Magnaflow resonated x pipe - Hyundai Genesis Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-16-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Magnaflow resonated x pipe

Sup, never posted so my apologies if something with formatting is wrong. I just recently purchased a 2012 3.8 Track MT, with 80k miles. Loving it so far, aside from the inability to shift smooth without ample practice and understanding of this unique transmission. I'm looking to change the exhaust set up, I'm not into any of the premade systems out there. The muffler delete sounds good but I feel as if I might get annoyed with it. The flowmaster 80 has a good volume but I don't particularly care for the pitch and wine that comes with it. I've decided try something custom, I'm thinking of putting a magnaflow resonated x pipe (11386) directly after the secondary cats, with dual piping back to tips. I feel as if this is the best option, it will include an x pipe and resonation without the need for separate parts. I don't believe that anybody has tried this before, any ideas or suggestions?? I'm actually worried that it will be too quiet, considering that the resonation occurs where the pipes cross.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-17-2017, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstonebeats View Post
Sup, never posted so my apologies if something with formatting is wrong. I just recently purchased a 2012 3.8 Track MT, with 80k miles. Loving it so far, aside from the inability to shift smooth without ample practice and understanding of this unique transmission. I'm looking to change the exhaust set up, I'm not into any of the premade systems out there. The muffler delete sounds good but I feel as if I might get annoyed with it. The flowmaster 80 has a good volume but I don't particularly care for the pitch and wine that comes with it. I've decided try something custom, I'm thinking of putting a magnaflow resonated x pipe (11386) directly after the secondary cats, with dual piping back to tips. I feel as if this is the best option, it will include an x pipe and resonation without the need for separate parts. I don't believe that anybody has tried this before, any ideas or suggestions?? I'm actually worried that it will be too quiet, considering that the resonation occurs where the pipes cross.
Sup.
I messed around with our factory exhaust for a bit before picking what I wanted.
Which included drilled primary and secondary cats (secondary cats first, swapped out for test pipes, then drilled primary).
Created quite a bit of "err, grr, rumble, whistle, pop", in that order.
Honestly the Second cats being replaced with test pipes would have been sufficient to make it sound much nicer IMO, but the muffler had to go anyways.
I have straight pipes out the end now with an X pipe in place of the test pipes, STOCK down pipes and header as well because replacing those doesn't seem worth it at the moment and I like the startup/idle purr. Doesn't have any rasp until 5.5K+ RPM which at that point airflow is high enough it sounds like love. My wife, having heard me hit the posted "40"mph (or 108, who knows anymore) on the back roads here said it sounded beautiful. So I guess I'm solid.

Of all the real custom setups I've heard, straight w/ primary cats to test pipes then resonators and exit - seemed to sound the nicest. Every video I've watched as well as testing with my own car showed a CAI also changed the range of rasp to higher up, in case you haven't done that already.

Dual tipped exhaust is a must have, otherwise it just looks odd (excluded; Turbo owners, rock on with them single pipes please).
post #3 of 7 Old 02-17-2017, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage

We used a resonated X-pipe setup on Project Hoondy's custom exhaust and it worked fantastically. We assembled separate resonators and X-pipe components to build a custom mid-pipe, but an integrated unit like the one you're looking at from Magnaflow should perform similarly. Resonators really help cut out the drone without reducing the aggression of the exhaust sound when you get on the gas.

We wanted minimal rasp from our system, so we kept the cats and integrated a custom muffler as well. A no-muffler system will have more rasp and be louder overall, but that should be ok if you're into that sort of thing.

