Twin turbo? - Page 2 - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums

GenCoupe.com is the premier Hyundai Genesis Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 05:39 AM   #21

Twin turbo's are so old school.

Get with the times, twin SCROLL or bust. Nobody will be using twin turbo's in their cars anymore...
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 06:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyH View Post

Get with the times, twin SCROLL or bust. Nobody will be using twin turbo's in their cars anymore...
I was just about to say that maybe he meant twin scroll like the Sonata. My friend just twin turboed his G35... netted him about 110 hp and cost him like 7k.

One big, or twin scroll will probably be better for the 2.0 IMO
mshale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #23
I haz no GC no mo :(

Quote:

Twin turbos will be still be useful on bigger motors. No matter if it's twin scroll, variable vane, or any other tech, a twin turbo will have much more potential for big power than a twin scroll on a big engine. Twin scroll only helps with reducing lag which isn't the point of twin turbo. Twin scroll helps with little engines wanting a big turbo but doesn't increase top end power output of that turbo. The two really arent even comparable IMO.
  • Contact information (Phone number OR email preferred - not just Private Messaging)
  • Asking price
  • Location (State if local pickup or if you will ship)
  • Actual Photos of the item
Any of these missing means your thread will not be approved.
CrookedH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #24

maybe he means a compound turbo... yes technically it is a twin turbo setup. To the op people use those for drag cars so that they can actually get the bigger turbo to spool up. However for roughly 400WHP it is a waste of time. Compound turbo are used to push the big numbers like 700whp with power up top and enough for street use.

People on here need to learn to stop looking at the estimated hp on turbos. Usually when those are advertised that it is the maximum power you can get out of the turbo. Which includes race gas, meth injections, cams, and the largest displacement the turbo can handle.

A Garrett Gt2871R advertises 400WHP however, unless your using a 2.4L on race gas you will only see about 350-370whp on a 2.0. Which is why so many vendors on here use Gt3071R or 3076R for set up with a potential of 400WHP. I suggest people on here learn how to read flow maps to find out what turbo you want for the powerband and power you want.
theironmonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by theironmonk View Post
maybe he means a compound turbo... yes technically it is a twin turbo setup. ...
Compound setup is NOT technically a twin setup. A twin turbo setup is just that, twin turbos. Not one bigger and one smaller, not two similar, but TWIN.
  • Contact information (Phone number OR email preferred - not just Private Messaging)
  • Asking price
Old 11-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedH View Post
Compound setup is NOT technically a twin setup. A twin turbo setup is just that, twin turbos. Not one bigger and one smaller, not two similar, but TWIN.
Proof that twins are not always the same size.

Edit: doh! Bad link...joke fail.

"Chivalry died when we gave them shoes and the right to vote."
-Andrew Motta

2.0T: K&N "intake", Injen Cat-Back Exhaust
Soon to Come: PA Reflash
Hopefully this Year: 550cc injectors, 19T, and upgraded FMIC
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Proof that twins are not always the same size.

Edit: doh! Bad link...joke fail.

Cant agrue with that, I stand corrected
  • Asking price
Old 11-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #28
Banned

never looked at the results on a gen coupe but on a srt4 a 2871R spools slower and makes less power than a 3071R .. seems weird at first but it has been proven many times ..
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #29
My other ride has 4000hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshale View Post
I was just about to say that maybe he meant twin scroll like the Sonata. My friend just twin turboed his G35... netted him about 110 hp and cost him like 7k.

One big, or twin scroll will probably be better for the 2.0 IMO
My friend also twin turbos (2 identical) his g35. He started with gt2871's and ran about 500whp, but upgraded to twin 3076's and now gets about 700whp. I been ridden in both and the first set up IMO was more fun, seems to be laggless, but the new setup, though it is stupid fast, you can feel the lag more. Though I think it is unwise on a 4cyl I think it works for a v6 or greater.
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Twin turbos will be still be useful on bigger motors. No matter if it's twin scroll, variable vane, or any other tech, a twin turbo will have much more potential for big power than a twin scroll on a big engine. Twin scroll only helps with reducing lag which isn't the point of twin turbo. Twin scroll helps with little engines wanting a big turbo but doesn't increase top end power output of that turbo. The two really arent even comparable IMO.
Meh, I would just get a bigger twin scroll...just size to push the same CFM's. If done right you don't sacrifice top end or low end torque...unless you go sequential...in which case yes you could probably get a nice power band.

On an inline engine (4 anyway), it is simply easier to use a twin scroll, V6 / flat 6 / V8 using two turbos is maybe where it starts making sense.

