Clear Coating Over Plasti-dipped Rims - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 11-16-2011, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Clear Coating Over Plasti-dipped Rims

Ok so today I'm plasti-dipping my rims and I want it to stand up to winter's conditions. I have a lot of clear coat from when I painted my calipers so I figured I'll just reuse it. Will spraying this clear coast on the rims still allow me to peel off the plasti-dip at a laster time? Logically, the answer would be yes because the plasti-dip is the only thing touching the rims but I wasn't sure if clear coat would change the dip's properties or anything. I had read about this happening to some poeple on other car forums. I don't know, not a chem major. Thanks

Here's the link to the clear coat:
Amazon.com: Dupli-Color DE1602 Ceramic Universal White Engine Paint - 12 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Dupli-Color DE1602 Ceramic Universal White Engine Paint - 12 oz.: Automotive
Amazon (Links)Amazon (Links)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-16-2011, 12:10 PM

Garage

I used a matte clear and did about 2 coats. I had to peel a wheel and redo it and I had no issues

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App
#3 Old 11-17-2011, 04:32 AM

good to know^ i always thought a clear coat over the plastidip would mess it up.
#4 Old 11-18-2011, 04:36 AM

Im having this same issue, but instead of clear coat i wanted to paint over the Plasti Dip with a higher quality spray paint...does anyone think it will mess up the peeling process?? i need it all to come off later just in case!!
#5 Old 11-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGT View Post
I used a matte clear and did about 2 coats. I had to peel a wheel and redo it and I had no issues

Which matte clear did you use specifically??
#6 Old 11-21-2011, 12:03 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetAddicted View Post
Which matte clear did you use specifically??
Think it was a rustoleom brand. It's was right next to the plastidip at menards

#7 Old 12-02-2011, 05:42 PM

look for upol clear coat. its expensive but works hella better than one ur about to use.

2012 BB 2.0T R-SPEC
#8 Old 12-03-2011, 06:41 AM

how did the rims come out with the plasti dip, i wanna do it but am skeptical
how many layers did you put on the rims also

drive fast, take chances.

2011 genesis coupe 3.8 rspec black >:]
*BTRcc custom tune
*injen cold air intake
*injen ses catback
*tbc bypass

-Sarona Design Front Grill
-Sequence Foglight Inserts
#9 Old 12-03-2011, 09:42 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)

KDM, kinda late there but thanks. j3, it came out ok. I did 4 coats and it looks great from >6 feet away. The closer you get, the more see my mistakes of missing certain parts of the rim (inbetween the spokes). But, I'm going to take it off and redo it in april or may. It's a learning experience sorta thing...might as well give it a shot.
#10 Old 12-04-2011, 02:39 PM

thanks good to know
its more of a matte finish too right?
and have you had any nicks in the dip yet

drive fast, take chances.

2011 genesis coupe 3.8 rspec black >:]
*BTRcc custom tune
*injen cold air intake
*injen ses catback
*tbc bypass

-Sarona Design Front Grill
-Sequence Foglight Inserts
#11 Old 12-04-2011, 02:42 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Yeah, matte finish. 2 days after I did it I was on the highway going 70mph and a HUGE tumbleweed comes out infront of me (I live in NM). I try to avoid it but it ends up hitting my front left corner so a part of the rim got nicked up a little. Other than that, no. Plasti-dip is durable.
#12 Old 12-04-2011, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

good luck, hope you don't get bead leaks in the future
#13 Old 12-16-2011, 10:58 PM
JK-DM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sNaK3 View Post
Im having this same issue, but instead of clear coat i wanted to paint over the Plasti Dip with a higher quality spray paint...does anyone think it will mess up the peeling process?? i need it all to come off later just in case!!
Yes, it will mess up the peeling process!! Long story short, car wash rubbed my rim on railing, peeled edge of rim. I'm having a very hard time removing the plastidip/duplicolor combo off the rim. It's breaking off into small pieces and basically has to be chiseled off with a razor blade, thus scratching the original rim in the process. I'm very disappointed.

FYI: I used 2 heavy coats of plastidip, 3 coats of duplicolor, and 2 coats of sealer.

