post #1 of 626 Old 10-02-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
슈퍼 쿠페 ^_^

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Why you NEED a catch-can

There does seem to be a lot of confusion on pretty much any forum in regards to catch cans and what they do.

First I'll start off with what a catch can is;
-A container that catches fumes and vapors from the valve assembly or crank case prior to being introduced back into the intake system for emmissions purposes.

Now this is a bit different than a breather or breather style catch can;
Breather - a filter that replaces a valve case or crank case tube that usually recirculates the fumes to the intake for emmissions purposes, with the filter, fumes and vapors are now vented to atmosphere.

Breather style catch can - A container that catches fumes and vapors from the valve assembly or crank case and vents through a filter to atmosphere rather than back into the intake system for emmissions purposes.

Now that we know what our options are, why should we and what is our best option?

Why should we install a catch can?
The reason to install a catch can is simple, to catch those fumes and vapors to prevent them from re-entering the intake system. These fumes and vapors could be anything from oil, to fuel, to condensation (yes.. WATER!).
These fumes reduce performance, longevity and can actually reduce the octane level in your cylinder during combustion that steals fuel economy and could cause harmful detonation. Grime and sludge also build up on the valves and cylinder head further making a mess of your engine.

Which option then is best for you?
Well it honestly depends on your engine and to what degree you plan on adding protection to your vehicle, also local and state/provincial laws regarding emmissions control.

A simple catch can is usually the safest route to go because it covers all your bases. It also allows you to keep vacuum on the system which helps to collect the vapors.

Just a breather filter on isn't always the best or legal method as those vapors will go straight to atmosphere. Usually the filter gets all plugged up and could leak caught vapors down the side of your engine or get sprayed under hard acceleration. This method also doesn't allow you to use your engines vacuum to help remove those pesky fumes.

A breather filter catch can helps keep your engine bay clean by trapping the fumes but also allows the valve assembly or crank case to breathe however it likes to. Again, though, it doesn't allow you to use the engines vacuum to aid the process.

Anything I should know for installing one?

Make sure though that a catch can NEVER sees boost from a turbo vehicle (such as our 2.0T's), boost going into a catch can can just end up pushing all that sludge in one gunky mess right into your intake and cause massive issues.

PCV valves are another consideration, they are probably the #1 contributer to gunk and condensation, they should have a catch can installed on them, again though, make sure on turbo applications that the can isn't routed to see boost.

NEVER install a catch can on an external EGR system, it could cause a fire or damage your engine.

Ok, it's installed... now what?
Well just like your air filter or tires, it needs to be checked and serviced regularly. Check it every oil change (5000km's or 3000miles) or every time you open your hood. For the first 5000km's try and check it every 1000km's, that way you'll be able to tell how much collected is normal. It's perfectly normal for your car to burn through a litre of oil per service interval, expect around 60 to 100ml (2-3oz) to end up in the can.
But you'll have more than just oil in there, there will be fuel that escaped while the valves were open, condensation from valve cover and crank case during hot shut downs. How much of the 'other' stuff will depend on anything from how rich your car is running, altitude, how hard you drive and even environmental things such as whether it's been raining a lot lately.

Once you know what's normal, start looking out for things that are not normal. If your catch can came with a magnetic plug make sure it's always clean, you should never have metal shavings in your catch can.. if you do.. it's a sign you've got some serious issues and your car should NOT be driven until it's been inspected.

Coolant is another thing that should NEVER been in a catch can, it means you've got a seal or gasket that's broken and leaking coolant into your engine. Again, if it's there... don't drive your car.. you'll just make things worse.

To check for coolant the easiest method is to use a glass container to collect your catch can contents.. then freeze it in your freezer. Water will be at the bottom with lots of heavy sludge, then oil, then coolant, then fuel. The best way to check is the freeze method as it causes everything to seperate and become easily identifiable.

Any pictures for me to reference against?
What's a good outline without pictures?

First picture,
Here is a freshly caught catch can sample after slightly over 5000km's.

See how its slightly seperated at this point but we still can't say for sure how much is oil and how much is condensation or anything else.. but there is a lot of sludge in the bottom... ew.

Second picture,
After being stuck in the freezer over night the oil is clearly visable in contrast to the sludge and water. There is a very thin layer of fuel on the top.

