Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Anyone with unavi x5?

8K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  jojocat 
#1 ·
Those of us first adopter of the track models that didn't have LCD navs I been searching for something and doing without that retained all the factory features like the auto climate control and not having a blank monochrome screen still there if I went aftermarket radio route. I'm about to drop 1k on this unavi x5 that sounds amazing. I'm not buying it for the navigation system I'm buying it for the LCD interface that's color and modern looking for the car. Anyone have the new x5 model and have anything to say about it? Before I make this huge purchase decision?

#2 ·
Keep your eyes open, used first generation ENB7500s go for 3-400$. They can be modified to run IGO just fine.

The X1/X2 can NOT be modified to run IGO due to those models using a MIPS processor versus ARM.

In fact, I think there's a used 7500 in the "interior" classified section currently.

Also, I have a few 7500DX (Korean only) 8" models sitting around that I could help you out with, if you prefer to go that way. This was a Korean only model, but all menus/fonts, etc. are in English - only downside is that the trip (radio) screen was written for Korean coupes, so it will NOT show XM radio information. These also run IGO perfectly fine.

If/when you buy it, feel free to PM me for IGO help.

#3 ·
Man owning this car so long. WTF is IGO dreadie lol?

#4 · (Edited)
The GPS/Navigation software. Factory navigation, Unavi 7500/x1/x2 by default use Speednavi, which is a horrible piece of junk.

IGO is by far the best GPS platform out there for Windows CE devices.

Routing is good, maps are updated atleast twice a year, etc.

I'd highly suggest avoiding any SpeedNavi software based GPS like a woman with the STDs

Here's a basic video showing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuFBKiBbOVY

Long story short, Unavi switched the X1/X2 to MIPS processors after the 7500 because they are far cheaper (many companies liquidate them as the market (programs) shifted to ARM based units).

SpeedNavi already had a MIPS program out, so it was an easily solution for Unavi to cut costs and increase profit. They continued to use ARM based units in Korea because ALL the other Unavi-esque products (Imercury, Finedrive, Hyundai DLS, etc.) used ARM processors, and most of the GPS software in Korea also uses ARM.

Unavi felt the errors of their way in North America due to losing substantial market share to Compass-NAV (Imercury branded in North America), which offered IGO, and switched the new model (X5/X6) to a ARM processor.

In fact, the Unavi X5 is just a rebranded Hyundai HDLS Z83 (http://hdls.co.kr/). To give you an idea on the mark up through Unavi, the Z83 in Korea is roughly 400$ USD after conversion. Figure another 80$ for a dash bezel and their (Esense) custom trip module couldn't cost more than 50$, so you are $530. Their average markup is about 100% over their cost. Sure you get a 1 or 3 year warranty, but realistically if the main unit fails, your 100% cost increase has essentially covered the replacement once.

All supporting hardware (trip module, wire harness), etc. between the X1/X2 and X5/X6 are identical, and the trip program itself is the same (including the same bugs...) just recompiled to utilize the different serial port assignment on the unit between models, and recompiled for ARM versus MIPS.

You can dig into it deeper and probably determine that they, in turn, send the core back to HDLS under a vendor warranty, and get their money back - but I suppose their profitability and business practices aren't really relevant to your interest :)

There's another lesser known company here (making a big name in Mexico, slowly into US/CAN) called Navitech - they also use rebranded HDLS units and sell them on Ebay for 799 or 899$ I believe.

Unfortunately, Imercury/CompassNAV don't make a Genesis Coupe specific unit for North America - marketshare is way too low compared to Sonata, Optima, etc.

I've imported a FineDrive unit from Korea for ~500$, with the trip module, etc. Reskinned it to English, loaded up IGO, and live with the "radio display" not showing XM, which my subscription has lapsed anyways.

On a side note, according to my resources, Unavi is effectively dead in Korea due to not keeping up with the evolving marketplace (dual core 1.8ghz winCE platforms, etc).- they are still in NA because, apparently, profit margins are much higher and competing products aren't nearly a "dime a dozen" here like they are in Korea.

#5 ·
Wow thank you for all the info!

#6 ·
So I'm pretty oblivious to all of this - what does my 2013 premium w/ nav run stock? Itsnever been changed or updated or anything... I didn't realize there were different ways to update the unit.

Do or do not. There is no try.

#7 ·
It suck's because I'm not after the navi I'm after color lcd screen for like say iPod and stuff and backup camera but wanting to retain the factory auto temp settings and outside temp. I could be wrong but I swore the track models with no navi you had to do a lot of modding to put the stock pre 2013 navi in...

#11 ·
DO NOT buy one of these! It has awful problems and no one can fix it except the place in the East Bay and they want $175 an hour to even look at it! A total rip off. They've been out to fix it 3 times and now they say it's 'out of warranty'. No way would I buy another one of these lemons.

Joanne Gotelli

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.