My Current Build Thread
http://www.gencoupe.com/media/104664-nellyville41s-jk-dm-current-build-thread-pic-heavy.html
#14 Old 12-22-2011, 08:52 PM
I reject to reality

thanks for that info. been thinking of doing this myself, but i think ill stick with just plastidip.

BUY MY AUDIO EQUIPMENT HERE

http://www.gencoupe.com/private-classifieds-interior/129126-fs-alpine-pdx4-100-zapco-dc650-drc-remote-control.html
#15 Old 12-22-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellyville41 View Post
Yes, it will mess up the peeling process!! Long story short, car wash rubbed my rim on railing, peeled edge of rim. I'm having a very hard time removing the plastidip/duplicolor combo off the rim. It's breaking off into small pieces and basically has to be chiseled off with a razor blade, thus scratching the original rim in the process. I'm very disappointed.

FYI: I used 2 heavy coats of plastidip, 3 coats of duplicolor, and 2 coats of sealer.
I don't know your process of removing it, but it will naturally come off in tiny pieces in somewhat cold weather. I would try using a heat gun or even a hair dryer. That's how I got mine off, it came off fairly easily and I had 2 coats of clear coat over mine. But yes, it took little longer with the clear coat, but with the heat gun it wasn't too bad.
#16 Old 01-04-2012, 08:52 AM
FreeStyle Fabrications

you used them in that order right? pastidip, duplicolor, and then sealer? what kind of sealer
the other thing i would have tried was going to a carwash with a good high pressured hot pressure washer, and go to town. id never have tried to use a razor blade on it

Jeremiah
2010 3.8 Genesis Coupe|
15% Tint
Debadged except VIP Rear Badge
Seibon SC CF Hood
LaminX Carbon Taillight Tint
Alpine Audio Install including:
2 12" subs, 3 amps, and trunk lid mounted 6.5"s in a custom fiberglass box
Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
AEM Intake
LaminX Carbon Fog Tint
RMR Grille
RMR Snorkel
RMR Lip
RMR Fog Light Bezels
RMR Skirts
RMR Diffuser
20" Work Varianza T1S. 9.5F +15, 10.5R +10
BC Racing Coilovers
Next? Rotors... Paint?

www.FOTOmotiveSD.com
#17 Old 01-04-2012, 03:46 PM
JK-DM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbrandt View Post
I don't know your process of removing it, but it will naturally come off in tiny pieces in somewhat cold weather. I would try using a heat gun or even a hair dryer. That's how I got mine off, it came off fairly easily and I had 2 coats of clear coat over mine. But yes, it took little longer with the clear coat, but with the heat gun it wasn't too bad.
I think it was in ok weather. Not too cold. Was around 65 or so degrees when I was trying to remove it. Didn't think to heat it up and try peeling. I'll keep that in mind in case this instance ever comes my way again. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStyle View Post
you used them in that order right? pastidip, duplicolor, and then sealer? what kind of sealer
the other thing i would have tried was going to a carwash with a good high pressured hot pressure washer, and go to town. id never have tried to use a razor blade on it
Yeah, that was the order I went. The sealer was the Duplicolor Clear Coat Sealer. I don't know if the high powered washer would of done anything. It was stuck on there pretty tight.

My Current Build Thread
http://www.gencoupe.com/media/104664-nellyville41s-jk-dm-current-build-thread-pic-heavy.html
#18 Old 02-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellyville41 View Post

Wow thanks. Wish I could of seen this sooner. I used 2 coats of plastidip, a couple of white(then green later on) and some clear coats. I messed up on a rim and it did not peel easily. Between me and a friend we "rubbed it off" Rubbing with your fingers back and forth works extremely well while utilizing a heat gun temporarily before running it and while. But you will get blisters from rubbing. Ask a friend or two to help you peel the rim in the same fashion it helps so much! Also using goobegone wipes with force will thin out the paint/dip mix and make it easier!! Ad the more Plastidip base coat the better.
#19 Old 02-01-2012, 08:18 PM

plasti dip makes its own clear coat for that its called glossifier. http://www.dipyourcar.com/ has all the tutorials on how to plasti dip anything.
#20 Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 AM

Garage

I bought the plasti-dip wheel kit, which comes with the cans of base coat, the actual color, and a gloss top coat. Doing it today- post pictures after!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page