Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Throttle Body Spacer, Benefit?

26K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  Gaijinn 
#1 ·
I ordered a P2R spacer with the pipe dream of a N2O kit. I've since given up that idea for a few reasons, but now I have a spacer.

Is there any benefit to installing, general internet searching, forum search is down?, says no benefit on a fuel injected engine?

Yes or No?

#4 ·
Actually I'm a little concerned about the noise.

After posting I found an obscure post an "obscure" forum where throwdown performance claimed +5.7whp on a stock, or modified, 3.8l

I figured I try it and see if the noise was too harsh.

#16 ·
Installed it yesterday after having a CNT catback installed.
I don't know the intake sound is "supposed" to be like but the only effect I might be able to tell is a throatier growl from the exhaust.

Hasn't harmed anything so it'll stay for now.

#18 ·
Those phenolic gaskets are kind of a waste. Bypass the throttle body coolant and use a proper one down where the surge tank mates with the manifold. The TorqueSolutions ones are HDPE, basically cutting board material and while strong, don't have very good chemical resistance and thermal properties. Most people that have used them long term find that they melt or droop after a time.

Opt for an o-ring type spacer whenever possible too, better seal that can be repositioned multiple times vs. the OE crush gaskets.

#22 ·
@Snoopy0812 , You said the torque solution gaskets are basically junk. Are they made from the same material as the P2R gaskets? I bought 2 P2R thermal gaskets and waiting on my grimmspeed phenolic to install them.

#24 ·
well I already put in a throttle body spacer when I had my throttle body done by max bore with those gaskets. I was talking about when I get the grimmspeed phenolic and put the P2R gaskets on each side of it. Slight derail I guess

#27 ·
Old post but a valid question....
These spacers were designed for older cars whereas the gas and air mixed together. The theory was this would help mix the gas with the air better before entering the engine. Since newer cars have PFI, DI, MPFI etc....only air is now passing through this area.
Besides sound as mentioned above, I am having some trouble seeing where these would do much of anything on our cars. Yes I see where they would increase air volume area and could cut down on turbulence. But this isn't always indicative of gains in hp.

I did some research on here and really don't see where they do a lot. I see some claim omg what a difference and others say no different then before. Are there any post showing before and after proof?
I'm just trying to decide on my next purchase and don't want anything that "might" work..

Things done so far.
SFR tune ECU and TCU
Solo exhaust
Stock box K&N drop in with heat wrap mod
Throttle booster

#28 ·
Sorry, I forgot to post this along with the above. I know what these spacers are for and do, just not seeing how they would benefit out DI engine. The following is copied from Cars Direct. But this same info can be found just about anywhere except forums

Type of Engine
These spacers mainly benefit older engines. In particular, those with fuel injection systems that have the fuel go directly into the throttle body, where it then mixes with air before going into the combustion chamber. It also can help with carburetor systems. However, if the vehicle has a multi-port fuel injection system or other top of the line system, then that small change in the air vortex will not make any difference to the performance, torque or horsepower. Therefore, before you go out and purchase a spacer, make sure your engine can actually benefit from having this upgrade.

#29 ·
From my base line logic, a throttlebody spacer won't really do anything, besides add a slight bit of volume to the area behind the throttlebody pate.

If you really want to lower intake temps, a spacer would be used between the intake manifold and the head.
Reason being, the head is part of the hottest point in the engine (the combustion chamber). The heat would travel through the head to any other connected parts.
By lowering the metal to metal contact between the head and the manifold (gaskets don't count since they are only a millimeter at most), This will isolate heat transfer, for the most part, through fasteners and the surrounding air in the engine compartment. The amount of heat transferred as a given volume of air passes through the ports, would be lessened.

#33 ·
I agree on the meth. meth pooling in the manifold is not a good thing, if it ignites.
But that would be from some weird valve timing issue.

Nitrous itself, doesn't matter IMO. It's the fueling nozzle location if it's wet nitrous.
Dry nitrous doesn't matter since it would be getting additional fuel from the injectors.

#32 ·
^^^The throttle body spacer for the BK2 is only relevant as to a place for a meth or nitrous injector. It adds no significant volume to air charge.

As to a true phenolic spacer, placing on just above the lower IM makes total sense, and it does a have a significant impact on keeping plenum temps down. If you do one in conjunction with thermal coatings and underside DEI heat barrier, your plenum will be "cold" to the touch even after hours of operation.

#34 ·
Initially I had one AEM meth injector in my throttle body spacer. Now with all my porting polishing and the 3.8 riser, the riser has six Devils own meth injectors.
**Purging sprays the intercooler and cools the TB.
The dry nitrous sprayer sprays just before the turbo compressor wheel. The inert cold ass charge goes to the IC,(The IC has external spayer), then the cold ass inert charge air/nitrous makes its way through the TB and plenum chilling it further. The plenum is full of cold inert boost/dry nitrous and then goes past the phenolic gasket and merges with pure methanol spray before entering the cylinder. BAAM..........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.