Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Want to get 300 whp out of my G4KF motor

17K views 100 replies 21 participants last post by  Sahil Sharma 
#1 ·
Hi i just repurchased a 2011 genesis coupe with 47.000 miles on it its the 2.0t just regular 6 speed no sunroof just the basic model, now i want to build it up so i can put from 280 to 300 whp , and i want some advice i have seen some interesting stuff to upgrade on eBay that's not to expensive like a gt35 top mounted turbo kit , aluminum radiator things like that , i don't want to get in to taking the motor apart , so any advice on how to do this and what i need i think 280 to 300 whp is not going over board and the motor can handle it with some mods right ?:grin:

#56 ·
^^
Absolutely they will! No questions asked!

#62 ·
well its not sent in stone ,i am still looking for alternatives i like the garret gt35 but its expensive , but ill let you know how it goes i am starting small and building up ... radiator , inter cooler , and exhaust:grin: are my first things to do this next 2 months ...:grin:

#63 ·
Builds cost a pretty penny, but you don't always have to buy new. There are a lot of good deals on the forums from members who are well known. An o2 housing from a reputable manufacturer is still an o2 housing. Why buy one for $200 when someone is selling one for $100 shipped?

You just need to be smart about where your money is going and use some common sense while you're at it. If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Like Tim@Beyond Redline and itslikeanegg have said, a 19T OEM upgraded turbo can be a good alternative. Ecarca ran one in his car and it was pimp as fvck.

Take GenCoupeGeek's advice and make sure that you have every single aspect of your build planned out. The tune is arguably the most important part since that is what will bring all your upgrades together.

#65 ·
yes i do like the idea of the OEM upgrade , but what do you think ill need to get the extra juice out of the turbo i imagine i got to change my exhaust, intake , the ECU , and a better inter cooler but what else do you think i need to keep in mind, oo and a BOV .. :|

#67 ·
Uh... the wastegate is an integral part of the turbo. Change the turbo.. the wastegate gets changed with it.

#68 ·
Well the stock actuator is weak so you might get boost creep. I think the stock one is a 7-8 psi one and the one I replaced it with is 1bar so about 14.7 psi. When you order the turbo from beyond redline there's an option you can chose for the better actuator. The 19T upgrade has a larger compressor wheel and the exhaust side on mine has a 10* clip.

#72 ·
Could be a 2013?

#74 ·
Not even on a 2013. Off the floor a 2013 GDI 3.8 is hitting somewhere between 275 and 285 at the wheels.

And no... we don't lock threads simply because the OP has gotten his answer or not. The point of a discussion board is for open discussion. While I appreciate input from folks, occasionally you get the troll who will jump into a discussion thread to throw in the conversation off topic. In this particular case I am using his weak troll attempt to point out that in fact purchasing a 3.8 doesn't "solve" the problem of hitting the 300 whp mark that the OP wants to hit.

Trolling attempt becomes teaching point.

#76 ·
A 3.8 GDI could be tuned for more than 300 whp... the ultimate cost of doing so would be slightly more than what it would cost to tune a 2013 2.0T since the exhaust for a 3.8 would cost more.

What hasn't been true until just recently is that you couldn't add a turbokit to a 3.8 GDI... of course Turbokits.com now offers a turbokit for the 3.8 GDI and V6 owners can expect to push about 400 whp @ 6 psi without a lot of drama.

Where things get expensive on both sides is when you have to build an engine for more boost and more torque. This is where the 3.8 and the 2.0T separate in terms of build costs. Doing a big build on a 3.8 is going to run up to $20K and beyond... you can get some pretty big numbers on the 2.0T for half that cost.

If you are looking for the most bang for your buck, it's hard to beat a 2.0T... if you are looking for more driveability in your high HP car, the 3.8 is a much smoother platform. It really all comes down to how much you want to spend and what you expect from the end product. While you can build an 800 whp 2.0T (as BTR is doing as we speak)... you may not want to try to take that car out on the street since the power on high power small engines tends to be more of an on/off switch rather than a gradual build.

#78 ·
Dude... why? Why do you keep insisting on finding Chinese eBay parts and then asking about the quality when you already know the answer?

Car parts... you get what you pay for. If it's cheap... then guess what you get?

#84 ·
Now I want to build a CX racing racecar..... just to see if it even completes a pass.

#90 ·
Awesome

#91 ·
This Thread is still alive?

#99 ·
lol good luck... and just wondering... who is going to tune your car after this huge upgrade?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.