Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

took on a v6 with a tune :)

8K views 80 replies 25 participants last post by  ControlFreak 
#1 ·
so as some of you know i have an auto with the sfr tune, custom magnaflow exhaust and intake. well saturday night me and my buddy who has a v6 six speed track with an ark exhaust and tune from sfr. we went to an open road late at night, we started from a stop we were neck and neck all the way up to 80 and he started to pull on me. i would say about a car length before we stopped.

i have yet to take on a stock v6 but i m pretty sure i will beat it. i was really shocked that it was such a close race between us, i was pretty sure he would destroy me. i just felt like sharing this with you guys lol i ll try and do it during the day and video it

#4 ·
Mmmeeehhh i dont know about this... I have 235ish whp and its a drivers race with a 6spd 3.8 with basic bolt ons.

#5 ·
The SFR tune for the 2.0 gives you a lot more than the SFR tune for the 3.8. So, you are probably pretty close to the power range of the 3.8 with your setup :)

#36 ·
Except this guy has 20inch boat anchors on all four wheels. And is an auto which has been proven to put down the equivelant hp of a second gen miata.

My guess, it the v6 driver forgot to push down on the gas.

#25 · (Edited)
Agreed. This is where the 3.8 wins on the track. The Tq helps pull the car faster out of the turns. That slight edge adds up if the drivers' skills are equal. Both cars are great though and nicely matched.

Pulling much more horsepower from the 2.0 has got to be rewarding though... seems like they're much less dependable as a result though.

#7 ·
I'm guessing extra tq and slightly less weight helps a stock turbo 20.6 w/ a tune and boltons keep up with a v6 at legal speeds. Once you pass them the v6 kinda pulls away a bit. check the 1/4mile times and speeds. the 2.0t is in the 98mph range when maxing the stock turbo at around 14 seconds, 3.8 is over 100mph and usually breaks into the 13s.

#8 ·
with the sfr tune i get consistent flat 14 seconds quarter miles @99-101mph
i think i could be in the 13's but i'm too stupid to make good launches

#9 ·
i think thats why i kept up with him up till about 80 bc of my tq but i have no idea what it is haha, but i heard stock for stock a 2.0 is faster off the line and then the v6 is better from 60 to 100. this is what my dealer told me when i bought my car. i figured i would post this to show theres some hope for us with some basic bolt ons and a tune

#10 ·
I was also going to add this:

You where driving an auto. It takes some decent skills to drag with a stick properly. I am not trying insulting the other driver by any means.... However, I have seen many less than skilled stick drivers think that all you do is drop the clutch and go to redline..... If you do this you are pretty much assured a lost race against a similar powered car. I am sure that gave you an edge.

#13 ·
redline is the most efficient shift point for extending the powerband in this car, someone already did the math.

#14 ·
^Which RPM within Redline Band? I know the SFR brings it up to 7,200 wondering if going all the way up to 7,200 rpm could be the issue. Anyone figured that out? I personally feel like the car has nothing left after liek 6,500. 7,200 is fun but I never really felt it pull more. It just seemed nice to not have to worry about hitting the limiter.

#20 ·
6900 seems to be the sweet spot for me, I also have the raised redline.

Also the flat on your face feeling. I promise you will go away with larger injectors, with a tune to match of course.

Everyone says the problem is the turbo and the restrictive turbine housing, but you do feel it pick up and go longer past 5500 with the larger injectors.

#16 ·
I've long maintained that the 2.0T has the faster gearing and that a 3.8 with the 2.0T rear end would be a lot more impressive relative to it's class competitors. Generally, I think if you can get fairly similar power levels in both cars I would guess the 2.0T would edge out the 3.8 just because of gearing.

Keep in mind people are testing mustangs with 3.73 rear ends and the 3.8 MT has 3.54 final drive.

#22 ·
I've heard someone else say the sweet spot is around 6900 as well. I originally calculated the shift points in my Torque VS Horsepower thread and decided redline was always going to be the fastest. I reserve judgment beyond that, however, as I've never looked at a power curve that takes it beyond 6500 RPM. I could see it being different with increased redline depend on how quickly the torque curve plunged beyond 6500.

My initial shoot from the hip guess is that 1st and 2nd are still going to be fastest to redline - at least. I wouldn't be that surprised if it was faster for 3rd as well but I just can't be sure since I've never calculated it. 1st and 2nd are really tight, short, gears so even with significant drop in the torque curve I could see them still applying higher relative torque. In the end though, I doubt it's going to make a huge difference in actual race time.

#32 ·
I've heard someone else say the sweet spot is around 6900 as well. I originally calculated the shift points in my Torque VS Horsepower thread and decided redline was always going to be the fastest. I reserve judgment beyond that, however, as I've never looked at a power curve that takes it beyond 6500 RPM. I could see it being different with increased redline depend on how quickly the torque curve plunged beyond 6500.
I think that other person was me... I used the following link combined with the BR Stage 3 dyno to get the numbers.

Interactive Best Shift Points Program

Haven't done it for a stock turbo w/ 7200 red line though (might do a stage 2 one later today)

#26 ·
when i first got tuned it was a basic tune raised redline to 7200 in 5 gear and Neutral , i got retuned last saturday he uped my psi 1 and faster shifting points. i never notice what my car shifted at between gears before the tune but now i notice when i m nailing it it shifts around 6300 - 6500

#24 ·
Spartan use beyond redlines stage 3 dyno. I believe it's to 7200

#31 ·
The few dyno's I've seen from SFR shows better midrange gains than PAs, IIRC. Not 100% sure but I thought SFR made more usable power and PA made more peak power...

#30 ·
my one buddy from havoc has a v6 with a pa tune and ark exhaust auto maybe i ll see if hes around this weekend, but a few months ago we we re on the parkway and he nailed it and i was half a car behind him and i floored it i passed him i dk if he was on the gas all the way but we got up there. so i dont rele no i m dieing to rce him from a stop lol

#33 · (Edited)
Quicker shift points would help a ton. As far as "when" it shifts, I wouldn't bother touching those settings. You can always put in dummy stick mode and just shift it.

Also don't like that it shifts into the next gear automatically at redline in the dummy stick mode.

Sigh~~ When I had all my upgrades, I walked a 3.8 :p

Guess thats what I get for having too much fun :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.