Warming up the car\cooling down before shutting off? - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums

GenCoupe.com is the premier Hyundai Genesis Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #1

Default Warming up the car\cooling down before shutting off?

I know a turbo timer let's the car idle for a bit before shutting it down to cool down the turbo but since I don't have one yet I was wondering does anybody else cool down there car for a couple minutes before shutting it off after a hard drive?

It's cold in New England so I tend to warm my car up too before I take off... most of the time I drive fairly hard on my car. Sometimes I warm it up all the way and sometimes just a few minutes to get the bar a couple lines up if I'm in a rush. Is this really necessary? Or am I just wasting gas on a brand new car... what do you guys do?
HKS Plugs\Oil n Radiator Cap\Grounding
HID bulbs low beam Blue 8000k\Fogs Yellow 3500k
M&S Carart Type-D Front Grill White
Tints 35% Front 20% Rear
Eagles Badge Trunk\Wheel Caps
DD Stage 3 LED kit - Blue

Coming Mods:
Blue footwell\under glow
Agency 3" Front pipe
UR 3" Down pipe n High-Flow Cat
HKS Legamax c\b exhaust
SuperLux LED Tail lights
Black Bezel Colorless Head lights
PowerAxel ECU Reflash\Navi
JayKyung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 04:47 AM   #2

Drive hard as you like, but in that last mile or two take it easy, that's ample time to cool down. As for warming up that's a must on any car, optimal operating temp for our cars is about 180degrees. If you are in hurry just take it easy, keep the rpms low. you'll be fine
Bobaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 05:02 AM   #3

i always allow my car atleast 5-10mins to warm up in the mornings on cold/cool nights and 3-5mins in the summer.

and after driving hard i take it easy about 2miles out from where i am going then sit in car for about 2-3 mins and let cool down until i get a T.T.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:02 AM   #4

Turbo timers are a waste of $$ now. They had a use 15-20 years ago. Oil has gotten much better since then. Unless you've just come off the track or been boosting for awhile right before you park the car no need to let it cool down. Especially if you are running a good synthetic. 99% of the time you will be driving slowly for a few miles before you stop.
banzairx7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
Silver Cert Hyundai TECH

run mobil one and you will not haveto worry about it.

and now blogger! Check out the "All things Hyundai" blog.

PHP Code:
http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/ 
only1db is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
特味! 특미 special flavah!

I did that for about first 2 month then i stopped..........
Old 03-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
I'd rather do it myself

The turbo is also water cooled. When the engine is shut off the coolant will circulate through thermo-siphoning.

Quote:
(R=D)<TPTB
Red Raspberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 07:21 AM   #8
Miss Thread Derailer

I can't say I've let my car idle to "cool off" before shutting her off.

If I'm driving her hard, like mentioned above, I will drive the last mile or so more civilized and let her cool down that way.

But if I've just gotten off the highway cruising at 110km/h and I pull into work, I'll shut her off, the turbo isn't working really enough to get super hot. So it wont hurt the car to shut it off right away.
A llama Lauren? really? spitters are quitters
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
me so KDM

As far as letting it warm up you should always give it some time to warm up before you go all out but believe it or not Hyundai thought about that and the car will only hit 6psi until normal op temp so you don't blow it up? However that tech is not new my 1990 300zxtt would do the same and keep it in" safety boost"
chrismoorerocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #10

haha ya I hate the lack of boost when cold - I often will let my car warm up on a cold day just because of this reason - I live about 1/2 mi. from a highway so unless I let it warm up a bit, the on-ramp can be a bit of challenge...
PimpnPaul99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
My other ride has 4000hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpnPaul99 View Post
haha ya I hate the lack of boost when cold - I often will let my car warm up on a cold day just because of this reason - I live about 1/2 mi. from a highway so unless I let it warm up a bit, the on-ramp can be a bit of challenge...
you would still want to warm up your car.... The boost limit is there for a reason. If it wasnt' there, you oil wouldn't be hot enough, and you might risk low oil pressure and spinning a bearing if you went into high enough boost.

So to the OP, no you don't need really need to warm up or cool down THIS car stock, but only because there are many safties built in.
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 01:06 AM   #12

You would more likely have oil starvation in the valve assembly before you get oils starvation in the bottom end. And very rare.

More likely scenario is that over time, you will develop excessive blow-by because of ring ware.
When cold the clearances between parts are looser. Looser means gaps; gaps means parts hitting on each other; part hitting on each other, means more gaps/space.
AKGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 02:51 AM   #13
Genesis Owner

I actually just let it warm up a lil if it's been a while I haven't used it like overnight or after 8hrs of work. But I think this car is new enough to cool down itself and keep the turbo safe I'm guessing
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #14
Joe-Shmoe

Fact: 2 minutes cool down period while driving is much better then a 2 minutes stationary cool down with no air circulation at all and is also a lot less pointless.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #15

I don't worry too much about it.

-U.S. Premium
-32% tint
-cp-e αIntake
FortyOzSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #16
My other ride has 4000hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
You would more likely have oil starvation in the valve assembly before you get oils starvation in the bottom end. And very rare.

More likely scenario is that over time, you will develop excessive blow-by because of ring ware.
When cold the clearances between parts are looser. Looser means gaps; gaps means parts hitting on each other; part hitting on each other, means more gaps/space.
ah, I didn't know the top would starve before the bottom. What bad things happen when the top is oil startved? The cams wear/cut into the camshaft?

Honestly I havn'e studied the oil sytem very deeply yet, I have read heard frequently about rold bearings, but other than that I don't relaly know what gets oil. lol kind of sad.
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #17
Banned

even if watercooled that turbo can be quite hot .. i noticed that after 2-3 0-100 runs the turbo becomes red hot .. it's nice to see at night :P
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #18
I'd rather do it myself

When the car is shut off the natural thermo convection will pull cooler coolant up through the turbo without any need for mechanical pumping.

Now if you go out and get the turbo red hot then immediately shut off the engine you deserve what you get. But to say you normally should let the car idle for two minutes or so is old school and no longer needed for normal or moderately spirited driving due to inclusion of water cooling along with the oil.

Quote:
(R=D)<TPTB
Red Raspberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #19
Banned

i agree with you .. but still .. waiting 30 seconds or so isn't that much if it can help your turbo last longer
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.