Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

First Wax

974 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  spica 
#1 ·
How long did you wait to give your car it's first wax job? My car is about 3 weeks old and I was thinking about taking advantage of decent weather this weekend.

#4 ·
I Googled first wax and this is Meguiar's statement:

A new car with a factory paint job can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the manufacturing plant. Cars that have factory paint jobs are cured at much higher temperatures, sometimes as high as 300 degrees in special baking ovens. At a factory level, the car goes through the painting and baking process without any of the rubber, plastic, and cloth components installed. This is why they can expose the car and it's fresh paint to such high temperatures. These high temperatures and special paints used at the factory level insures the paint is fully cured by the time the car is completely assembled.

After-market paint finishes however, are cured at a much lower temperature to ensure the method of baking or heating the paint doesn't melt non-metal components such as wiring and vinyl. For this reason, it's best to follow the specific paint manufactures recommendations for care and maintenance of fresh paint. Most paint manufactures that supply paint to the refinish industry recommend that you allow anywhere from 30 to 90 days curing time after the paint is applied before you apply the first application of wax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.