Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

What to replace when installing clutch

16K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  jpweig 
#1 ·
I was wondering what all needs replaced when putting in a new clutch and flywheel.

Throw out bearing? OEM only choice?

Slave cylinder?

Flywheel bolts, do you reuse the originals?

#2 ·
Most kits come with everything you need hardware wise. Of you have like 20k miles it's probably a good idea to have the throw out bearing replaces, and if I remember correct, our throw out bearing and slave cylinder are one part. As far as I know OEM is the only choice and it's about 200 bucks with dealer pricing and usually a order only part so make sure you have a few days to get it.

#3 ·
I and I think CJ got away with reusing the flywheel bolts.. I did not change the T/O bearing.. my clutch came with a new pilot bearing in the flywheel.. over 10k miles on setup with no problems.. Not a bad clutch job at all.. Straight forward No surprises..

#13 ·
Would the throwout bearing/slave cylinder be more damaged if the stock clutch was starting to slip?

I currently have 9300 miles on my GC and my stock clutch is done due to the power of a Stage 2 upgrade (240whp/300twq). I am about the install the new clutch/flywheel combo, but now I am deciding whether I need a new T/o bearing/slave cylinder, or reuse mine..

Any ideas?

#14 ·
My first replacement clutch (piece of **** SPEC) was around 12k miles of dd city driving. The slave was ok. My 2 nd clutch was at like low 20k miles. My mechanic sai the slave fell apart when he took everything out. It's not usually stocked by dealers so your looking at like 2-3 days to get one ordered as an FYI.

#16 ·
weird that I hear about slave cylinders etc falling apart, I disco'd my trans from the engine literally laying on the garage floor (not ideal) and the circlip etc, all are still attached, seem fine etc.

the only thing not fine was the flywheel that had come apart, LoL

#17 ·
sorry to dig up an old thread. I'm about to install a new clutch and found this on rock auto. can someone confirm this is the part im looking for? (link below) I got a good price on a vendor on here but RA is cheaper.

2011 HYUNDAI GENESIS COUPE Clutch Release Bearing[PHPSESSID],1r6ufc2rq0eifr3jv29s9i4ip6,ck[viewcurrency],CAD,ck[ID],0,ck[idlist],0,ck[PHP_SESSION_ID],1r6ufc2rq0eifr3jv29s9i4ip6

#19 · (Edited)
Never heard it called that, but the picture looks correct.

We usually hear it called:
-- TOB: Throw out bearing
-- Master Cylinder

PS: If you come across this post while searching for advice on if you should replace the TOB: -- Always re-place the stock if you have the tranny off... It's worth the $150 just to make sure you will not have to take it apart again that much sooner...

#20 ·
I got a new clutch release bearing ( whatever u want to call em) for when I swap my clutch out this weekend. I'll probably keep the old one in case I have a problem down the road. The ones in our cars seem to be fairly descend and should be good for longer then the life of the clutch. I got mayne from rock auto for like 90 bucks ( 120 cause I live in canada .)
Sipping and boarder fees)

U likly don't have to replace the flywheel bolts but I am for the price of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.