iPad Car Kit? - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums

GenCoupe.com is the premier Hyundai Genesis Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
lovin my 300+hp hyundai

Default iPad Car Kit?

Has anyone seen these yet? As I'm simply amazed with this device, the idea of having a clip on clip off mount somewhere seems pretty sick, kinda like how cop cars have laptops mounted. I've seen some prototypes on autoblog but nothing retail. Im curious if anyone else has heard/seen anything.
Bought April 2009 : Door Build date 12/08
7/2014@ 51,500 miles
----------------------
Unavi X5 w/backup camera (soon)

KDM 380GT & Genesis Wing Hood Badge

M&S Type-D Grill Painted Nord Gray

Custom OEM HID LED Strip & Angel Eyes

Smoked LED Tails

Powdercoated Track Rims

R2C SRI

Ark Drilled & Slotted Rotors, w/Hawk HPS Brembo Pads

SS Lines *soon

Injen Catback Exhaust
Justin5117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Aww yeee

I'm sorry, but loliPad
Infected is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #3

Default I posted this someplace else on here already, but ...

iPad Car Holder - NPH-45

I believe you can call and order one from the contact info on that page?
I like it a lot, personally ... Better than that whole in-dash monstrosity Scosche was hawking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin5117 View Post
Has anyone seen these yet? As I'm simply amazed with this device, the idea of having a clip on clip off mount somewhere seems pretty sick, kinda like how cop cars have laptops mounted. I've seen some prototypes on autoblog but nothing retail. Im curious if anyone else has heard/seen anything.
kingtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 04:58 AM   #4
lovin my 300+hp hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infected View Post
I'm sorry, but loliPad
you can lol an iPad all you want, but your really missing out .
7/2014@ 51,500 miles
----------------------

Smoked LED Tails

Powdercoated Track Rims

R2C SRI

SS Lines *soon

Injen Catback Exhaust
Old 06-04-2010, 05:09 AM   #5

Quote:
For a car application your looking at starting $630...and it's not that great of a product, other then being first to the market (sort of). I'm waiting for at LEAST a Droid product.

That said, where the uNavi nicely integrates with the rest of the car, the iPad does not. I would think higher of the iPad if you didn't drive around with a huge ass computer in plain sight and have to disconnect it and hide it every time you park your car. Next factor in you are not going to be able to use the car sound system nor hands free, which is a major fail.

Last edited by RudyH; 06-04-2010 at 05:14 AM.
RudyH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
Aww yeee

Quote:
Missing out an an overpriced touch pad with a limited, closed source OS that can't do half the things a netbook half the price can, with a crappy app store that shuts out thousands of apps a day, and a crappy glorified iPhone OS?

Yeah I'm REALLY missing out..

Too be honest, you'd be better off just buying a nav system for 1/3 the price.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:59 AM   #7
lovin my 300+hp hyundai

Quote:
Missing out an an overpriced touch pad with a limited, closed source OS that can't do half the things a netbook half the price can, with a crappy app store that shuts out thousands of apps a day, and a crappy glorified iPhone OS?

Yeah I'm REALLY missing out..

I'm not using it for nav??? I'm using it for internet browsing, I do lot's of idling in the car and when not driving it would be great to have it mounted.

As far as your opinion of the iPad, sorry that you don't like it. I can't live without it.
7/2014@ 51,500 miles
----------------------

Smoked LED Tails

Powdercoated Track Rims

R2C SRI

SS Lines *soon

Injen Catback Exhaust

Last edited by Justin5117; 06-04-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Well that's the thing with the iPad in a car situation. It has the potential to be good, the execution just SUCKS. Just like how Ford is trying to evolve it's Sync system, over the next couple of years you are going to start seeing more and more 'carputers' running apps from your dash. It won't be a simple $150 nav unit anymore.

I can say it now since I've seen pictures on Autoblog, but companies like RIM (makers of Blackberry) just bought out QNX the main company that makes the 'carputers' for BMW through iDrive for example. Hyundai is in the list too via the Equus. Point being, your sitting in your car thinking 'where should I get food from? Throw on UrbanSpoon for example and it randomly finds a restaurant for a food style you are craving and then throws it into Nav to tell you where to go to get it. I think for iPhone it was called AroundMe, BB it's called uPoynt, searches through the Yellow Pages and finds anything and everything, and anyone for that matter and throws it into Nav to get you that place.

