Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Interesting sound following exhaust install

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  ShyGuy 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just installed the Phantom Garage cat back exhaust yesterday and noticed that I'm getting a strange sound under full throttle/boost. The car sounds great/normal at idle and while cruising but produces a very distinct noise as soon as my 20G turbo hits full boost. The best way to describe it is that sound you get when you rub a wet finger on the rim of a glass to produce that high frequency ring except much louder and at a higher frequency as if you were running your finger over the glass at a high rate of speed. Before the exhaust install I was running the factory exhaust with both cat deletes which did not produce this sound (did have a nice tone though!). Before that I still had my 19T turbo and ran both cat deletes along with a muffler delete (similar to straight pipes but utilizing the factory piping) and while it was loud it still didn't produce any similar ringing noise. The noise seems to be dependent on boost rather than RPM as I can be cruising @ 4k or 5k without issue but as soon as I get 21psi at any rev, there she goes.

#2 ·
could be an exhaust leak either between the DP/TP and midpipe or midpipe to muffler. check your gaskets

#3 ·
This particular exhaust actually replaces the test pipe / secondary cat altogether so the leak would either be between the mid pipe / muffler or between the mid pipe / down pipe. I'll get it checked out when I get a chance.

#5 ·
My intake has a distinct noise as well. This is something specific to the new exhaust.

#6 ·
Had a similar noise after intake + tbe. Nothing bad ever happened. Prob the flux cap charging up

#8 ·
The closer the exhaust leak to the exhaust source, the louder it will be, and the more lawn-mowerish it will be. From my experience, it sounds like a leak further down the system. Like previously mentioned, check your gaskets. If one of them isnt seated properly, it could leave just enough room to make more of a whistling sound, which I suppose could be mistaken for a ringing sound if it resonating off the metal off the exhaust.

Also, try to isolate where it is coming from, roll the windows down and listen, or have a friend drive next to you and listen, or hang out the window lol. You only other option would be to spray a soapy water mixture around each of the joints in the system while revving the engine in neutral to look for bubbling. Make sure to do this when the engine is cold and try to work fast, so the heat of the exhaust doesnt evaporate the water before you get a chance to see it bubble.

#9 ·
I think I have a solution. I bought this same crap back and got the exact noise you're talking about. I took it to the muffler shop, they checked for leaks and everything checked out to be ok and he told me thats just how the muffler sounds.. I swapped the muffler box for a magnaflow and the noise is still howling away under full boost. So, I believe its the resonator area where the two separate pieces of the midpipe meet. Under full boost when you have a lot of gasses travelling through that section, it whistles through there, because the way the pipes sits in the resonator. I will have a definite answer today as I am welding a straight pipe to delete the use of a band clamp and the resonator. There is nothing else it could be after this. I have a good feeling this will solve this problem.

#10 ·
I'm going to have to check how my car sounds now because I don't even recall hearing this noise anymore but I may have just gotten used to it.

#14 ·
It never particularly bothered me even when I noticed it, I was just curious as to the cause. I'll check on the drive home tonight.

#16 ·
Mine is one piece. I noticed the difference when I received it compared to pictures I saw online.

#18 ·
Yeah, may be something different or the same thing from a different source. BTW, how did swapping the muffler go? Did you get a bolt on axle back or was some cutting/welding involved?

#20 ·
Which specific muffler did you use (if you have a model number)?

#24 ·
I am having the same issue at the moment on my 2011 2.OT. Were you able to find out what is causing the noise? Definitely sounds like someone rubbing the rim of a wine glass with a wet finger when you accelerate hard. For the life of me, I cannot tell whether the sound is resonating from the exhaust or the intake. It is making my ears bleed. The only mods that I have are an Ark grip exhaust and an AEM CAI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.