post #1 of 23 Old 01-10-2017, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question What is the next step

Hello all,

After getting a 2010 used and taking it to the dealer for a oil change, I now have a list of things that need to be done to my new baby. Being on a budget and all, i wanted to ask you all which step should/need to take next for this soon to be beast. Right now I am waiting on my cheap SRI to come in to install. Below is the list of the things the dealer says needs to be done with the quoted price. Let me know what needs to be done ASAP, what can wait, and how much cheaper i could possibly get it done (I live in GA near ATL).

Dealer Suggestion
  • Throttle body induction $179.95
  • Trans Flush. $229.95
  • Coolent Flush. $139.95
  • Brake Flush $129.95
  • Rear Diff service $119.95

Also I have never done much under the hood but I am not afraid to attempt to DIY as well (If simple enough... Doing the SRI )

Thank you all in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-10-2017, 07:17 AM
Senior Memeber

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage

Honestly you're first step would be to give it a good service. After that the order I took in upgrades where as follows: sri from injen(kinda wanna buy the typhoon to try that out too)-->blow off valve from forge(I'm sure hks is better but too late)-->full turbo back exhaust(I recommend the cpe catback if you're looking for amazing sound or the ark)--> then a stage 2 btr tune. I really wanted to do rims in there but never got around to it, I'd probably put that right after the exhaust
post #3 of 23 Old 01-10-2017, 07:17 AM
Senior Memeber

Garage

Also I did all the work myself and nothing was too difficult
post #4 of 23 Old 01-10-2017, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

i am near ATL too

i think ECU is one of the better whp/$ mods u can do to this car right now, especially if you are close to stock.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-10-2017, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Every service they listed is overpriced. How many miles are on the car?

TB cleaning is useless, you car isn't ridiculously old, or GDI. Our cars are drive by wire setups, and you could possibly do more harm than good.

Brake flush, and Trans drain and fill is about the only ones that make sense for them to do. Still over priced however.

Diff drain and fill, and coolant flush is totally doable, and if you can't do it yourself; unless you have a physical disability, you deserve to have your money taken. The information is everywhere, if you don't know how, its incredibly easy to learn how. lol

All this info is coming from my exp. as a asst manager at a lube shop. I've sold people these same services.

*edit: Also, have them be specific, trans flushes destroy transmissons. If it's not a drain and fill, don't let them touch it.

Also for 2.0Ts ECU mods is best bang for the buck, from stock. Don't bother with intakes. Exhaust, ECU, PnP intake manifold and Intake manifold phenolic spacer, and your golden.

Last edited by Kleanup; 01-10-2017 at 07:33 AM.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-11-2017, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

thank you for the input and sorry for the delay
Miles:73765

im def willing to do things myself and best friend father is a mechanic as well.
@johnzm where are you located... you can DM if you want lol
post #7 of 23 Old 01-13-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

well should be getting my SRI today or tomorrow... is there any prepping that i should do before it arrives to make the job easier? @johnzm I got your message and am not ignoring you... just dont have enough post to respond yet (not gonna do unnecessary post), but I'm right off six flags.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-13-2017, 06:59 AM
Senior Memeber

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippystick View Post
well should be getting my SRI today or tomorrow... is there any prepping that i should do before it arrives to make the job easier? @johnzm I got your message and am not ignoring you... just dont have enough post to respond yet (not gonna do unnecessary post), but I'm right off six flags.
Is honestly one of the easiest installs you'll be doing performance wise. There are plenty of tutorials all over this forum as well as YouTube, but essentially it's just taking out screws and undoing clamps . What sri did you get?
post #9 of 23 Old 01-13-2017, 08:00 AM
Korean Asswhoopin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleanup View Post
Every service they listed is overpriced. How many miles are on the car?

TB cleaning is useless, you car isn't ridiculously old, or GDI. Our cars are drive by wire setups, and you could possibly do more harm than good.

Brake flush, and Trans drain and fill is about the only ones that make sense for them to do. Still over priced however.

Diff drain and fill, and coolant flush is totally doable, and if you can't do it yourself; unless you have a physical disability, you deserve to have your money taken. The information is everywhere, if you don't know how, its incredibly easy to learn how. lol

All this info is coming from my exp. as a asst manager at a lube shop. I've sold people these same services.

*edit: Also, have them be specific, trans flushes destroy transmissons. If it's not a drain and fill, don't let them touch it.

Also for 2.0Ts ECU mods is best bang for the buck, from stock. Don't bother with intakes. Exhaust, ECU, PnP intake manifold and Intake manifold phenolic spacer, and your golden.
Cleaning the intake valves and e-throttle body isn't useless on an MPI car. They still get dirty. You would be surprised how dirty the throttle plate gets in 30,000 miles. Always worth it do not downplay it. Also.... it's EASY TO DO, just unplug the throttle body and feel free to move plate wherever you need to. Seafoam could be poured into any vacuum hose on the intake manifold, then watch the smoke billow when you fire it up. Throttle calibration is done by keying on for 10 seconds then off.

Trans flushes can damage transmissions if it is done with damaging cleaning agents and post flush additives, this applies to automatics only. I know this from watching many hyundai transmissions begin to slip after flushes from my old shop..