Empyting your catch can:

I'm just adding this for a complete guide, but your catch can contents are considered oil and need to be disposed of correctly in accordance with all federal, state/province and local bylaws and regulations. Even though there may be water or fuel in it it should be accepted by any place that disposes of oil after oil changes, the environment levy was paid when the oil went into your engine so no additional expenses should be expected. Not to sound like a hippy but think of our environment and be responsible.

How to Install
King Pizzle likes this.

Last edited by Snoopy0812; 10-16-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 626 Old 10-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

... sticky this.

Very valuable info! Thanks snoopy!

Sent from my DROIDX
post #3 of 626 Old 10-02-2011, 07:08 PM

so how exactly is a catch can set up? I've always been interested when I see people making their own outta NOS energy drink bottles and ****. :lol:
post #4 of 626 Old 10-02-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
슈퍼 쿠페 ^_^

Garage
(Thread Starter)

catch cans are setup on a per-vehicle basis really.. there is no ultimate install guide because each engine is different.. I could say how to on a 2.0T but that's about it... but thats going in my how-to guide for installing a catch can.

This is just a reference piece to help everyone out.
post #5 of 626 Old 10-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Blumagic Fanboi

Snoopy, you seem to know your stuff.. Is it a good idea to put a catch can on a 3.8? As far as you know, does the 3.8 have a EGR system?
post #6 of 626 Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
슈퍼 쿠페 ^_^

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Most CVVT's don't have an EGR due to the fact they can change their timing to get the same effect. The warning though is only to external EGR's, which few vehicles have but I like to warn people anyways.

There is no reason to not put a catch can on a vehicle. Manufacturer's don't because it'd just be another thing for the consumer to maintain (dealers have enough issues with people even showing up for their oil changes) and if it gets too full it could cause an issue.. hence.. empty it at least every 5000km.

It's also wise to buy a quality catch can that has a filter in it.. if you can't afford one then buy an inline fuel filter to go with your catch can.. or just keep buying inline fuel filters and changing them out every 2000km's or so.. they're about $10 at your local auto parts store.
post #7 of 626 Old 10-02-2011, 09:28 PM

SUN★WORKS

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Garage

IMO this should be one of the first mods you get.

Heres mine after roughly 2500 milesL

Sponsored by:
TurboXS / Competition Clutch / GarageLine / Corbeau Seats / General Tire / KDM Racing

12.96@117.22mph on street tires!
12.78@108.43mph -Quickest pass to date
475WHP/363wtq

post #8 of 626 Old 10-03-2011, 05:56 AM

Garage

Wow, that's quite the bottle of crap you got out of yours Snoop!

I've had mine on for about 2000 kms and I got about what SteveJohns got out of his. I only got it out of the drivers side though, I didn't get anything out of the passenger side can.

2010 Silverstone 2.0T M/T Prem

Anytime Fogs w/ Lamin-X
EuroExport BOV spacer
Racal Short Shifter and TIC bushings
Two catch cans
Importshark polyurethane grill in flat black
OEM Front strut bar
K&N Drop-in, Re-gapped plugs, 87 > 89 = big mileage gain!
post #9 of 626 Old 10-03-2011, 08:20 AM

SUN★WORKS

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by werebear3 View Post
Wow, that's quite the bottle of crap you got out of yours Snoop!

I've had mine on for about 2000 kms and I got about what SteveJohns got out of his. I only got it out of the drivers side though, I didn't get anything out of the passenger side can.
Same. Just the diver side. In running both cans just incase though

Sponsored by:
TurboXS / Competition Clutch / GarageLine / Corbeau Seats / General Tire / KDM Racing

12.96@117.22mph on street tires!
12.78@108.43mph -Quickest pass to date
475WHP/363wtq

post #10 of 626 Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
슈퍼 쿠페 ^_^

Garage
(Thread Starter)

The crap in mine is most likely because she's not a DD right now and we've been having some extreme temperature changes like going from +30c in the afternoon to -3c at night.
post #11 of 626 Old 10-03-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy0812 View Post
catch cans are setup on a per-vehicle basis really.. there is no ultimate install guide because each engine is different.. I could say how to on a 2.0T but that's about it... but thats going in my how-to guide for installing a catch can.