Here's how it ended up sounding, a muscular no-rasp, no-drone setup that we've really fallen in love with:

Quote:
I don't believe that anybody has tried this before, any ideas or suggestions??
I don't know about that specific Magnaflow unit, but there are definitely several guys running an integrated resonator/x-pipe combo. There are a couple of different old Ferrari mufflers that work as resonated X-pipes. Mufflers from both the Ferrari 456 and 550 have been used, really wild sound:

Here's a pic of a Ferrari 550 resonated X-pipe install, this is on a GenCoupe that belongs to Jesse Crabtree:

Quote:
I'm actually worried that it will be too quiet, considering that the resonation occurs where the pipes cross.
Yea, don't worry about that. Any no-muffler install on this platform is LOUD. Even our own setup with a muffler is pretty damn noisy when you get on the gas.

Quote:
Loving it so far, aside from the inability to shift smooth...
As a side-note, the notchy shifting and potential missed shifts on this platform are caused by floppy drivetrain mounts, not the transmission itself. A Megan Racing Transmission mount will help the problem and firmer engine mounts will eliminate it completely. We have upgraded engine, trans, and rear diff mounts on Project Hoondy and you can tell how slick our shifts are as a result in that exhaust video posted above.

Happy tuning!

Last edited by StrangeLiform; 02-17-2017 at 01:23 AM.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-18-2017, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Garage

I just actually did this (#11385)..... Was gonna go with a used maserati GT center muffler. I am glad i didnt..... It is a flat out wicked sound with 2-1/4" piping. Not too loud when cruizing but holy sheep ballz it comes to life when you open her up... You will have to like some drone here and there, it doesnt bother my def a$$ . And coming from my previous single setup the car is awake now.... Anyway cant go wrong with this. If you can listen to this with headphones, there are some sounds the phone just wont put out.

https://youtu.be/oMFsjRT2JlE
post #5 of 7 Old 02-18-2017, 05:14 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeLiform View Post
We used a resonated X-pipe setup on Project Hoondy's custom exhaust and it worked fantastically. We assembled separate resonators and X-pipe components to build a custom mid-pipe, but an integrated unit like the one you're looking at from Magnaflow should perform similarly. Resonators really help cut out the drone without reducing the aggression of the exhaust sound when you get on the gas.

We wanted minimal rasp from our system, so we kept the cats and integrated a custom muffler as well. A no-muffler system will have more rasp and be louder overall, but that should be ok if you're into that sort of thing.

Here's how it ended up sounding, a muscular no-rasp, no-drone setup that we've really fallen in love with:

Quote:
I don't believe that anybody has tried this before, any ideas or suggestions??
I don't know about that specific Magnaflow unit, but there are definitely several guys running an integrated resonator/x-pipe combo. There are a couple of different old Ferrari mufflers that work as resonated X-pipes. Mufflers from both the Ferrari 456 and 550 have been used, really wild sound:

Here's a pic of a Ferrari 550 resonated X-pipe install, this is on a GenCoupe that belongs to Jesse Crabtree:

Quote:
I'm actually worried that it will be too quiet, considering that the resonation occurs where the pipes cross.
Yea, don't worry about that. Any no-muffler install on this platform is LOUD. Even our own setup with a muffler is pretty damn noisy when you get on the gas.

Quote:
Loving it so far, aside from the inability to shift smooth...
As a side-note, the notchy shifting and potential missed shifts on this platform are caused by floppy drivetrain mounts, not the transmission itself. A Megan Racing Transmission mount will help the problem and firmer engine mounts will eliminate it completely. We have upgraded engine, trans, and rear diff mounts on Project Hoondy and you can tell how slick our shifts are as a result in that exhaust video posted above.

Happy tuning!
Holy crap that rear muffler!!!! Work of art right there
post #6 of 7 Old 02-18-2017, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchode View Post
Hand-built by Ron at SpinTech exhaust. It says: "COME AT ME BRO!"

post #7 of 7 Old 02-18-2017, 12:06 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeLiform View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchode View Post
Hand-built by Ron at SpinTech exhaust. It says: "COME AT ME BRO!"

Well whoever Ron @ Spintech is.... He's a freaking wizard. I love that and most things that are out outside the box thinking. Thanks for sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
3.8 , exhaust , magnaflow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page