Totally disabling the ESC 100% - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 09-10-2011, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Totally disabling the ESC 100%

I've read multiple threads on here regarding disabling the ESC (also stated in some threads as the TCS). Some folks say tapping the ESC button w/ a manual switch, the ESC still remains "active" and I've also read where holding the ESC button for 7 secs or so supposedly disables it, but not 100% either.

Reading through the Genesis forum below, I came across the thread linked below where the V8 Genny guys have figured out how to totally disable the ESC 100% and they are able to roast their tires off the rims.... LMAO

So, if this is "old news", sorry. If it's "new" news, the disable technique may be the same for the GC's as well. Post up your results... and if you have successfully disabled your ESC (TCS) 100%, did you use the method outlined in the thread (post # 4) or?

Turning ESC off ...for real...With Video Proof!! - Hyundai Genesis Forum

- Phil
1994 Cobra coupe #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe, 2011 Tucson GLS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-10-2011, 09:49 PM
I reject to reality

I'm not so sure this applies to the gencoupe. It is my understanding that the genesis coupe is one of the few cars that completely disengages the esc upon pressing the button.

I for one have never had any interference from the esc when i turned it off manually.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

BUY MY AUDIO EQUIPMENT HERE

http://www.gencoupe.com/private-classifieds-interior/129126-fs-alpine-pdx4-100-zapco-dc650-drc-remote-control.html
#3 Old 09-10-2011, 11:26 PM

I don't see the point in this thread.

we don't drive sedans.

and it is off when you press the ESC. the dumb techs in the forum were saying that the it wasn't fully disabled because they were going off the info that they were trained on, for the freakin SEDAN.

If anybody doesn't believe me, drive it with the ESC off, then take out the ABS fuse and see if it drive any different.
#4 Old 09-10-2011, 11:33 PM
GCMafia

Garage

+1 to what AKGC said! when i turn the TCS off my car its off! i almost killed myself once cuz i forgot i turned it off! lol

PERFORMANCE
ARK - Tomei Ti - P2R - Grimmspeed - NST - TWM - TiC - AEM - BC RACING - QUAIFE - WHITELINE - CP-E - MEGAN RACING - MISHIMOTO - KHAR
LOOKS
Flossy - ARK - Sequence - Fly Ride - FIVE:AD S5:F - Enkei RPF1
19x9.5+25f-245/35 19x10.5+22r-275/35
18x9.5 +15 265/35 All Around

NSFW!
#5 Old 09-11-2011, 06:29 AM

Talking

lies. push the button and pop that clutch, i promise u WILL b sideways 100 percent.

drive aggresively, not dangerously.
#6 Old 09-11-2011, 06:59 AM
Feelin' fine.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have to also agree. I went sideways at the track with the TCS OFF and it never cut power, nor was power ever cut at any point during my track time.
#7 Old 09-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Herpes Free!

You guys obviously have not tried to do a burnout. Turn it off, pop the clutch, press the brake, see what happens. Unless you have the tune that completely turns it off, it will NOT let you.

Join our page if you live in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, or Mississippi and wanna be apart of the largest meet on the gulf coast

www.facebook.com/groups/gulfcoastautowerks

www.chapter11bk.com
#8 Old 09-11-2011, 09:33 AM
I reject to reality

+1 to everyone that said it's off completely with one push.

BUY MY AUDIO EQUIPMENT HERE

http://www.gencoupe.com/private-classifieds-interior/129126-fs-alpine-pdx4-100-zapco-dc650-drc-remote-control.html
#9 Old 09-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Noob

Two different things:

It turns traction control off. You can roast the tires.

Stability control is still on. The tail slides out, and the electro nannies intervene. It's not fully turned off.
#10 Old 09-11-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo98 View Post
You guys obviously have not tried to do a burnout. Turn it off, pop the clutch, press the brake, see what happens. Unless you have the tune that completely turns it off, it will NOT let you.
Ive done that in both a 2010 R-Spec 2.0T and a 2012 R-Spec 3.8 and in both cases the rear wheels spun quite nicely.

2012 Black R-Spec 3.8!
#11 Old 09-11-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline View Post
Two different things:

It turns traction control off. You can roast the tires.

Stability control is still on. The tail slides out, and the electro nannies intervene. It's not fully turned off.
Ive had the back of my car slide out from under me with no intervention.

2012 Black R-Spec 3.8!
#12 Old 09-11-2011, 03:02 PM
DEWAT

Mine will even turn the tires over with traction control on... until the little yellow light flashes!

3.8 R-SPEC
Interlagos Yellow
TWM STS
Phantom Shift knob
Agency Power CBE
#13 Old 09-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen View Post
Ive had the back of my car slide out from under me with no intervention.
How much opposite lock did you have to dial in? Probably not much.

