2.0 vs 3.8 - Why the 2.0 is getting all the love - Hyundai Genesis Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mercinary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Outside Boston
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2.0 vs 3.8 - Why the 2.0 is getting all the love

Can anyone explain why the aftermarket world is catering to 2.0 owners? Is it because the 2.0 is more affordable?

I figure this question has been asked, but I'm having trouble finding the answer via search.

-Merc
mercinary is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 06:25 AM
I drive a V6
 
2.0TGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,978
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

because its a hell of a lot easier to get more HP out of a turbo than a NA.

2010 3.8
Bilstein PSS Coilovers
Eibach sways bars
Braelin BR02 19"
Solo Performance exhaust
2.0TGT is offline  
post #3 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 06:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Genesis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton Alberta Area
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

And they need to do that because they dont have the HP out of the box like the 3.8. Thats why I went with the V6, dont need to start dropping cash right away. I drove both, and I knew that the price difference wasnt enough for me not go with the V6. I was satisfied withthe performance of the V6, where I wasnt with the Turbo, and would have started to spend $$ on mods right from day 1.

Be patient, here in Alberta, Ive seen and talked to more 3.8 owners, its just a matter of time for the aftermarket gets there.

My name is MAYHEM...mentaly comprimised and emotionaly disturbed = total chaos
Genesis1 is offline  
post #4 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mercinary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Outside Boston
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Good answer Genesis1. Thanks!

-Merc
mercinary is offline  
post #5 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 06:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Galbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not again...

Quote:
The Pony is now a horse
Galbi is offline  
post #6 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
 
AKGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,388
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)

one word... MAF.

Because of the way that the 3.8 needs to be tuned, and that fact that the 3.8 ecu is a delfi unit.

the 2.0t is a seimens IIRC. and a kin to the tiburon. So there's already been experience in dealing with the software and parameters.

Just give it time. With the way the intake plenum is setup. I can see there being an aftermarket blower in the near future.
AKGC is offline  
post #7 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Genesis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton Alberta Area
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

uuuuuuuuugggggggoooooohhhhhh.

Need another hanki......mmmmmmsupercharger...

Anyone playn with the idea of a 50 or 100 shot of NOS??

My name is MAYHEM...mentaly comprimised and emotionaly disturbed = total chaos
Genesis1 is offline  
post #8 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Senior Member
 
JoelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Val-d'Or, Qc, Canada
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In my case: Simply because I like turbocharged 4 cylinders.

But I didn't know the 2.0 is getting all the love.

Joel
Before: Genesis coupe 2.0T GT silverstone 2010
Now: Dodge Challenger R/T Classic 2011
JoelB is offline  
post #9 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 7,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis1 View Post
uuuuuuuuugggggggoooooohhhhhh.

Need another hanki......mmmmmmsupercharger...

Anyone playn with the idea of a 50 or 100 shot of NOS??
If you exceed ~75 shot of NITROUS OXIDE on a stock motor, not 'naaaws!', you will most assuredly promote rapid disassembly of your engine, as did many a Tiburon driver back in the day with their aluminum V6s.

The reason is because the turbo motor offers lighter weight with greater and more affordable scalability. For example, with just some software tweaking, the Theta II car is all but caught up to the Lambda car in terms of acceleration and top speed.

From there, the Theta II offers a very easily tweakable machine which you can take anywhere you want, quickly and easily. Ergo, you don't have to deal with two separate valvetrain sets, two sets of headers, four cams, etc so on and so forth.

The morale of the story is that if you want a relatively high HP car out of the box and you have no intention (or wherewithall) to modify it, buy the Lambda car.

If you are a crack addict like me and cannot keep yourself away from the engine bay and under the car, you need to buy the turbo.

The Theta II car offers a superior power to weight ratio the moment you begin tweaking the software. This is by far not the first car to see this sort of aftermarket treatment or even race track treatment.

Take for instance Castrol Tom's Mark IV Supra. Amazingly enough, this car pulled the legendary and much-mythologized 2JZ80A motor and replaced it with the MA70's four cylinder turbo motor.

The rationale? Lighter weight, same/roughly same power, better balance, everyone is happy.

If you are into the primal hobby of American Drag Racing however, there is no replacement for displacement, and you are best off buying the Lambda car.
Quartermaster is offline  
post #10 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post
Not again...
My thoughts exactly

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII
2002 Acura RSX-S supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermaster View Post
The value to this car is that it is to the tuner culture what a nice, pure rock of crack cocaine is to a street freak in Los Angeles.
EsQuire is offline  
post #11 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

THE BIGGEST REASON THE 2.0 IS RECEIVING MORE R&D IS BECAUSE IT IS CHEAPER AND THEREFORE THE MORE COMMONLY OWNED MODEL

The car has a familiar system for everyone to play with.

All this nonsense about a "tuner car" and all that is just sillyness
The genesis coupes handling has already been shown to be incredibly sub par for what it is supposed to be. "beter balance" "better power to weight" all of that is a joke for this car.
learn2tarbo is offline  
post #12 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Gooood! GOOOOOD!
 
BAMATuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 6,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermaster View Post
If you exceed ~75 shot of NITROUS OXIDE on a stock motor, not 'naaaws!', you will most assuredly promote rapid disassembly of your engine, as did many a Tiburon driver back in the day with their aluminum V6s.
You can't really put a "safe" shot solenoid number limit on the car until you have a wideband that tells you what the AFR is.

By the way, NOS is a BRAND. You don't spray a brand into your motor. You spray N2O, (nitrous oxide).

-=The FIRST 6.2L LS POWERED Genesis Coupe=-

FOR SALE @ $27,000 OBO. AutoTrader Car ID is AT-16EB2E33

*New Video* http://youtu.be/RsOAb-vm7SM

Thanks for the great support and don't forget to subscribe and stay up to date on both YouTube and GenCoupe.com's media section!!
BAMATuner is offline  
post #13 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
renzo088's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2tarbo View Post
THE BIGGEST REASON THE 2.0 IS RECEIVING MORE R&D IS BECAUSE IT IS CHEAPER AND THEREFORE THE MORE COMMONLY OWNED MODEL

The car has a familiar system for everyone to play with.

All this nonsense about a "tuner car" and all that is just sillyness
The genesis coupes handling has already been shown to be incredibly sub par for what it is supposed to be. "beter balance" "better power to weight" all of that is a joke for this car.
I agree...its boils down to how much money a vendor is willing to invest and how much they see profiting from it. right now the Turbo is their bread and butter model to rake in the most profits. The 3.8 is going to require more R&D which drives up cost to the consumer, to price levels they probably wont bother to pay

However i disagree on the "tuner car" portion you mentioned. Hyundai marketed the 3.8 as a vehicle for people who are
a) looking for different options from your 335, G37's..etc.

b) those who don't plan to really mod their cars.

This is Pretty evident to me by through the 3.8 GT model getting the "luxurious" brown seating environment and Chrome Whiskers, LED turn Signals, Heated Seats. Properties of cars that many ppl don't mod heavily.

Whether you agree or not. The 2.0t is a "tuners car" (used vaguely...since anyone can classify a car they work on as a tuner) This can be evident through the 2.0t track only coming in a manual and with Hyundai including an r-spec model...whereas the 3.8 can be had with an auto or manual, but isn't coming with an r-spec.....Two entirely different markets IMO.
renzo088 is offline  
post #14 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
 
AKGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,388
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
You can't really put a "safe" shot solenoid number limit on the car until you have a wideband that tells you what the AFR is.

By the way, NOS is a BRAND. You don't spray a brand into your motor. You spray N2O, (nitrous oxide).
Let me direct you to this humorous thread hahahaha

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570
AKGC is offline  
post #15 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
Let me direct you to this humorous thread hahahaha

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570


Whoever did that better check to ensure his parents aren't brother and sister

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII
2002 Acura RSX-S supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermaster View Post
The value to this car is that it is to the tuner culture what a nice, pure rock of crack cocaine is to a street freak in Los Angeles.
EsQuire is offline  
post #16 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 7,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2tarbo View Post
All this nonsense about a "tuner car" and all that is just sillyness
The genesis coupes handling has already been shown to be incredibly sub par for what it is supposed to be. "beter balance" "better power to weight" all of that is a joke for this car.
Really?

55/45 weight distribution and 0.91g skid pad from the factory is sub par. The BK's handling is a joke, you say.

Here are other cars within spitting distance (or better) of your sub par car -

Porsche 911 Turbo: 0.96g
Nissan 350z: 0.93g
Ford Mustang GT: 0.87
Infiniti G37: .87 (that seems kinda low but it's a published number?)


And I'm currently dynoing 112whp / litre out of my little cheapass 2.0L turbo with just software.

Quartermaster is offline  
post #17 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Gooood! GOOOOOD!
 
BAMATuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 6,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
Let me direct you to this humorous thread hahahaha

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570
That was too funny! Can we say, "Rock with lips?"

-=The FIRST 6.2L LS POWERED Genesis Coupe=-

FOR SALE @ $27,000 OBO. AutoTrader Car ID is AT-16EB2E33

*New Video* http://youtu.be/RsOAb-vm7SM

Thanks for the great support and don't forget to subscribe and stay up to date on both YouTube and GenCoupe.com's media section!!
BAMATuner is offline  
post #18 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Gooood! GOOOOOD!
 
BAMATuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 6,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage

Quartermaster, learn2tarbo is a firestarter. Just ignore him/her.

-=The FIRST 6.2L LS POWERED Genesis Coupe=-

FOR SALE @ $27,000 OBO. AutoTrader Car ID is AT-16EB2E33

*New Video* http://youtu.be/RsOAb-vm7SM

Thanks for the great support and don't forget to subscribe and stay up to date on both YouTube and GenCoupe.com's media section!!
BAMATuner is offline  
post #19 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermaster View Post
And I'm currently dynoing 112whp / litre out of my little cheapass 2.0L turbo with just software.
Teach me!
mx_stiles13 is offline  
post #20 of 117 Old 08-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Senior Member
 
renzo088's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
Teach me!
Two Words:

PowerAxel Reflash

Its Like crack....for your motor
renzo088 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome