How a 306hp V6 Genesis Coupe became a 364hp V6 Genesis Coupe, with dyno graphs ... - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums

GenCoupe.com is the premier Hyundai Genesis Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Master Member #518

Default How a 306hp V6 Genesis Coupe became a 364hp V6 Genesis Coupe, with dyno graphs ...

I hope Galbi doesn't get angry with me for stealing his thunder...

Car gains 47.5whp total, if you do a reverse calculation for power at the flywheel, power goes from 306hp to 364hp, keep reading to understand how.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post
3.8 V6

Stock on regular fuel vs "Drag and drift limiter taken off" *

*no idea what that means (I'm guessing rev limiter?)

3.8 V6

Stock regular fuel vs Intake + Exhaust + Regular Fuel

3.8 V6

Stock regular fuel vs Intake + Exhaust + Premium fuel.

"Drag and drift limiter taken off" probably means traction control and stability control turned off. You can't drag race if you keep having the computer cut fuel when it senses any tire slip, and you can't drift a car if the stability control keeps traction in check on turns when you need to have the car loose traction to slide.

From the dyno tests I see that simply turning off the ECU limiters gives 24.5whp!!! I can see that they took it to a higher RPM also, but that didn't effect the peak power since the peak was at 6250RPM on either one (where they took it to 6700 and 7400RPM respectively). There is more power under the curve the higher you take it, so for drag racing it will benefit you to rev it the higher the better. That's probably where the "drag limiter" or Traction Control being turned off helps out. If you were to shift at such a high RPM, tests may have shown that you will loose traction upon engaging the next gear, so that is why Traction Control is also programmed to reduce the rev limiter.

Then, they put an Intake and Exhaust on, and gained an additional 12whp.
Then, they simply made a change from Regular to Premium fuel, and gained another additional 11whp from that.

So, the car gained 47.5whp total!

If you do a reverse calculation for loss, and say that 306hp at the flywheel equates to 250whp, then you can say that the dyno is reading at 18.4% lower than at the power at the flywheel is suppose to make. Or, in other words 18.4% loss, which is inline to what cars usually have a loss at on a dynojet. My current FWD car lost 17.5% as an example. So, if you increase the power at the wheels from 250whp to 297.5whp, then essential you went from a car that makes 306hp flywheel to 364hp flywheel.

So, we now have a 364hp car with intake+exhaust+premium fuel.

THAT'S AMAZING! Take that 370Z! Let me see you make another 30whp to compete! For less money, I don't think so!

"...this isnt a tib. the 3.8 will always be a better engine in stock form, and with boltons, and with a turbo/bigger turbo..." 4TGEN
"My [blah blah blah] was a beast, but I don't live in the past..." Hank

Last edited by McFly; 01-27-2009 at 09:09 PM.
McFly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #2

how do you turn limiters off. re map?
logitec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
Master Member #518

Don't know. It's been said that the US version will come with the ability to turn them off.

Previously, I kept on seeing these dyno's, and kept thinking it HAS to be a reflash. You can't just gain 25hp any other way that I know.

But, it may indeed be that the ECU limiters are working in such a way that they have the coils or injectors working in such a way that in order to allow an interval of cutting the fuel/spark they had to run them at a partial mode. This way they could get the ECU to come in and give the traction/stability control necessary. It would mean that Hyundai sort of cheaped out on the Traction/Stability Control systems... but, that would also mean that the engine has more power than the ratings are giving.

So, when the systems are engaged you have the factory rating... But, once off, you have full power, that was not rated, 25whp more!!!

So, essentially, the GenCoupe V6 has more power to the wheels stock than the 370Z. In more words, THE GENCOUPE V6 IS UNDERRATED, HURRAY!!!

"...this isnt a tib. the 3.8 will always be a better engine in stock form, and with boltons, and with a turbo/bigger turbo..." 4TGEN

Last edited by McFly; 01-27-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #4

OMG i wish they had the thing mazda has to check your 0-60. Is that mazda... not sure too much vodka> FLESH PLEASE VERIFY. off to cod4 multi
Old 01-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Master Member #518

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly View Post
Don't know. It's been said that the US version will come with the ability to turn them off.

Previously, I kept on seeing these dyno's, and kept thinking it HAS to be a reflash. You can't just gain 25hp any other way that I know.

But, it may indeed be that the ECU limiters are working in such a way that they have the coils or injectors working in such a way that in order to allow an interval of cutting the fuel/spark they had to run them at a partial mode. This way they could get the ECU to come in and give the traction/stability control necessary. It would mean that Hyundai sort of cheaped out on the Traction/Stability Control systems... but, that would also mean that the engine has more power than the ratings are giving.

So, when the systems are engaged you have the factory rating... But, once off, you have full power, that was not rated, 25whp more!!!

So, essentially, the GenCoupe V6 has more power to the wheels stock than the 370Z. In more words, THE GENCOUPE V6 IS UNDERRATED, HURRAY!!!
This is all my assumption of course. It could indeed be a reflash, but I'm leaning towards an on/off defeat. Looks promising.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
Top Gear FTW

wuts the hp when ECU and traction control were on the whole time...i dont think ppl will always turn it off whenever they start the car and commute....
think-about-it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
Master Member #518

I'm getting very excited. Please comment.

I'm looking at what premium fuel did and what simply turning of the traction/stability control will do. Those two combined alone, may give it 35whp. That would translate to roughly 350hp. With that much power, and no mods done what-so-ever, the V6 may indeed be faster than the 370 right out of the box. Power to weight ratio puts the GenCoupe on par or better at that point. It will be a dead heat.

I'm psyched!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #8

i would. a couple months ago my sensors wouldnt let me go past 5000 after about 15 min after resting codes. so every time i drove the car i reset the codes to get 15 min of joy
Old 01-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Master Member #518

Quote:
Originally Posted by think-about-it View Post
wuts the hp when ECU and traction control were on the whole time...i dont think ppl will always turn it off whenever they start the car and commute....
dyno graph says 249.98whp, which sounds about right on a dynojet for a 306hp rating. Commute, leave it off. When you need a little more power and you've learned the power/traction potential then turn it off, and away you go.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
His Majesty the King

Quote:

yup...and this is one more dyno on top of the ones we already have to prove it....and to prove the 300 whp with I/E is achievable...so those few guys who we kept telling that to recently who wouldn't use search....here ya go.

NOW
2005 Tiburon SEV6 - built, boosted, blown (only once though, and I fixed it) NGM Turbo, Mussa Dual, +a whole lotta goodies
2005 Tiburon GTV6 (STi Blue) Fully Built, NGM Assassin MP90 Supercharger pushing 10psi, all supporting mods, etc.
2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R - Full akra exhaust, BMC filter, PC3 USB, -1/+2, jumper mod, Power 2CTs,
0-60 in...faster than u.
FRCDAIR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
His Majesty the King

Quote:
I'm getting very excited. Please comment.

I'm looking at what premium fuel did and what simply turning of the traction/stability control will do. Those two combined alone, may give it 35whp. That would translate to roughly 350hp. With that much power, and no mods done what-so-ever, the V6 may indeed be faster than the 370 right out of the box. Power to weight ratio puts the GenCoupe on par or better at that point. It will be a dead heat.

I'm psyched!
well I am just glad it will take the G37 out of the box...that was the main competition....370 is icing on the cake....now to see what mods we need to kill the new maro V8s

NOW
2005 Tiburon SEV6 - built, boosted, blown (only once though, and I fixed it) NGM Turbo, Mussa Dual, +a whole lotta goodies
2005 Tiburon GTV6 (STi Blue) Fully Built, NGM Assassin MP90 Supercharger pushing 10psi, all supporting mods, etc.
2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R - Full akra exhaust, BMC filter, PC3 USB, -1/+2, jumper mod, Power 2CTs,
0-60 in...faster than u.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #12
All-Star Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRCDAIR View Post
well I am just glad it will take the G37 out of the box...that was the main competition....370 is icing on the cake....now to see what mods we need to kill the new maro V8s
No, leave the V8 maros alone

I can actually hear the G37 owners grumbling that it's still a pos Hyundai.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #13
His Majesty the King

oh they will....the grumbling is what makes it fun...that is why i am on my 3rd hyundai already....it is the best part....you beat anything....ANYTHING and they are like crap...got beat by a hyundai (you know their friends will never let that die) but if you ever lose...so ****ing what....a BMW or a Vette took a hyundai tiburon (well right now that is what it is)....not that they ever win anymore...but...hmph

Oh no...the V8 is gonna bend over sooner or later

NOW
0-60 in...faster than u.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #14
Master Member #518

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSeoul View Post
No, leave the V8 maros alone

I can actually hear the G37 owners grumbling that it's still a pos Hyundai.
Just like when my pos honda takes stock G37 Coupes all day long (from a roll, from a roll, please).

