슈퍼 쿠페 ^_^

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNDAI View Post
I rarely see below 15* Fahrenheit where I live, so I don't have to worry about this correct?
At this point, no.
Just for reference, -18c = ~0f

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementrider87 View Post
exactly because as you stated before the crank case need to have a suction on it in order to be effective.
Well at first that was just my interpretation of Hyundai's design and data, this time it's coming from HMCC's tech dept.
I was also told that "wrongful installation of vapor collectors will be investigated on any engine related warranty claims that are relevant", that being said they saw how my CC system was installed and said it was not related to my turbo seal failure.

Now that does not mean that all the recent turbo failures are Hyundai's specific issue and they will never warranty component failure if the ECU has been tampered with in regards to boost and fuel. They also will deny turbo related claims for devices including; boost controllers, turbo timers (don't know why), recalibration (wastegate mod), specific diverter valves (wouldn't give me a list), changed internals and choked oil lines.

Now this is Hyundai Canada, this does not affect US customers and they wouldn't comment on how Americans would be handled because they have no control or influence on it, but they did say "American DSM's and CTM's tend to be a lot less forgiving."

We are looking at a different component but it's now out of my hands and up to HMCC to come to their own conclusion, I'm just giving out info I've been given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage

Typical "we wont warranty your car" cuz you built the engine....a.k.a. making it way better, put in a cc a.k.a. saving your engines lifespan and performance, getting a tune a.k.a making the car run the way it should have from the factory!, changing you tires a.k.a making your traction and safety better. anything they can think of to say..."oh no, he must be a racer! He put on a cold air intake so the engine can breath better, he put in a more efficient intercooler and radiator to make the engine safer, he put on a A/F gauge to make sure the car isn't messing up!..DENIED"

*end of rant*

Built/Benson Sleeved
Haltech,Sheppey Manifold, GTX3076, ID 2000CC/ E85, Tial EWG, Synapse BOV, BR twin pump DW300 fuel pump, Aeromotive FPR, Stage 4 clutch, DSS Aluminum driveshaft/ axles, Custom diff mounts, all tranny/engine mounts, Garrett FMIC, Grimmspeed EBCM, BC valves/springs, Undercover Intake Manifold, UR pulleys, ATQ slim fan setup, BC coilovers, AG wheels.
post #143 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Snoopy not sure if i missed it but how did you have your CC installed with one can. I have been running a single custom CC for 10k + miles. IM PCV is still in place but crankcase is straight to the CC that has a filter.
post #144 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
슈퍼 쿠페 ^_^

Garage
(Thread Starter)

At this point I won't be elaborating on that method. If you'd like you can PM me a pic of what you did.
post #145 of 626 Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 PM
www.lam-photography.com

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I am so confused right now.

I have a greddy airinix SRI, and i have a 2012 genesis coupe in 6 speeds. There is a hole where i can just connect it back to the intake pipe, without running a catch can. I was just thinking about to get the hose and connect them back together

In that case, will that ruin my engine life span? Currently, i have a breather filter on it as a temp fix cuz i couldn't find the right size hose.

Or if it is better just to clean my breather filter regularly?
post #146 of 626 Old 02-09-2012, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
슈퍼 쿠페 ^_^

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Just get a hose and run it back to the intake for now, if HMCC says no to breathers for operation more than likely HMA will too.

Catch cans ADD to engine life, remember, in normal operating conditions (not modded) your engine is good for at least 10 years if properly maintained. Catch cans will help extend that time and help keep the HP nominal over that time (HP decreases usually with age, TopGear proven).
post #147 of 626 Old 02-09-2012, 06:13 AM
I'd rather do it myself

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

You just need to put the cans inline on the existing hoses and there will be no problems.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."
post #148 of 626 Old 02-09-2012, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Snoopy would you recomend for us Canadian to remove our catch can during the winter?
post #149 of 626 Old 02-09-2012, 06:52 AM
I'd rather do it myself

Garage

The problem with catch cans in the winter is if the inside is baffled in such a way that freezing liquid clogs it up. The cheap ebay cans will not do this as the two ports are on top and the whole thing would have to be full to clog it due to freezing.

It really depends on what type of can you have.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
post #150 of 626 Old 02-09-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiss View Post
Snoopy would you recomend for us Canadian to remove our catch can during the winter?
I would empty your catch can on the service desk and tell the service department you are saving Hyundai money.

I don't see how a turbo oil seal would be broken by a catch can. I can see an over boosted turbo breaking an oil seal though.

2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T GT 6-speed in Nordschleife Gray
post #151 of 626 Old 02-09-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
슈퍼 쿠페 ^_^

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Neither I, my service dept. or the DSM felt the catch can would result in a blown turbo seal. Since my car has a stock tune (verified by Hyundai's CTM) they are just replacing the turbo.

The CTM only stated to not run a breather as the crank case was designed to be under vacuum while in boost at higher rpm's. His reasoning has nothing to do with environmental issues.

As for removing it for winter..
As red said, I think it would depend on your can. I'm not going to.
post #152 of 626 Old 02-09-2012, 08:23 PM

Garage

Hey you never answered my question..the line on the back of the engine that comes from what looks like a 4way check valve on the right side of the engine, and goes behind the engine to the intake port...Im pretty sure that is just a simple breather port and it should be ok to just put a Breather filter on it...but inform me if im wrong.

Built/Benson Sleeved
Haltech,Sheppey Manifold, GTX3076, ID 2000CC/ E85, Tial EWG, Synapse BOV, BR twin pump DW300 fuel pump, Aeromotive FPR, Stage 4 clutch, DSS Aluminum driveshaft/ axles, Custom diff mounts, all tranny/engine mounts, Garrett FMIC, Grimmspeed EBCM, BC valves/springs, Undercover Intake Manifold, UR pulleys, ATQ slim fan setup, BC coilovers, AG wheels.
post #153 of 626 Old 02-09-2012, 08:30 PM
I'd rather do it myself

Garage

That line is to supply vacuum when you are under boost. It's the line coming off the valve cover to the pre turbo intake that they put a filter on. But then the oil ends up dripping all over the engine compartment.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
post #154 of 626 Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
슈퍼 쿠페 ^_^

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementrider87 View Post
Hey you never answered my question..the line on the back of the engine that comes from what looks like a 4way check valve on the right side of the engine, and goes behind the engine to the intake port...Im pretty sure that is just a simple breather port and it should be ok to just put a Breather filter on it...but inform me if im wrong.
That is part of your braking system, it's so you can recharge your brake booster when your car is under boost. Under normal driving conditions you won't notice not having it connected but it would be VERY unsafe to not have that connected pre-turbo during track driving or any situation that requires heavy brake use.

There is a one way check valve between that metal pipe and the intake pipe that needs to be in place to prevent boost leaks.

Do NOT put a breather on either of them, it's safer to put both to intake if you don't have a cc for the ccv and there is no need to cc the brake booster.
post #155 of 626 Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 PM

Garage

thank you! i guess i WILL take the breather off and put it back to the intake.....i put my IM side VMS oil catch can on today also i put a fuel filter right after the can and a PVC check valve right after that before it gets to the IM like you said, makes sense to me, ill post pics tomorrow. ty

Built/Benson Sleeved
post #156 of 626 Old 02-10-2012, 04:08 AM

ok, so breathing the crankcase is going to be bad for the engine; does that put the AGP crankcase side CC out of the loop, or is it possible to just pull off the breather filter and run a hose to the intake? will the IM side CC fit over on the crankcase side?

Snoopy, what is your opinion on Mishimoto vs AGP vs S-Max? i haven't seen the baffle system in the mishimoto, in your opinion which is the best route to go? Also how do you think these would be mounted at an angle? unless i get the AGP i would be looking at putting driverside CC by the fuse box, and putting the passenger side behind the headlight (windshield wiper fluid container has been removed). I have moved my passenger side fuse box because i have a top mount and it started to melt and i don't really feel putting the CC on that bracket by the turbo would be the best spot for it. If you want i can shoot you some pictures of my engine bay so you can see what im working with.

Power Lab manifold + GT3071R + Haltech = 424 whp and maxed injectors (never tuned the water/meth)

Having somebody build your car for you is like getting a prostitute over a wife. Sure you pay a bit, but you get all the fun with out any of the headache.
post #157 of 626 Old 02-10-2012, 05:43 AM
I'd rather do it myself

Garage

One thing that most don't seem to realize is the contents from the two sides is different. The PCV valve side is not an oil liquid as it comes out of the PCV valve but a gas. It is combustion gases, water and petroleum byproducts. This condenses into a liquid and is thinner than what comes out the other side. Internal to the valve cover should be some sort of oil separator. I don't know for sure but there has been one every other motor I've set up a CC system on. I call the can on this side a condensation can.

The turbo side is an oil mist that comes off the top of the valve train. It is mostly oil and will only come out when under boost as when the intake is vacuum this side has air going into the valve cover to make up the gases being drawn off through the PCV valve.

That's why I keep them separate and use individual cans. No need for check valves. And a fuel filter is not going to do anything. If used on the PCV side the blowby gases will just pass through. If any do condense in it there will be way too much to collect in the filter.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
post #158 of 626 Old 02-10-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raspberry View Post
The PCV valve side is not an oil liquid as it comes out of the PCV valve but a gas.
Unrelated story...

I was emptying my catch can Wednesday into an ice cream container. This is when the neighbor kids came over and asked what I was doing. So I told them 'emptying some gunk from my car', and showed them.

Then the one kid asks 'is that how you make ice cream? that looks like melted ice cream'

Good thing I am not a bad neighbor...

2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T GT 6-speed in Nordschleife Gray
post #159 of 626 Old 02-10-2012, 08:23 AM

I emptied my catch can into a
McDonald's sweet tea styrofoam cup. Forgetting that gas dissolves styrofoam. To anyone wondering how much gas is in the contents, it dissolved the styrofoam cup within seconds and leaked all over the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwaszx
Dude... I just drove by Dunkin Donuts because I was too busy thinking about what kind of donut I wanted!
post #160 of 626 Old 02-10-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyH View Post
Unrelated story...

I was emptying my catch can Wednesday into an ice cream container. This is when the neighbor kids came over and asked what I was doing. So I told them 'emptying some gunk from my car', and showed them.

Then the one kid asks 'is that how you make ice cream? that looks like melted ice cream'

Good thing I am not a bad neighbor...

did the kids come over because you have a van parked in the front that says "free candy" on the side?

Power Lab manifold + GT3071R + Haltech = 424 whp and maxed injectors (never tuned the water/meth)

Having somebody build your car for you is like getting a prostitute over a wife. Sure you pay a bit, but you get all the fun with out any of the headache.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page