I'm sure most of us are aware of the drive-line lash is one of the weakness/annoying issue of our Gencoupe. The tofu soft engine mount, transmission mount, soft driveshaft crush drives, as well as differential mount all need some reinforcement.
makes a good polyurethane engine mount set that eliminate lots of necessary engine rocking movment; ThrowDown sells the Torque Solution differential bushing kit
as well that fills up the "missing" diff mount on the subframe; I figure, those 2 items mentioned above probably cure the below par Hyundai driveline, but I decided there could be one item left to be improve.
Take a look at this video, this is how our manual transmission mount looks like, a big void in the middle and it's very soft. Good for NVH, but it doesn't seem to support the tail end of the transmission very well.
This is basically what I did, raise up the car, makes sure it's secure. Support the transimission, if you work on the floor, just put a floor jack underneath it and pickup the tranny a little bit, just to unload the tranny cross member.
Total 8 fasteners, four main bolts, two smaller bolts and 2 hex nuts.
Take it out, clean it thoroughly with brake cleaner, and this is what you will need. 3M window urethane, part number 08609
, it's about $19 from most autopart store. Working area, ductape, and caulk gun.
According to 3M MSDS, once the urethane cure, it will have durometer of 60shore
, pretty stiff, but not quiet hardcore like the 90shore+ race engine mount, so it shouldn't transmit a lot of unwanted vibration.
clean up the mount very well, and tape off one end, so urethane won't flow out.
Take your time and slowly squeeze/pour the urethane into the void of the mount, try not to trap air bubble in there. Once it's full, spread it with some old plastic card and make it look nice.
The instruction said gives around 24 hours to cure in room temperature (60+F), but I guess I packed almost over half a tube into this mount, with limited surface area, it didn't really dry until 72 hours, so plan accordingly.
I didn't take any video after it cued, I was ready to use the car and tired of riding the motorcycle in the cold. But the damn thing stiffen up a lot, and it transit more feedback in between shift once the clutch is engage.
For $19 it's not bad at all, it was kinda fun. Just to remind you the weakest link is still the engine mount, by doing this mod alone will not cure the excessive engine rocking movement. But since no one makes aftermarket tranny mount, it is probably a good idea to make one yourself.