Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Improve cabin sound by sound proofing

22K views 81 replies 25 participants last post by  lrk322 
#1 ·
Shark Racing

what do you think?
"DIY Soundproof Kit includes soundproof pads for the hood, left and right doors, trunk hatch, and trunk floor, a total of 5 pieces.

Soundproof pads for the front fender liners are also available as an option. Choose the combination you want from the dropdown menu below.

Handmade, specifically for each application, each pad is made of lightweight PP and PET microfibers, which will absorb sound and vibrations with ease, while adding minimal weight to the car, unlike soundproof mats made with heavy butyl.

The pads can be applied using spray adhesive, and are easy to install because they are made specifically for each application with holes for pins and wiring already precut."

#3 ·
lol i jsust bought 12 square feet of dynomat at $60, coupon. and trust me that doesn't go very far lol.

#4 ·
Yeah I got that about a month ago. Makes a very noticeable difference. Door squeaks and vibrations are gone, they sound more "solid" when slammed too. Exhaust sound is much more muted ,some people will like that and some won't. Couldn't install hood pad because I don't have a hood liner (2.0T) so I added it to the trunk (2 layers now).
This should have been there from the factory IMO. Wish they made a headliner blanket. Easy install ,all holes in right places except for bolt for spare tire holddown (had to make my own hole and doors have a hole for lock cables that should be a slot for easier installation).Don't need to glue anything if you don't want to because interior trim pieces hold everything and completely hide everything. Might need adhesive for front fenders but I didn't get those.

#9 ·
ordered last night, curious to see how heavy it is.

#11 ·
Cool, hope Shark comes through. Did they ask you for extra shipping to canada? When i picked Canada from the drop down, the price didn't change and i just had to pay the $180

#16 ·
I ordered the Shark Racing insulation kit. Excessive wind noise and the lame steering wheel are pretty much my only 2 complaints about my GC. Well those and the crappy Nav...

#18 ·
Update, shipping was pretty fast to canada with just 5 business days. Quality looks good, i didnt get fender liners as they are for the front. I would of got them if they made some for the rears, as i find that to be more of a noisy area. Will install within a week and comment.

#19 ·
I installed dynomat this weekend to rear deck and trunk and there was a improvement. next is each door and rear speakers and fender well

#20 ·
Installed some of shark racing pads yesterday.... had a quick question: Is the trunk liner supposed to just go under the carpet or under the spare tire and trays??? Doesn't seem to be holes cut out for the tray bolts or the spare tire hold down so i assumed it just went under the carpet.

Since i had no idea what to do with the hood pad.. i put it under the spare tire and cut a hole for the hold down bolt... then used the actual trunk liner and put it under the carpet.

****ed up my quick release for the door handle cables on the passenger side door panel so i gotta wait till wednesday to put it together and try it out.

#21 ·
My trunk floor liner went under the spare tire and trays,you have to make your own hole for the spare tire hold down bolt but I didn't have any problems with the trays...sure you don't have it upside down? The hood pad I just put under the carpet in the trunk (on top of the spare tire) there's also one that goes under the liner on the trunk lid ,make sure you're using the right one there.

#28 ·
My '10 3.8 doesn't have a hood liner....... wtf.

#30 ·
So I received mine today and am curious about how you guys attached these things. Did you spray glue them, heat glue gun them, velcro them, just throw them in place?

Pleadse advise. Also, any instructions on how to remove the door panels out there?

Thanks.

#31 ·
For the doors, if you put them inside the doorpanels instead of the door, they just stay in place. Trunk is still a mystery to me, but i just laid it out and made it work.

#34 ·
For those looking at dynamat, copy and pasted from another forum:

Well Ive seen alot of folks cover the interior entirely, and yes that was my orginal intent. However, the day I went to buy that dynamat at the local big city stereo place, coincidentally the Dynmat rep was there. When he overheard what I was going to do he says, "were more than happy to sell you all of our product that you want, but please let me show you my field demo". He had a 35 gal metal drum. Inside was a speaker system with a small subwoofer. He turned it upside down with no DynaMat and turned the system on. Then he installed one small piece of dynamat, about the size of a coke can on the bottom of that drum and the diff was like night and day. He then proceded to cover most of that drum and the sound reduction results were no better than with just the tiny piece. His explanation was such," most people think our product, or similar is for sound proofing, its not. Its designed to reduce sound resonance or vibration". I'm more than happy to sell you all you want, but you would be jsut as well off to strategically place it about the car, then buy a much cheaper felt mat to place between the floor and the outer area, which is what I did. I dont knock anyone for covering the entire interior as, simiarl to what Silver bullet has shown, to each his own.
And that was my plan. Luckily due to an honest salesperson/rep for the very company that makes the stuff, I saved quite a bit of coin for other things and still have a very quiet car.

Here's some pics of what he did....

http://www.teamswift.net/gallery/image_pic.php?album_id=1109&image_id=21178

http://www.teamswift.net/gallery/image_pic.php?album_id=1109&image_id=21179

#35 ·
I'm not thrilled w/ this kit and couldn't recommend it to anyone.

Hopefully once completely installed I'll be impressed by the noise reduction.

Problems are:

1) no instructions at all
2) very poor fitment, might as well cut them out yourself
3) they are white and in the trunk and under the hood. Mine already look grungy. what's going to happen in 3 years?

Anyways, can anyone please give me some hints on how to remove the door panels? I can't even get them started.

#37 ·
That link is a good diy, i watched snoopys video of how to do it. If u look at the bottom, there are slits to insert your pry tool in there, or small fingers. If you just start the corner and get one popped, the rest is easy.

Yeah, your not gonna get any benefit really from just the trunk liner as most of the road noise comes from the rear fenders and doors....I put mine under the spare tire and i can't see the white pads. I noticed a bit of an improvement with just one door panel installed (broke the cable cage on the passenger side by accident so the whole panel is off right now and its noisy on that side.) One of these days i'll get to the rear fenders, sub deck... but it doesn't bother me that much.

#36 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.