super rich not too sure though. Like i said when i get back in town tonight im gonna get it checked out.

#10 ·
As soon as i get back in town im going to put the stock ECU back in and get it checked out. Also before i left for Labor Day weekend i checked the codes and it just said to replace my cat (turbo back exhaust with no cat). Also i had a question about running lean or rich with the SFR Tune. Sorry im a newbie. How does the tune know how to adjust if there is no o2 sensor? I think part of the problem might be im running super rich not too sure though. Like i said when i get back in town tonight im gonna get it checked out.
Looks to me like the SFR tune doesn't address some of the settings in the catalyst diagnostics and it is leading the ECU to believe that there is an issue.

#14 ·
No, he's saying if the mil code is for the 2nd cat, it has nothing to do with the issue you are describing.
What specific codes are you getting?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.