LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 04-05-2009, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Ms. Warranty Voider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
How to program Homelink with no transmitter?

Is there any way to program home link without a transmitter that opens the garage door?

We totaled a car last year and the transmitter for our garage was in it when the car was towed to the junkyard.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-05-2009, 03:16 PM

I think your going to need one . they work on lights in the house also i heard.
post #3 of 24 Old 04-05-2009, 03:20 PM

Yeah, I'm afraid your going to need the transmitter. Call the maker and see if they can get a replacement transmitter. Or buy one at a home depot if they have the same model as yours. Good luck!

Quote:
The Pony is now a horse
post #4 of 24 Old 04-05-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Ms. Warranty Voider

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Thanks. I was hoping I wouldn't need one. My hubby and I are just useless when it comes to fixit stuff around the house.

Peeking at it I just realized it's a craftsman. I work for corporate sears so I'm hoping I can just find one in the sample store at work for a few dollars.

post #5 of 24 Old 04-05-2009, 10:58 PM

Another thing to consider, if you have the keypad on the outside of your garage door and it isn't hard wired then it is just a wireless transmitter like the one you keep in your car. It might work to program the homelink. Something to think about.
post #6 of 24 Old 04-06-2009, 07:53 AM

You can do it without the transmitter. It's in the manual. If your garage door opener has a learn button on it. The button is usually on the opener itself. Mine was under the plastic light shade thing. Read the whole Homelink section in the manual and you'll see what I'm talking about. All you have to do is press the learn button on the opener and then hold down the homelink button for a few seconds and you're good.

THEN: 2004 Tiburon GTV6

NOW: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track 6MT
Very first Track on GenCoupe Forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orenj9 View Post
Butt-puckering moments are the reason to drive sports cars .
post #7 of 24 Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi View Post
You can do it without the transmitter. It's in the manual. If your garage door opener has a learn button on it. The button is usually on the opener itself. Mine was under the plastic light shade thing. Read the whole Homelink section in the manual and you'll see what I'm talking about. All you have to do is press the learn button on the opener and then hold down the homelink button for a few seconds and you're good.
Oh yeah, forgot about that feature. Nice.
post #8 of 24 Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 AM

Yeah....

That should work for all garage door openers made in the last 5 years or so, for sure. But at my house, I still have an older Craftsman door opener that doesn't have the "rolling code" security feature of newer openers. Therefore, on it, you have to set a series of little DIP switches on the back of the remote in a specific pattern, and match that pattern with the switches on the back of the opener itself. That sets the fixed code it uses. For Homelink to learn that one, you DO need the remote - since Homelink obviously has no switches you can set on your mirror!

Quote:
post #9 of 24 Old 04-06-2009, 01:02 PM

I wonder if I can get this rigged up to fire up my computer and turn on my TV and stereo and load WoW so that as I pull into the drive way I have WoW sitting ready to log in and play...
post #10 of 24 Old 04-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Token Metro Guy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlesHBoX View Post
I wonder if I can get this rigged up to fire up my computer and turn on my TV and stereo and load WoW so that as I pull into the drive way I have WoW sitting ready to log in and play...
I think that is a bad idea, one in which people never find the solution to.

--CurrentCar--
2010 Karussell White Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Base
(Canadian Spec)
Carbon Filter Removed - 7000K High Beams/DRLs - 20% Tint - M&S Type D Grille - Black Vinyl Roof Overlay - Carbon Wrapped Console - BBM Lip Spoiler

--Previous Cars--
2005 Acura RSX Premium
2000 BMW 323i
1988 Toyota Supra Turbo
post #11 of 24 Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Ms. Warranty Voider

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:

Nice! Thanks.

I can't really do this alone (I'm only 5' tall), but I will try it out asap.

post #12 of 24 Old 04-06-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin View Post

I can't really do this alone (I'm only 5' tall),

Oh my. Petite. you are.

Quote:
The Pony is now a horse
post #13 of 24 Old 05-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Papa

Anything special you all did for programming? I followed the directions for the opener and no go. I do have a newer rolling code security type with the learn button but no luck after following the directions.