It will only allow a little bit of slide. After you hit the (low) threshold, it's fun over.

There is a trick to it, though. If the rear wheels are already spinning, then you get it sideways, it will let you go. But if the rear wheels aren't yet spinning and you get it sideways, then ESC kicks in. Just something I've noticed.
#14 Old 09-11-2011, 03:07 PM

Yeah... people don't seem to get this ....

When you press the button to disable trac control, it is NOT fully 100% disabled, as in the car will no longer do any automated things to control the situation you're in. It will, however, do a whole lot LESS.

If you read back through old posts here (early to mid 2009 time-frame), when people first got these cars and started experimenting -- you'll see there were individuals who had problems doing auto-x courses or drifting because the trac control wasn't 100% disabled with the button.

There were some rumors that by holding it down for 7-10 seconds when starting the car, you could put it in fully disabled mode. And honestly, I don't know if this was ever really confirmed or denied? But the solution that DID work for these people involved pulling out the trac fuse. Unfortunately, that also generates a fault light on your dash / trouble code.

The tune that BloodType Racing offered recently is supposed to FULLY disable the trac control whenever the button is pressed to disable it, and other custom tunes may/may not offer this as well.
#15 Old 09-11-2011, 05:15 PM

uhh i did a donut by just pressing the button

no secret there...
#16 Old 09-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Herpes Free!

Someone make a video for me to see.

Join our page if you live in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, or Mississippi and wanna be apart of the largest meet on the gulf coast

www.chapter11bk.com
#17 Old 09-11-2011, 06:09 PM

first, read how the ESC and stability control, controls traction.

there is NO electronic diff. so it can't vector torque to either wheels to keep stability.
how else would it do it? by applying the BRAKES to individual wheels.
Second thing it does, is lower throttle.

Now ask yourself, does the car lower throttle and/or apply brakes at any point, when ESC is off?

holding the brake and doing a standing burnout, while keeping the wheel straight, or turning the wheel to start doing donuts, it does no intervention. doing it in the winter time, its even more apparent that its off.
#18 Old 09-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Short Bus Driver

In my experience (2010 3.8 track manual) once the ESC is disabled via the button, there is either no electronic intervention or so little that empirical measurement would be require to convince me. Once the system is disabled I'm able to spin the tires freely from a launch or to slide the car sideways without any noticeable reaction or intervention by the vehicle's systems. If ESC retains any functionality at that point I can't see it having any negative affect on car control.
#19 Old 09-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Out Pissing Off cops!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
first, read how the ESC and stability control, controls traction.

there is NO electronic diff. so it can't vector torque to either wheels to keep stability.
how else would it do it? by applying the BRAKES to individual wheels.
Second thing it does, is lower throttle.

Now ask yourself, does the car lower throttle and/or apply brakes at any point, when ESC is off?

holding the brake and doing a standing burnout, while keeping the wheel straight, or turning the wheel to start doing donuts, it does no intervention. doing it in the winter time, its even more apparent that its off.
I can confirm this too...The GC is my first RWD car, got it 2 months before it's first winter, that time I let the TC on most of the winter out of fear/lack of experience with a RWD.

Last winter was a whole other thing. BR Stage 2 tune going full boost with no TC off MOST OF WINTER (In -25*C weather, a turbo car pulls a hellova lot more than in +25*C weather, so you know..ROFL). Best learning experience ever. I'm completely serious too.

We get shiitty winters not unlike what AKGC might see, and i can tell you that on my 2.0T 6/MT Track, when the TC is off, it's off.

Be it when applying brakes going sideways or not, only thing the car will do is cycle the ABS when you're on the brakes and that's it.

In fact I'm pretty sure you could be gliding on your roof and the thing would still only cycle the Brakes trying to regain traction...LOL

But I do remember reading about the TCS not being 100% off on the Auto equipped cars, but I can't remember in which thread I read that though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd82187 View Post
But from the very biased opinion of a pissed off owner, SPEC can lick my balls...
2010 2.0T GT Genesis Coupe
|Beyond Redline-Stage 3|
|MXP|HSD|Varrstoen|G&M|MAP|DEI|GrimmSpeed|VIS|
wHP/Tq-TBD-Mustang Dyno

Last edited by Mcmonopoly; 09-11-2011 at 08:11 PM.
#20 Old 09-12-2011, 02:38 AM
Herpes Free!

He's not saying it doesn't spin the tires, he's saying it's not 100% off. Unless the 4 cars I have tried this on happen to have some fluke with the traction control, you cannot do a burnout, period. If you are at the strip and in the water box, turn it off, pop the clutch, depress the brake, and attempt to heat the tire up without letting off the brakes, it will NOT let you. My car, 2 others like it, and a 3.8 auto all have the same outcome...

www.chapter11bk.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page