Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

constant limp mode sfr stage 1.5

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  KotaQuad 
#1 ·
what's up guys, names Dave I have a 2010 2.0t track. full turbo back intake and as of a few days ago sfr stage 1.5 canned tune

I come from the 240 world, built 2 big turbo skyline swapped s13s, new to the forum but I'm no newbie to turbo cars

first main issue - yes it's only been 2 days but every time I've driven my car it's gone into limp mode after a 2nd or 3rd gear pull. from some of the past posts I've read from searching is downright scary. saying since sfr tune is constant limp mode and nothing to help fix. really hoping that's not my case

the search function on this forum is kinda badass but sucks at the same time. lot of bitching and some questions that make me feel stupider after reading - but that's deep years ago, just hard to find an answer to a ?.

so, from what I've gathered the only solution to constant limp mode is to send my ecu back to sfr?

wastegate hasn't been touched, stock bcs, stock bpv ran off an actual vac source, catless

thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
Good luck.

Pretty much every limp mode thread inevitably falls into the abyss after the typical vendor response "we've tuned hundreds of cars with success."

#3 ·
that's what I'm afraid of. I did not spend 615$ to have my car be like this.

I've tried contacting sfr, and they respond to maybe one email a week. I have NEVER spoke to anyone on the phone. email after email very kindly asking numerous time to just PLEASE call me. by no means am I dissing sfr but when a customer spends that much money on your product you NEED to follow up with proper customer service.

I read somewhere that someone swapped some wastegate lines around?

and is this the bcs or the throttle that's limiting boost? it has to be bcs because it holds 5psi. if the topography changes and throttle plate stays in the same spot car will be under more or less load = more or less boost

So why not bypass the stock bcs and run a mbc set at 16-17lbs?

#4 ·
Ya, this is why I went with the other big name tuner. Every time I hopped on here I saw oh no my car is doing this and this and has a SFR tune how do I fix. I just didn't want to run into problems and never seen any threads come up describing problems with the tune I got.

Hope you figure it out or get in contact with Jay. Sorry I can't be of help since I never experienced anything like this.

#7 ·
We were out of office all week after coming back from Korea then responding all Emails while being out of office hence why we recommended to communicate through email.

Please specify what you are exactly experiencing because it may or may not be the limp mode. With our new stage 1 or 1.5 haven't had any issues with limp mode. However we've seen some mechanical P2261 BOV problems with stock or some brands of BOV.

Again please communicate through the original communication form. We do our best to get back to all customers ASAP but after coming back from Korea and having the tuning events every weekends at many locations, it's hard for us to get back to you real time sometimes.

Sorry for the inconvenience and understanding. Thank you

#8 ·
no worries jay, all is good. as long as I'm not being blown off all is fine with me

any pull really, car with hold 5psi until shut off and back on. cel came on after this happened few times. it's off now and hasn't happened in 2 days. a lot of people also said that happened to their car in the beginning, then it stopped happening

jay - I know your not going to recommend it but I just don't like bcs's. mbc' when used properly work much better. currently no wideband but on the 13t your tune is designed to peak about 17ish lbs correct?

#9 ·
okay, so I think we're good for now. been driving for past 2 days and hasn't happened since.

Gotta give it to ya Jay, that's one hell of a basemap. ran my buddies 9 with turbo back and reflash stayed dead next till top 4th when he started pulling awAy. never expected to be in a modded evo category with a freggin td04

but, I also tried a mbc at 16 lbs and suprisingly the stock bcs holds boost unbelievably better. mbc would bleed down to 10ish at 5k

#10 ·
Thank you. Few things i have to inform you here.
holding 5psi is definitely something related to your BOV. It's either getting stuck or partially leaking not being responsive enough or can't hold proper boost. My guess is not being responsive enough with added amount of boost like some people are having issues with. We've been seeing that a lot with Solenoid based BOV like older version of Synapse BOV. If you are in "Limp mode" you will not be able to boost at all yet your RPM will be limited to 3-4k so what you are experiencing isn't definitely "Limp mode" but more or mechanical.
It would spike 17-18psi depends on your mods are what gear you are in. running MBC isn't never meant to be for the tune and will have higher chance getting into actual "Limp mode". Hope this helps. Thank you

#11 ·
I have a tial q on the way anyways.

bov has been running off the manifold for a few days now and since then it hasn't happened.

it would hold constant 5psi, until I shut my car off and restarted it. cel came on. never checked what code was for, cel went of, hasnt returned since.

I'm not sure what the name of said occurrence is, but that baby holds 5 psi like a rock until you restart. plently, and plenty of threads about it, just no answers. limp mode boost cut idk I just wanted to know if the actual physical lowering of the boost was done with the throttle plate or the bcs

but my car runs fine now I just wish it wasn't so damn hot

#12 ·
Jay, I got a question you might be able to answer. I got your stage 1 for 93 oct basic bolt-ons and auto for my 2011 and The first week was great with the tune, but within the beginning of the next week the tune started to kick in around 20mph and I had a major issue that went away after disconnecting the battery aswell.

So, first thing i want to know is why does it kick in around 20mph? Kind of like vtech.

Second issue I live like 10 mins from home so this was an easy just cruise home and reset next night. Car already warmed up and I decided to punch it to get home alittle quicker. My neighborhood is on a hill so I DONT know if that had to do with it but at about 50/60mph and getting half way up the hill all of the sudden i heard a loud pop/stock cha. It was way louder than just having an aftermarket intake and my engine came on and I lost all power super fast.I would say it literally dropped to 20 mph within seconds and self drove at that speed with the engine light on all the way home. I COULD NOT STOP THE CAR. I literally lost brake power. It was hard to push the brake pedal even with 2 feet so I had to use my e-brake to stop the car completely and the car wanted to die and shook hard.

What happened? After I disconnected the battery over night and plugged it back in, the engine light came in and the tune seemed to be more responsive now. I havent pushed the car hard afterwards and am afraid to put in my bov incase this happened again. I was told limp mode but scanners come up with no codes whatsoever.

Can you pm me what you think happened?

#13 ·
I put the stock BOV on today and still got this damn code, I've tried everything and nobody seems to have an answer...I just can't believe almost 50K miles no issues then once we reset the ecu now we have this issue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.