I've programmed this opener with another homelink in the past so it should work but...
post #14 of 24 Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 AM

Homelink Setup

I am having an issue programing also. I have an older Genie Intellilink but it does have a learn button on it. I tried the manual's instructions to no avail, but I went to the Genie site and found a different procedure for teaching the homelink. I will try it tonight.

I had to do this on my Suburban also, so I know it works on it.

Genie makes many of the other brands including most Craftsman units.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Papa

I tried deleting all of the buttons and running through it that way also to no avail. I forgot my old transmitter in my old car and cant get it until Friday so I'll have to try something else.
post #16 of 24 Old 05-05-2009, 04:10 PM

Success!

Wife Sarah found the link in the Genie instructions to program the homelink. It works great, but not what the Owner's Manual said. Here it is:
HOMELINK IN-CAR REMOTE PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS
To program a built-in-car transmitter to a rolling code garage door opener (Genie rolling code is called Intellicode, Liftmaster/Sears is called Security plus), you should take the following steps.

1. Clear out anything previously programmed into the in-car system from the factory by holding down on the 2-outside buttons simultaneously, until the in-car LED starts flashing rapidly. This may take up to a minute (in most cases, the key should be on auxilary, and/or the car door must be shut).
2. Decide which button you want to make to be your in-car garage door transmitter. Hold your transmitter up near the selected button, pressing both the garage door remote and the selected in-car transmitter button simultaneously. Hold down on the buttons until the in-car, LED light flashes rapidly. This sets the in-car remote transmitter to be your garage door openers make transmitter, but you are not done. You now need to make this in-car transmitter your personal transmitter.
3. Go to the Learn Button on your garage door opener. The button is usually next to the area where the floppy antenna is connected to the motor head. With Genie it is most often behind the light lens, and an indicator light flashes red when pressed. With Sears or Liftmaster (Chamberlain) it is near, or part of, the terminal screw board, and is a red, green or purple square button with a green, amber or purple indicator light. Press this learn button momentarily. The indicator light will turn on and blink if Genie or otherwise stay lit. For Genie systems, go back to the in-car transmitter button you programmed and press this button 3 or 4 times, or until the door starts moving. This should set your in-car transmitter to your garage door opener. For Liftmaster, Sears, or Linear Megacode press and hold the in-car button you programmed until the garage opener light flashes. Your in-car is now programmed to operate your door.

Dave
post #17 of 24 Old 05-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Papa

So you have to do both steps to get it to work? I can't get my transmitter until Friday so we'll see how it goes then.
post #18 of 24 Old 05-08-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFar View Post
So you have to do both steps to get it to work? I can't get my transmitter until Friday so we'll see how it goes then.
I have a newer garage door opener that uses the rolling code feature. I was unable to program my HomeLink system by using just the "Learn" button on the opener and the HomeLink remote. By attempting to program the HomeLink using my old remote and then doing the Learn button, it worked like a charm.

So in my experience, yes, you must do both steps.
post #19 of 24 Old 10-23-2009, 04:25 AM

Exactly right! I just did this yesterday and found I had to teach the homelink with one of my remotes first, THEN I could do the rolling code step.. Nice writeup Dave.. .. Now I have to figure out if the homelink buttons should be backlit.. just got the car and this morning was the first time driving in the dark.. and when going to close garage door realized that I couldn't see a thing on the mirror.. had to feel around for button 1..
post #20 of 24 Old 10-23-2009, 06:59 AM
Token Metro Guy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No the buttons aren't backlit. I think they would be distracting if they were since the mirror just hangs to the right of your line of sight.

--CurrentCar--
2010 Karussell White Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Base
(Canadian Spec)
Carbon Filter Removed - 7000K High Beams/DRLs - 20% Tint - M&S Type D Grille - Black Vinyl Roof Overlay - Carbon Wrapped Console - BBM Lip Spoiler

--Previous Cars--
2005 Acura RSX Premium
2000 BMW 323i
1988 Toyota Supra Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page