LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy0812 View Post
Can a mod move the following diagrams under the How to Install header?

I really like what you said here because what most people don't understand when they just throw on a breather filter to the crank case vent, is that it needs to have suction to the intake in order to breath according to the amount of boost you are making. but my one question is what about the vent that runs along the back side of the engine to the intake...the one right next to the crank case vent......shouldn't that be put to a oil catch can also....?

Built/Benson Sleeved
Haltech,Sheppey Manifold, GTX3076, ID 2000CC/ E85, Tial EWG, Synapse BOV, BR twin pump DW300 fuel pump, Aeromotive FPR, Stage 4 clutch, DSS Aluminum driveshaft/ axles, Custom diff mounts, all tranny/engine mounts, Garrett FMIC, Grimmspeed EBCM, BC valves/springs, Undercover Intake Manifold, UR pulleys, ATQ slim fan setup, BC coilovers, AG wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 02:52 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Nobody should be running a common chamber CC for both sides, regardless of climate. The AGP can setup is the way to go, or run 2 separate cans, one for each side of the system.

Seems that guys are blowing oil seals!
post #123 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 04:01 AM

^ this is exactly why I capped a port on my JUN BL can and ran it the same as the AGP catch can is run, and just vented my other PCV to atmosphere, car likes that MUCH better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwaszx
Dude... I just drove by Dunkin Donuts because I was too busy thinking about what kind of donut I wanted!
post #124 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 04:30 AM
I'd rather do it myself

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

Personally I have said all along not to interconnect the two. The best way is two individual cans.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."
post #125 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 04:57 AM

Agreed^

Some are saying here that it's best to have suction on the exhaust PCV side, why is it then that AGP simply runs a can with a breather on it on that side?

Quote:
Dude... I just drove by Dunkin Donuts because I was too busy thinking about what kind of donut I wanted!
post #126 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 05:06 AM
Tyr
Captain Awesomesauce

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

What's wrong with a one can system like Jun's? What are the dangers and what's going to break? I had a Mishimoto setup, now I have Jun's, I really don't want to switch again (I want to start putting money towards mods other than a CC setup and my exhaust ).

2010 Silverstone Premium 2.0T 5-Speed AT

Done:
AEM CAI
Synapse Synchronic DV
Weirtech FMIC kit + 600hp Garrett Core
WeirTech EVOLVE Al. TBE
PA 91 Stage-1
Dynojet CMD+WB2
Enkei RPF1 18x9.5/10.5
Michelin Pilot Super Sports 265/285
StopTech SS Lines w/ RBF600
Brembo GT Caliper w/ GLoc R8/R6
WeirTech Protoype Coolant Overflow Tank
Saikou Michi DC-3 Catch Cans
OEM GT Strut Bar
Eibach Sway Bar Kit
Solar Gard 20% All Around
post #127 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 05:37 AM
I'd rather do it myself

Garage

If you don't have suction on the PCV side then you are defeating the purpose of Positive Crankcase Ventilation. It lets the junk build up in the oil and internal parts of the motor. On the PCV makeup side you can get by with a filter on the can but there really is no need as the can will collect the crap.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
post #128 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 05:58 AM

Snoopy what happened to your can? Maybe pull that YouTube video...

PROTIP: Do not leave your car outside for millions of years. There will be nothing left.

- N20Inferno
post #129 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 06:03 AM
Tyr
Captain Awesomesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raspberry View Post
If you don't have suction on the PCV side then you are defeating the purpose of Positive Crankcase Ventilation. It lets the junk build up in the oil and internal parts of the motor. On the PCV makeup side you can get by with a filter on the can but there really is no need as the can will collect the crap.
If I run both sides to the JUN can and then run the JUN can to the intake, doesn't that create suction?

Done:
AEM CAI
Synapse Synchronic DV
WeirTech EVOLVE Al. TBE
PA 91 Stage-1
Dynojet CMD+WB2
Enkei RPF1 18x9.5/10.5
OEM GT Strut Bar
Eibach Sway Bar Kit
post #130 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raspberry View Post
So essentially, AGPs breather can is not sufficient...

Quote:
post #131 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 06:09 AM
I'd rather do it myself

Garage

You don't want a lot of suction on the valve cover side.

I really don't know what the internal design is of the one can setups. But with the normal PCV system one side is open to intake vacuum, quite high, the other side is the make up air to replace what is being pulled out by the intake suction.

Throw the turbo in there that pressurizes the intake. The coupe uses a check valve to prevent the crankcase from building up pressure, at that time the valve cover side is seeing a slight vacuum from the pull of the intake air going through the charge pipe. It is nothing like the vacuum of the intake though.

