Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

CNT V3 Driveshaft/Muffler Height Problem

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  danzigs_MISFITS 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok I know there is plenty of threads on this exhaust so don't hit me with the "search" comments. Installed this last night, and despite from everything I had heard online I didn't think the install was as bad as anticipated.

So as everyone says, I went into an exhaust shop today and asked them to adjust the hangers so the tips were at a level height. They told me that if they raised the driver side tip it would result in the center muffler also being pulled up and not give enough clearance to the drive shaft, so they offered to cut out the center muffler and weld in piping but another 200 in parts and labor was not looking attractive to me... Anyone else ran into this problem with the CNT V3?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Try the Torque Solution hanger mounts. They're supposed to pull the exhaust closer to the body and give a better fitment over OEM hangers. I'll be making that same move relatively soon. Just been lazy about ordering the mounts :p

#5 ·
I got the mounts. They help a bit. Just get them to heat up the hanger itself and bend it to pull the tips up. They help more with minimal movement of the tips. It's a thicker solid piece then stock.

I've messed around with my exhaust enough. Had my friend weld and reweld to get it right. I got a hookup so it didn't cost me much. don't take out the resonator. It will make your car raspy, drone, everything that will make it sound like a civic with a fart can. Trust me. I tried replacing the resonator with vibrant resonators and you lose the awesome deep tone of the cnt. There's really no fix for the resonator hanging low unless you replace it. It's a lot of work to try and tuck it up more. Might as well sell the CNT and go custom exhaust.

Hope that helps.

#8 ·
i think i remember someone saying they went barbarian on it, and smashed in the center of the top of the muffler with a hammer so it was concave and would clear the driveshaft

#10 ·
Op - you're talking about the center muffler in regards to clearance to the driveshaft, right? Not the resonators?

I had a local shop pound in the heatshield with a mallet to gain clearance to the center muffler, but I had no real issues with the driveshaft itself.

I got the torque solution mounts and they helped a little with fitment, but they really helped the most with stiffening up the exhaust. With the OEM mounts, the tips would move all over the place over rough roads.

Anyways, here are some pics of my CNT V3. Not perfect, but it's decent. I spent a lot of time playing around with the tips. First pic is before the mounts (and before I spent more time playing around with fitment). Second and third pics are after mounts and time fiddling with the tips.

#11 · (Edited)
Sorry my terminology isn't the best =) I'm talking about the portion of the exhaust that combines into a single center muffler that bolts up directly to the cats. This is the portion of the exhaust that hangs the lowest and also hangs the closest to the driveshaft. I already removed the heat shield because I had read on here that several people had done this to ease the install and have had no negative problems associated with heat removing it. So what had happened was when I asked the shop to adjust the hangers on the driver side in order to level out the exhaust tips, they said that by slightly increasing the height of the tips it would result in the center muffler being pulled to close to the driveshaft so they said they couldn't do anything. So I'm just curious if anyone who has had the exhaust tips adjusted has in turn had the center muffler get pulled up in response to that and had it hit the driveshaft. I'm assuming they were just nervous about the clearance and wanted to not any chances that would fall back on them.

Thank you for your response

#13 ·
Thanks! I like my car as well lol.

As for the exhaust, I think I know what you mean, unfortunately I am not sure what to say. I actually played with loosening up the drivers side resonator/tip assembly, holding it in the place where I wanted it, and then re-tightening the bolts. That helped a little bit. Other than that, there may not be much clearance between the center muffler and the driveshaft, I don't doubt what your shop said. Not sure how much you can really do, other than removing the center muffler.

#14 ·
Gotcha, well I knew what I was getting into when getting an economy exhaust. Since a lot of people have had the hangers adjusted and I haven't read of anyone getting any rattling on the driveshaft, I'm just gonna bank that it would vary shop to shop on which one would want to do it. I'm going to go to another shop and try to get them to do it, the system bolts up real tight as it is right now so I'm banking a slight raise in the tips shouldn't cause a significant change to the center muffler. Will update when I find out something new. Thanks again, very helpful!

#15 · (Edited)
GOOD NEWS!!!

Took it up to a maxi muffler this morning and these guys thought it would be better to heat up the piping and slightly push it up toward the bumper to level out the tips. This wouldn't effect the driveshaft clearance in anyway. $43 later.... This is the final product...

I couldn't be happier, the sound and look of the exhaust is perfect. And most importantly, THE PRICE!!

Spent under $600 total for this exhaust, was hesitant at first but I am thrilled. Anyways, if anyone is nervous about getting this exhaust because of the fitment rumors and what not....Just pull the trigger and get it!!

#18 ·
I just had a local shop cut the driver's side hanger, and make it about an inch shorter. Did the trick for me. I still have at least an inch between the center resonator and the driveshaft. $20

#20 ·
I am glad that you got the exhaust to fit. I am lucky and have a lift so when I put my exhaust on I had a fellow co worker help me adjust the exhaust. I found it easy to just put the exhaust in with the bolts finger tight and tighten and pull until things line up. I had clearance issue on the right side near the floor heat shield and driveshaft. With two people it was adjusted right it is close but no hitting. I also deleted the 2nd cat and it does sound awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.