Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

help =(

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Bigirish1189 
#1 ·
Ive searched tons of threads and cant really find anyone with the same issue.. i have a 2010 3.8 grand touring...i have an sri and axelback...everyting is stock except for coils. Car starts up fine, start driving, as soon as i hit 3k-4k rpms in any gear after 2nd the engine seems to change in exhaust note, it turns into more of a slower woble like cams from a v8, i dont lose power or throttle it just doesnt sound good. After i push through those rpms anytthing higher sounds back to normal for the most part. I am also getting a wierd noise from up front as if wind is blowing over the hood ( even though i promise its not that, just trying to exlpain how it sounds, like wind or air getting sucked) popped the hood sri is installed properly and firm everything seems tight and snug. Idk if its just a bad batch of gas i got last weekend, trying to get through it so i can an get premium next round.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated, again i just spent the last two hours searching on here and saw some people saying they had an pulley idler problem, but their symptoms didnt match fine...car sounds perfect at idle, i think its been 5 years so im probably out of warranty, so im scared to take into the dealer, especially since they tried to charge me 2k for a broken trans pan last time i went...Thanks again.

#2 ·
If you bought the car new, the Hyundai warranty is 10 years on powertrain. So you can always take it to them and see what they say.

I'd revert it to stock intake though and possible exhaust first and see if the problem still persists.

Frankly, I'm not really understanding your symptoms from your description.

• Did the issue just start or has it been happening for a while?
• Did it start around the time you installed the SRI?

Also, you mentioned gas and putting in premium this next time.

• Have you not been using premium?

The ECU adjusts between 87 and 91 octane, so putting in crappier gas is going to give your car less pep. You should always be using premium, assuming you care about performance.

#3 ·
No ive had the SRI in for months, and the axelback on for over a month. i have been using the cheaper gas (regular), forget what # it is. I'm not tuned so i barely ever bought premium and regular was always recommended. issue only came up in the last couple days. I still have a half tank, would i be bad to go fill up to full on premium and have them mixed? or wait until im on empty to fill with premium?

#4 ·
I do not know the answer to your fuel mixing question, but I would run it down to empty personally, if it were me.

You don't need a custom tune to see the benefits of 91 octane. You only need a tune to see benefits from 93+.

I noticed a big difference right away after filling up with 93. Hyundai only filled it up with 87 when you buy the car.

#5 ·
Was the axle back exhaust brand new when you put it on? If so it could be just "burning in" as some mufflers will sound different after a period of time. Do you notice the sound is different when it's cold and when it's hot? (the car temp)

#6 ·
These cars retard timing when first cranked until the engine is up to temp, my car will do almost exactly what you are talking about around the 2.5-4k RPM range, if trying to accelerate quickly, until my temp gauge reads about 50%. The timing retardation can make your car sound almost exactly like what you are describing. I'm not sure if this issue you are having presents itself all the time when you are driving but if it's only for the first few minutes than this is most likely your issue. If it's not this I would run my fuel tank to almost damn near empty and then fill up with 91-93 octane from a different station, preferably a Shell or Parkers. If the issue still doesn't go away, then revert back to stock starting with the intake system and see if the problem goes away. If it's still there after this then I would take it to the dealership or a shop and have them check it out.

#7 ·
Thanks guys, so mind you, the oil light never came on the dash, and i just had an oil change from a dealership 3k miles ago...BUT checked the oil, and i had zero oil in my car...i have no leaks no puddles ( i park in my garage) wich can only mean im burning it...now if im burning through 5 quarts of oil in 3k miles that is kind of scary. Filled the gen up with oil last night after seeing that. noises all went away so im glad i caught it moderately early. Taking it to the dealership this weekend with my reciepts...buddy told me my piston rings are probably shot if im burning through that much oil and hyundai will probably do another oil change, make me come back after that to measure how much ive burned, and determine if I will need a new engine. Il keep the thread updated, thanks for everyone's input =D

#8 ·
Wow! That's freaky on multiple points... I think I'll go check my oil :)

#10 ·
IF, and I seriously mean, "IF", his car was completely out of oil, how did it manage to continue running?????

Burning that much oil would send out a huge smoke signal and of course, if it was leaking, there would be oil all over the place, which he says there are no puddles.

Scotty, beam me up quickly. Something is wrong here on earth.

#11 ·
My 08 Chevy burns through oil like crazy. I usually check every 1500km but one time I had forgotten to check on the oil and I ran it dry. Truck still ran but I did notice it was a bit rough compared to usual. At that point I checked and found no oil. I never once blew out smoke.

#12 ·
You may have blown out enough oil to no longer be readable on the dip stick, but you definitely did not run it "Dry".:laugh:

#13 ·
Well I didn't have any oil with me to top it off and the closest gas station to me was next to my friends shop, so I just got them to do an oil change. I usually hang out with the tech that is working on my vehicle and that day when he went to drain the oil, nothing came out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.