As for the prices, I could care less if people think it's overpriced. If you can't do them yourself. DON'T. Your paying an experienced person to handle it for you, tough to put a price on that. Although good techs are hard to find, I consider myself decent but I work on German cars so it's a pain in the butt and not always my fault lol

2010 Grey Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track - Beyond Redline - Haltech and BW EFR 7063 - 385 whp and 345 wtq - Crappy gas

2016 VW Tiguan S Daily
post #10 of 23 Old 01-13-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

@Thumb5 thank you for that response and I feel your pain with the German thing (use to own a VW Passat), what would be the first thing on that list from the dealer that you/ or any of you would try to take care of first?
@Synifrix I dont know what kind it is, was a cheaper one that I got on ebay. Ill fill you in on the info when it gets here
post #11 of 23 Old 01-14-2017, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Ok I think I have the last question reformatted for the answer I think I'm looking for lol:

Well Fed** screwed me in getting my SRI early yesterday so I'm stuck waiting... with common house hold items what can I do to this beast to prepare or do while xyz is getting done while I wait for the SRI to come in today and install
post #12 of 23 Old 01-14-2017, 05:35 AM
Korean Asswhoopin

I would start with the brake flush and the induction service. Coolant, trans and diff you could probably put off until you hit 100,000. All those are services are due by time only, your other items should be fine until 100k

2010 Grey Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track - Beyond Redline - Haltech and BW EFR 7063 - 385 whp and 345 wtq - Crappy gas

2016 VW Tiguan S Daily
post #13 of 23 Old 01-14-2017, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

thank you for that information... Ill look to having them flushed but if you don't mind me asking what is the induction service?

Also while I wait for Fed** was wondering what is the best pipe I can run and get today to do a silencer delete

no worries about the delete pipe... from what ive been reading there is no real difference in the AT but even with that said I think Ill order one instead to insure fit and rust etc. still curious to feed back though lol

Last edited by trippystick; 01-14-2017 at 08:34 AM.
post #14 of 23 Old 01-14-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

UPDATE: so the SRI finally came in and im starting the install when i look down the pipe it looks like mine has already been deleted lol... ill post pics later on for you all to confirm or not.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-14-2017, 12:33 PM
Advenio Pariter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Garage

For the transmission have them do a drain and fill. It will take about 5 quarts of fluid and should be about half that price. The coolant you can do a drain and fill also and that is a really easy DIY. A flush will not hurt, though. Search this forum. The rear differential is easy, but kind of a hassle. If you want this done by a mechanic, consider this.

The coolant flush and rear differential can be done by any competent shop. You will save a few bucks for the same service and you begin to develop a relationship with an independent shop. That is important. The dealer can do a drain and fill on the tranny which will cost less. I agree with the comments on the flushes. I do my own drain and fills and I do them at a more aggressive interval than the manufacturers and my transmissions last as long as I own my cars. This is usually well over 100k miles. If your engine is running well the TB cleaning may not be necessary, but again check with an independent shop too. That is also a common procedure.

I like dealers, but I tend to use them for services that I think they may be the most competent performing. Common stuff I usually do myself.

2011 Base 2.0T, 5AT
Trunk Lip Spoiler
Fog Lights
Rear Wing Badge / Blackened Front Logo
Garage Line 22mm Rear Sway Bar
Uniq Rigid Collars
Saikou Michi Catch Can - Intake
JEGS Oil Separator - Turbo
Dynamat Hoodliner
Infinity Kappa 62.11 Door and Rear Speakers
Warranty: New Tails
Non-maintenance expenses: $39.00

2013 Elantra GT, 6AT (hers)

-- previous rides --
Salsa Red 2004 Vibe GT 6MT
Dark Red Pearl 1991 Stealth R/T 5MT
post #16 of 23 Old 01-17-2017, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Now i know i bought this car used and noticed that someone already did the little plug flip on the OEM air filter, but is it me or does it also look as if the intake delete was done as well lol.

Also sorry for the delay and here are a few more pics of the work ive been doing to the Death Star

stock air box removed

eBay SRI and custom homemade heat shield

!!!The Death Star is COMING!!!

Last edited by trippystick; 01-17-2017 at 06:45 AM.
post #17 of 23 Old 01-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Advenio Pariter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Garage

No, the silencer is still in there. Leave it. You will not see any gains without it. Interesting heat shield for the air filter.

2011 Base 2.0T, 5AT
Trunk Lip Spoiler
Fog Lights
Rear Wing Badge / Blackened Front Logo
Garage Line 22mm Rear Sway Bar
Uniq Rigid Collars
Saikou Michi Catch Can - Intake
JEGS Oil Separator - Turbo
Dynamat Hoodliner
Infinity Kappa 62.11 Door and Rear Speakers
Warranty: New Tails
Non-maintenance expenses: $39.00

2013 Elantra GT, 6AT (hers)

-- previous rides --
Salsa Red 2004 Vibe GT 6MT
Dark Red Pearl 1991 Stealth R/T 5MT
post #18 of 23 Old 01-19-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

lol yes the heat shield is a kickball sign for now lol

I understand that I would see no gains without the silencer but would I not become louder without having to do the muffler system. Could this not possibly get me the sound that I'm looking for without having to spend a lot? until I do get the funds to do so.

!!!The Death Star is COMING!!!
post #19 of 23 Old 01-24-2017, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)

WHat the hell is "throttle body induction"?
If just a cleaning, it's not worth that price.

If it's an automatic transmission, flushing the fluid is just going to screw it up.... unless they are going to rebuild it too.
I can explain why, but don't want to type a wall-o-text.

Anyways, I would get a second opinion on prices from an independent shop first.
There isn't much special about these cars mechanically.

And FYI, 2010 isn't new, it's 8 years old (2009 build year).
post #20 of 23 Old 01-24-2017, 04:49 AM
Korean Asswhoopin

Hyundai dealers call seafoaming induction services... used to do them, clean throttle body and basically spray a whole can of seafoam into the throttle with engine held around 2000 rpm. Produces a 007 like smoke screen which is always fun.

2016 VW Tiguan S Daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page