Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Canadian 2.0GT VS 3.8 base.. my dilema..

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Canuck 
#1 ·
here's my dilema that I am having with the 2.0GT VS the 3.8 base

$2000 in the difference between the two models (the 2.0GT being less), but is 2 grand really worth the 19's and the Brembo's, when most will probably switch wheels at some point anyways?

What the 2.0 GT benifits:
- 19” Aluminum Alloy Wheels
- Brembo Braking Package with Red 4 Piston Calipers
- GT Calibrated Suspension
- Strut Tower Bar (Front Suspension)
- Metal Foot Pedals

What the 3.8 benifits:
- Automatic Climate Control
- Black Leather Seats
- Proximity Entry with Electric Push Button Start
- Mirror Mounted Turn Signal Indicators

Everything else is essentially the same between these two models, obviously the engine difference.

Why would Hyundai not include those benifits on the 3.8, on the 2.0 GT???

I would personally prefer the 2.0t engine..

knowing me though, I will change the wheels, I will be installing coilovers and I could care less about the ricer metal foot padals, and i'd prefer the all black leather VS the two tone black leather/red cloth.

All of the benifits that i've included the 3.8 has above, I want, but like I said, the engine, i prefer the 2.0L.

So, what would you guys pick if you were in my shoes here?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm more for the 2.0T across the board. So 2.0.

I also agree that most people, while not at first but somewhere down the line, will be doing some modding from small changes to flatout re-builds.

I think those not into modding would go for the 3.8 more than the 2.0T.
That's not to say that 3.8er's won't mod and 2.0Ter's will but I think your points are very valid.

#3 ·
hey bud, I think you honestly answered your own question.

Go with the 3.8 base.

If i were me, which I am, i could care less about the leather, proximity key, climate control etc...

gimme boost! It's been a great excuse to learn more about turbo cars which I have 0 experience with, I always autox/drifted with my 86 rx-7. Ahh I miss her.

Learning about AFR's EGTS etc is really interesting! And how octane levels work! I am looking forward to it!

But like I said, if you are going to be changing all that stuff anyway, i'd get the 3.8 base.

#5 ·
If only those options that were on the 3.8 were available on the 2.0t trim.

I'm more of a boost guy myself. Previous cars included an s13 240sx, and an Audi A4 1.8T, so the 2.0L turbo runs right through me, as it reminds me ALOT of my 240sx. However, after owning my current M3, I enjoy the luxury features that come along with the v6, not so much the engine though...

why can't Hyundai just let us have what we want. LOL. the one thing I like about the BMW is that fact that you can basically create your own car, add any option you want. Not so much with Hyundai.

#7 ·
i have only driven the 3.8

I have full plans on modifying a 2.0L turbo, which is why I would prefer that engine. If it is underpowered from out of the gate, I have no problem with that, because it will not stay like that for long. I have been eager to get back in to a turbo'd 4 cyl. and thought that this car would be the best of all worlds, but now i'm running in to this little problem.

#8 ·
You could probably swap in a lot of the options that you are looking for, turn signal mirrors for example are available from Korea, and black leather seats shouldn't be too tough (Katzkin Leather Interiors or swap with another owner). Auto climate control might be too much work to justify, but I understand that swapping from a keyed ignition to a prox system is possible using factory parts, although I bet it'd be expensive.

Tough dilemma if you want a 2.0, but there are options.

#12 ·
Well look who decided to come back out of the woodwork.

#13 ·
Me personally will be getting the 3.8 Track. And I will tune it. I currently own a 08 Civic coupe LX and to me buying the 2.0T would be almost the same as just putting a turbo charger on my car. But in retrospect, the smaller engine might be easier to tune, but the bigger one will give you bigger gains. To each his own though, I guess if you are going to use it to Autocross, the smaller engine might have a better advantage and you can always turn up the boost for more HP but I'm still sticking with the 3.8.

#18 ·
That gets me concerned, do you think for people with longer legs (waves) that the 2.0gt seat will be as low as the power seat on the v6 can be? I only sat comfortably in the v6 when the seat was lowered all the way down...

Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.