Needs a bit of a clean-up of the power band around the 4k mark, but you can see how much win a Porsche 911 gets with the twin scroll over the GT-R.
http://images.thecarconnection.com/m...00224907_m.jpg

Realistically, if Porsche used a single larger twin scroll, the torque would have come down and likely match nicer to the GT-R's twin set-up
Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #31

Quote:
Meh, I would just get a bigger twin scroll...just size to push the same CFM's. If done right you don't sacrifice top end or low end torque...unless you go sequential...in which case yes you could probably get a nice power band.

On an inline engine (4 anyway), it is simply easier to use a twin scroll, V6 / flat 6 / V8 using two turbos is maybe where it starts making sense.

Needs a bit of a clean-up of the power band around the 4k mark, but you can see how much win a Porsche 911 gets with the twin scroll over the GT-R.
http://images.thecarconnection.com/m...00224907_m.jpg

Realistically, if Porsche used a single larger twin scroll, the torque would have come down and likely match nicer to the GT-R's twin set-up
Dont get me wrong, I'm all for twin scroll or any other tech to get better response from the turbo. I'm sure twin, twin scrolls would win over twin "single scroll" turbos any day. I just think they're not really comparable as "should I go twin scroll or twin turbo?"...
  • Asking price
Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #32

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, I'm all for twin scroll or any other tech to get better response from the turbo. I'm sure twin, twin scrolls would win over twin "single scroll" turbos any day. I just think they're not really comparable as "should I go twin scroll or twin turbo?"...
Excellent example :
Dyno Test: BMW 335i and 335is – N54 vs. N55 engine

BMW was able to out perform their twin turbo set-up using a single twin scroll. If you know how to size a twin scroll, you will outperform a less efficient twin set-up.

Keep in mind the N54 'is' isn't a fair comparison as it is 'tuned' to bump boost.

Last edited by RudyH; 11-15-2010 at 09:32 AM.
RudyH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #33
Banned

Quartermaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #34

Quote:
Excellent example :
Dyno Test: BMW 335i and 335is N54 vs. N55 engine

BMW was able to out perform their twin turbo set-up using a single twin scroll. If you know how to size a twin scroll, you will outperform a less efficient twin set-up.

Keep in mind the N54 'is' isn't a fair comparison as it is 'tuned' to bump boost.
Interesting. I'll have to read through that article.
  • Asking price
Old 11-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Interesting. I'll have to read through that article.
Keeping in mind though, inline thinking about it more would be MUCH EASIER with a twin scroll, BUT, I think a flat or V would be easier to set-up a twin turbo
Old 11-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #36

Quote:
Excellent example :
Dyno Test: BMW 335i and 335is – N54 vs. N55 engine

Why is it that people with a single turbo want to go to twin turbo and those with twin turbo want to go to big single? There are a lot of people wanting to convert to a single turbo setup over on the 335i boards. I'm one of those included. Stock twin snails reach their limit quickly and a single larger turbo can supply so much more air than the twins can at the same PSI. Unfortunately the N55(granted twin scroll) isn't as tuner friendly as the N54, but in time I think it will become a worthy tuning platform. I'd imagine that having a single turbo would be a better solution for the 2.0 as twins are putting too much on two cylinders to spool the turbo.

2001 Trans Am WS6 | Mods = Stock For Now

G37S 6MT | Sold and Missed | Mods = Borla Cat Back Exhaust, Berk HFC's, Stillen Gen 3 CAI, Cobb AccessPort Custom Tune
willizm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #37

Its about (part of it) the:

Volume of exhaust that the engine can put out
vs.
How much the turbo(s) will bottle neck the exhaust.

Slapping a single turbo (no special features) on a large displacement motor will just limit your potential.

A TT setup on an engine smaller than 3L, will just cause so much turbo lag, or cause the smaller turbo (sequential turbo setup) to just bottle neck the exhaust of 2 of the cylinders.

This is why guys with TT supras switch over to a larger turbo setup with some sort of tech to spool quicker (twin scroll, VGT, or what ever).
AKGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 06:50 AM   #38
old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
Its about (part of it) the:

Volume of exhaust that the engine can put out
vs.
How much the turbo(s) will bottle neck the exhaust.

Slapping a single turbo (no special features) on a large displacement motor will just limit your potential.

A TT setup on an engine smaller than 3L, will just cause so much turbo lag, or cause the smaller turbo (sequential turbo setup) to just bottle neck the exhaust of 2 of the cylinders.

This is why guys with TT supras switch over to a larger turbo setup with some sort of tech to spool quicker (twin scroll, VGT, or what ever).

Subaru had a twin turbo 2 liter motor for a while in their domestic market. I bought a few of them, but don't remember what the plumbing was like, but one turbo was smaller than the other one.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #39

tiny turbos in a sequential setup.

The larger turbo is a TD04
AKGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #40
Herpes Free!

Lol at you guys still discussing this. He hasn't been back since he posted.

www.facebook.com/groups/gulfcoastautowerks

www.chapter11bk.com
turbo98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.