This is just a reference piece to help everyone out.
So, there's an existing DIY you made or an upcoming one?
post #12 of 626 Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 AM
GCMafia

Garage

damn thats nasty in the first pic it looks like its mixed with water!!! noob question N/A motors dont need this right?

PERFORMANCE
ARK - Tomei Ti - P2R - Grimmspeed - NST - TWM - TiC - AEM - BC RACING - QUAIFE - WHITELINE - CP-E - MEGAN RACING - MISHIMOTO - KHAR
LOOKS
Flossy - ARK - Sequence - Fly Ride - FIVE:AD S5:F - Enkei RPF1
19x9.5+25f-245/35 19x10.5+22r-275/35
18x9.5 +15 265/35 All Around

NSFW!
post #13 of 626 Old 10-03-2011, 09:47 AM

Do you have any photos of the can installed? I know you said that you were going to make a how to (looking forward to it) just thought it would be cool to see where yours or anyones is placed.
post #14 of 626 Old 10-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Oh crap a speed bump.....

Garage

on only running one on the drivers side right this moment, with a filter on crank case. ive yet to see any build up on the filter, so im pretty sure I don't need one on the passenger side too.

2011 K White 2.0T R-Spec
Magnaflow CBE|CP-e Catless DP|AEM CAI|HKS SSQV|mishimoto stealth intercooler|Matte black wing badge|M&S type D grill|8K HID's|Megan racing coilovers|
RMR Owners Club

*Join my facebook group if you are located in North TX*

NTX Genesis coupe owners
http://www.facebook.com/groups/208767555854830
post #15 of 626 Old 10-03-2011, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
슈퍼 쿠페 ^_^

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I'll be making a DIY fairly soon, so placement questions will be answered then.

Yes 3.8's benefit from a catch can, any automotive engine will benefit from keeping sludge out of the cumbustion chamber.
post #16 of 626 Old 10-03-2011, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

snoopy you the man!

i dont know what took me so long but i got one about 2 weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfoxhound View Post
I don't believe in that dumb quote about setting a bird free, because once you set it free that bitch be suckin all the dicks that bird can get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueAddict View Post
It can be frustrating, expecting that sudden boost and then it falls flat. Sort of like when you’re masturbating, at climax and the damn phone rings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedwolf View Post
If you replace the pipes, could you just get a Y spliter and also have a CAI installed below the airbox? Can the turbo/ engine handle that much air flow?
post #17 of 626 Old 10-03-2011, 03:05 PM
tadam!

Garage

thanks snoop
great info!

any brand recommandation for a 3.8 catch can?

Car is parted out, selling it soon...

2010 Genesis coupe 3.8
M&S Type D grill - E&G front lip - AEM CAI - Ark True Dual exhaust - E&G custom wrapped diffuser- Gram Lights 57 Xtreme 19x9.5 +25 _ 19x10.5 +25- HSD coilovers - custom tails -Hella Supertones horn - Blox knob - tablet gps/media center - added Brembos - M&S side skirts - SF-X CF hood - custom headlight - VIS cf fog surrounds
post #18 of 626 Old 10-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Jedi Master

can a list of good quality and recommended oil catchcan/breathers be given?

I am not a list of mods but what i know and share:
http://www.gencoupe.com/2-0t/94778-fuel-system-what-you-need-know.html
http://www.gencoupe.com/2-0t/86146-wastegate-101-a.html
http://www.gencoupe.com/2-0t/91199-compressor-maps-how-read-them.html

Fav. JT Quote

Quote:
I know you like making threads about these things that have been covered a ton, but this time, no.
post #19 of 626 Old 10-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Blumagic Fanboi

Been reading the Service manual for the 3.8 Looks like I will also be buying a catch-can when I get a genny
post #20 of 626 Old 10-03-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
슈퍼 쿠페 ^_^

Garage
(Thread Starter)

My all time favorite catch can is this one:
Moroso : Category Display

But the AGP can is also a very good one too, available here:
Genesis Coupe AGP Oil Accumulator Catch Can - AGP Turbochargers, Inc. Store

Both work on both the 2.0T and 3.8, installation is the same for both cans but a bit different between the engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page