Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

PRW Stage 2 Tune + MBC = WIN

7K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  MZ777 
#1 ·
I just got around to installing my MBC after running the tune for a week with some strange inconsistent boost characteristics that I believe have something to do with me adjusting the wastegate when I first got the car stock. My previous full exhaust BR tune had a similar problem that I managed to dial out after adjusting the wastegate a few dozen times but I couldn't get it to work with the PRW tune (adjusted one too many times I guess). The problem boiled down to my boost bouncing around by a few psi under WOT and along with boost barely touching 20psi it would also fall off very sharply. Now that I've got my MBC dialed in for 20psi, I'm getting strong consistent boost and the tune pulls very well. Definitely a worthwhile purchase!

I’m going to drive the car as it is for a while and once my clutch gives out (sooner rather than later I’m guessing although no slippage yet at 15k miles) I’ll go the 19T route.

#2 ·
I'd verify with PWR that your hitting the intended boost. I know with the BR tune for the stock turbo, the boost is intended to fall off pretty quickly because the stock turbo is out of its efficiency. I'd make sure your not holding more boost because of the MBC.

#3 ·
I'll check with him but the mbc will naturally taper boost as well.

#4 ·
Boost does smoothly taper down to about 15 as expected.

#6 ·
I want it...
My mbc exploded last weekend lol. Guts went flying , kind of cool actually was using it to hold boost (with no tune, since i sold the cmd and I'm returning to stock, aparently it went the took the easy way out and committes suicide while I was going up the mountain from work.

#8 ·
Any of the typical ball and spring designs will work just fine. You can go on ebay/Amazon and find them ranging from $10 to $80. I went with the Voodoo design MBC and it holds solid boost with a very broadrange of control without issue. It was about $18 or so on Amazon.

#9 ·
hallman is by far one of the best MBC's you can buy

#10 · (Edited)
They are great MBC's for sure but unless you are getting one with in cabin controls, in practice they are no better than a $20 generic (IMO). I think if you're going to be spending $100+ on an MBC it may be worth considering just going all out for an EBC.

#11 ·
i have a turbosmart MBC on the same tune. it does seem to help hold the boost much better. but i would def recomment a staged MBC due to the stupid "boost explosion" as i call it. great for a race terrible for daily driving

#12 ·
Boost explosion is an accurate description lol. I liked the oem solenoid for it's gradual throttle dependent boost output but it also felt very sloppy and inconsistent. The MBC on the other hand shoots straight to 20 without issue but I've basically lost partial throttle control. It's almost like an on/off switch.

How do the stages setups function? I might look into that.

#16 ·
i may need to buy another CMD again i sold mine cuz it was not working well with the SFR tune but maybe now with PRW tune. idk just seems kinda pointless when i can just have will custom tune my car since he so darn close and crisspeed if i ever get a haltech

#17 ·
Man with all the tunes your getting why don't you just buy Haltech?

#19 ·
With any PA tune, I was getting the same "boost explosion" when running with a fixed BDC. After switching over to BTRcc tune, I can vary the boost anywhere from 0psig up to 14psig smoothly with my foot before having it sharply increasing to 22psi. This has to do with the throttle map and how the ECU is controlling the boost. PA tunes use a very inconsistent throttle map and relies on the EBC to vary the boost. BTRcc, TXS tunes rely on the throttle position and possibly bleeding off the bypass valve from what I can hear.

#21 ·
I should patent my boost explosion term!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#22 ·
Boost explosion ©2012 - 2012coupe

:D

#23 ·
Yay

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#25 ·
its like an egg! question for you… I'm rocking the prw 2 and a voodoo mbc as of today as well..

i know this was a setup you were running a while ago but do you remember how far you have the MBC screwed in? mine is getting somewhat close to being all the way in (maybe 5 full rotations left?) and I'm peaking at 19..

if i was leaking somewhere would the mbc still work to 19? I'm worried if i screw it any farther my engine will just explode haha. any insight will help, thanks

#27 ·
You can leave it right where its at, plugged in and all!

#31 ·
Scratch what I said above... I now want to go with MBC... I sent a message to PRW and here's what William replied back to me:

As far as the MBC, i do not suggest anyone use them unless they really understand what they are doing and have a AFR gauge and boost gauge, as you can blow your engine up if you don't know what you are doing, if you have a MBC hooked up you still need to keep the electrical connection hooked up so the ECU doesn't throw and codes.
... and all I asked is to how many PSI should I set one. I still don't know which to get; trying to decide the one from grimmspeed or TurboXS.

#34 ·
Scratch what I said above... I now want to go with MBC... I sent a message to PRW and here's what William replied back to me:

... and all I asked is to how many PSI should I set one. I still don't know which to get; trying to decide the one from grimmspeed or TurboXS.
I wouldn't run over 20psi peak as the boost will taper off quickly anyway and you're just going to generate a ton of hot air along with a split second increase in low end torque for no reason.

#32 ·
Forgot to mention - one thing that keeps me from being stage 2 is an FMIC which I plan on getting soon. I have my DW550 injectors (not installed) and William@PRW said that I can only use Siemens, Bosch or factory evo x injectors....... Is there any difference between the 3 listed? Do they provide direct fitment?

#33 ·
I've run DW's, Bosch and EVO X and while the fitment is fine with all of them they don't all flow identically even though they are rated at 550cc. I believe the EVO X's are closer to Bosch than DW but keep in mind that you can't just swap in any set of 550's and expect the car to run right. Use the injectors that are intended for your tune.

#39 ·
And here I am with another question. I want to completely bypass the oem ebcs bs... How do you guys have yours set up? I unplugged everything (both connectors and hoses), plugged the MBC in and could not go above 3.5 - 4 psi... Then CEL came on with these codes:

What am I doing wrong? I don't have a tune right now at all. I was just trying to set it to stock 12 psi and then dial in more when the tune comes in. I have GS MBC BTW.

#41 ·
Based on the picture you put up I believe your MBC is hooked up properly. You will want to keep the EBCS electrical connector plugged in to avoid throwing codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.