Ohh, I'm even more excited now to find out that the GenCoupe will actually be faster than my current car. With 350hp from the factory, that will do it. The 306 or whatever wasn't going to be enough.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #15
His Majesty the King

Quote:
Just like when my pos honda takes stock G37 Coupes all day long (from a roll, from a roll, please).

Ohh, I'm even more excited now to find out that the GenCoupe will actually be faster than my current car. With 350hp from the factory, that will do it. The 306 or whatever wasn't going to be enough.
lol....Don't forget I/E you know you will have um quick so just include it...

NOW
0-60 in...faster than u.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #16
Master Member #518

Quote:
I would say, intake+exhaust+headers, and throw in rear end gears (final drive) for safe measure.

I've done some calculations on the gearing, and final drive, and have found that a lower ratio final drive will make the car even faster 0-60 and in the 1/4mile. The 3.538 ratio is stock, and a 4.1 ratio would work better. It will put 4th gear to top out at about 112 (instead of 130), and 2nd gear to top out right at 60 (instead of 69). This is with shifting at 7400RPMs.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #17
His Majesty the King

Ran some numbers...

with the switches off....the car is making 270.83 wheel hp (first graph)...if hyundais 306 were true that would mean that this RWD drivetrain had only an 11.49% loss between crank and tires...which is just not at all likely.

For those who don't know a stock tib V6 close to 20%. 17 somehting for the manuals and a little over 20 for the auto.

NOW
0-60 in...faster than u.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:47 PM   #18
Master Member #518

Did you read my posts? 249.98whp (technically 249.98wPS which is off by about 2% maybe) is the stock 306 rating. Here, read again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly
If you do a reverse calculation for loss, and say that 306hp at the flywheel equates to 250whp, then you can say that the dyno is reading at 18.4% lower than at the power at the flywheel is suppose to make. Or, in other words 18.4% loss, which is inline to what cars usually have a loss at on a dynojet. My current FWD car lost 17.5% as an example. So, if you increase the power at the wheels from 250whp to 297.5whp, then essential you went from a car that makes 306hp flywheel to 364hp flywheel.

So, we now have a 364hp car with intake+exhaust+premium fuel.

THAT'S AMAZING! Take that 370Z! Let me see you make another 30whp to compete! For less money, I don't think so!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 PM   #19
His Majesty the King

Of course I read it...I didn't do the same calculation...and you really should convert it first...but you are excited so i forgive you...lol...here...sorry for the repeat of some of your stuff i just posted this and the dynos on NGM...

Quote:
so total whp on in the last graph with I/E premium fuel is 293.46 whp.

figuring a standard drivetrain loss seen on a dynojet(with stock drivetrain of course)....say 17.5% that would mean the car is making 344.82 crank hp with only I/E, premium, and the cars electronic safety controls turned off (which we get a switch for stock)

Note the car looks to have the rev limiter raised as well, however the peak power is being made below stock redline.

NOW
0-60 in...faster than u.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #20
Master Member #518

Quote:
Ran some numbers...

with the switches off....the car is making 270.83 wheel hp (first graph)...if hyundais 306 were true that would mean that this RWD drivetrain had only an 11.49% loss between crank and tires...which is just not at all likely.

For those who don't know a stock tib V6 close to 20%. 17 somehting for the manuals and a little over 20 for the auto.
Exactly my point. The only thing you could say against my argument that it makes 364hp with so little, is that the factory 306hp rating is with the traction/stability control off already, and it put down 275whp for the 306hp rating. If that was so, then it would have lost only 11%, which as you stated is not possible. That, or it was a different car that was on the dyno that made 249.98whp. lol.

All that is left to know is the question of HOW DID THEY GET THE "Drag and drift limiter taken off?"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.