My fear with a one can system would be over pressurization of the crankcase, leading to blown seals, and not removing the combustion byproducts (blowby) from the oil.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
post #132 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
If I run both sides to the JUN can and then run the JUN can to the intake, doesn't that create suction?
Yes it does, but the problem is that when your in vaccum you're supposed to be pulling from the intake manifold side PCV. An when you're in boost the check valve is supposed to shut. With it hooked to the turbo intake, it's just pulling vaccum all the time. It made my car run strange, shot my oil dipstick out of the motor and made strange "sha sha sha" suction sounds at WOT. Since changing the JUN to run from intake manifold side PCV>catch can> intake manifold. And capping the 3rd bung that used to run to the turbo side PCV, all these issues have stopped.

Quote:
post #133 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Tyr
Captain Awesomesauce

Huh. I've had mine on for like 3k or 4k km and I don't have any of those issues. My car makes a sucking noise at WOT but that's the AEM CAI. No CEL or anything, and my dipstick is still firmly planted in her.

Done:
AEM CAI
Synapse Synchronic DV
WeirTech EVOLVE Al. TBE
PA 91 Stage-1
Dynojet CMD+WB2
Enkei RPF1 18x9.5/10.5
OEM GT Strut Bar
Eibach Sway Bar Kit
post #134 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Banned

The filtered Passenger side AGP can works by allowing the system to draw fresh air in, when running around in manifold vacuum, and to allow crankcase pressure to escape, under boost pressure.

The problem with this setup is that the fresh, filtered air goes back through a filthy catch can.
post #135 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Can a mod move the following diagrams under the How to Install header?

With the right check valves you can use the JUN BL catch can...sorry was in a meeting at work and wasn't giving it much thought to type at the time...

With the check valve stated as is IM...PCV stays

Block the crank vent...(thoughts?) and run the intake line to catch can

2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T GT 6-speed in Nordschleife Gray

Last edited by RudyH; 02-08-2012 at 07:10 AM.
post #136 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Banned

You can use it, but its not properly engineered, with a single chamber. If it was internally devided, it would be the Bee's knees. The Cat's meow. The Dogs Bollocks.
post #137 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 AM

Hmm sounds like the best way is two dedicated CCs. One for each side. I'll use my JUN for the IM side and pick up a can for the turbo side. Any mounting ideas for a can on the turbo side?

Quote:
post #138 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
슈퍼 쿠페 ^_^

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Sorry for some confusion on this.

Diagrams and video was pulled to prevent others from installing those ways until I'm done investigating the potential issue. Dual Catch cans with a check valve is and always has been the safest method possible to install a CC setup on ANY car hence it's still up however the potential issue could occur even in this setup.

This condition would only be present in climates that dipped below -18c and has NOTHING to do with catch can contents freezing, it relates to an engine component that could even cause an issue without a CC installed.

Hyundai Canada has been made aware of this issue and it is being investigated actively.

Hyundai Canada has also informed me that breather style catch cans are not recommended and could cause undesirable opperation outside of the emmisions control aspect.

I'll update when I have more information or a conclusion to the situation. Thanks.
post #139 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 09:39 AM

I rarely see below 15* Fahrenheit where I live, so I don't have to worry about this correct?

Quote:
post #140 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Sorry for some confusion on this.

Diagrams and video was pulled to prevent others from installing those ways until I'm done investigating the potential issue. Dual Catch cans with a check valve is and always has been the safest method possible to install a CC setup on ANY car hence it's still up however the potential issue could occur even in this setup.

This condition would only be present in climates that dipped below -18c and has NOTHING to do with catch can contents freezing, it relates to an engine component that could even cause an issue without a CC installed.

Hyundai Canada has been made aware of this issue and it is being investigated actively.

Hyundai Canada has also informed me that breather style catch cans are not recommended and could cause undesirable opperation outside of the emmisions control aspect.

I'll update when I have more information or a conclusion to the situation. Thanks.
exactly because as you stated before the crank case need to have a suction on it in order to be effective.

Built/Benson Sleeved
Haltech,Sheppey Manifold, GTX3076, ID 2000CC/ E85, Tial EWG, Synapse BOV, BR twin pump DW300 fuel pump, Aeromotive FPR, Stage 4 clutch, DSS Aluminum driveshaft/ axles, Custom diff mounts, all tranny/engine mounts, Garrett FMIC, Grimmspeed EBCM, BC valves/springs, Undercover Intake Manifold, UR pulleys, ATQ slim fan setup, BC coilovers, AG wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page