RIM and BMW collaborate on iDrive-controlled BlackBerry integration [w/video] — Autoblog

Then you got for example in Korea - I think Arvin or one of the PA guys were saying, and I talked to some friends working on a nuclear reactor in SK, that you literally drive to a drive thru, and there is an app for that now to...you place your order at McDonalds by touch screen (iPhone, Droid, BB), pay the cashier and grab your food. No more fighting over the kid with his sound system cranked behind you trying to order your Big Mac.

There is going to be a large evolution in car electronics by way of software over the next 5 years.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #9
Aww yeee

Quote:
sorry you feel that way about the iPad
Lol classic brainwashed apple fanboy response :P

Well I'm not gonna drag this topic any further offtopic, gl with your search and sorry I couldn't be any help
Old 06-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #10

Quote:
I'm not using it for nav??? I'm using it for internet browsing, I do lot's of idling in the car and when not driving it would be great to have it mounted.

I'm looking for one that clips on for like 80 bucks, sorry you feel that way about the iPad. I love it, and use it everyday.
Hopefully like my Blackberry, Apple kills your ability to use the equipment while driving, and only allows BT...I thought texting was bad.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #11
lovin my 300+hp hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyH View Post
For a car application your looking at starting $630...and it's not that great of a product, other then being first to the market (sort of). I'm waiting for at LEAST a Droid product.

That said, where the uNavi nicely integrates with the rest of the car, the iPad does not. I would think higher of the iPad if you didn't drive around with a huge ass computer in plain sight and have to disconnect it and hide it every time you park your car. Next factor in you are not going to be able to use the car sound system nor hands free, which is a major fail.
Nah man, I'm looking for a clip on type holder that they have which are like under $150.00 . Since I'm not looking for a nav since I have one already I need something to secure it.
7/2014@ 51,500 miles
----------------------

Smoked LED Tails

Powdercoated Track Rims

R2C SRI

SS Lines *soon

Injen Catback Exhaust
Old 06-04-2010, 06:11 AM   #12
lovin my 300+hp hyundai

Quote:
Lol classic brainwashed apple fanboy response :P

Well I'm not gonna drag this topic any further offtopic, gl with your search and sorry I couldn't be any help
no prob.
7/2014@ 51,500 miles
----------------------

Smoked LED Tails

Powdercoated Track Rims

R2C SRI

SS Lines *soon

Injen Catback Exhaust

Last edited by Justin5117; 06-04-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:13 AM   #13
lovin my 300+hp hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyH View Post
Hopefully like my Blackberry, Apple kills your ability to use the equipment while driving, and only allows BT...I thought texting was bad.
I'm not using it while driving, I'm using it while in the car. While in the parking lot and stuff. I've owned tons of blackberrys since when do they do that rudy? I owned the pearl, curve, storm and tour and none of them stop working while driving and only allowed bt. they all were fully functional.
7/2014@ 51,500 miles
----------------------

Smoked LED Tails

Powdercoated Track Rims

R2C SRI

SS Lines *soon

Injen Catback Exhaust

Last edited by Justin5117; 06-04-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #14

Default uNavi, iPad, etc.

Personally, I think the whole "in dash car computer" idea has *never* been executed very well. The Ford Sync is probably the best stab at doing it right, to date ... and it's pretty limited too.

I've been waiting and waiting for someone to do this whole thing properly, but every time I try a technology out for it, it lacks in several ways.

I once owned a Clarion AutoPC stereo, for example. It ran Windows CE and had navigation software, voice recognition, and lots of custom software you could download into the head-unit from a CD. (I remember installing a blackjack card game on mine, among other things.) But it was ahead of its time, really. The processor in it was just too slow to do what was asked of it very well. The GPS system would announce turns AFTER you already drove past them, and it tended to freeze up and require a reboot occasionally.

I also owned an "Empeg MP3 Car" unit before.
(One of these: Rare !! Empeg Riocar In Dash Hardisk Linux Mp3 Car Player With Tuner - CariGold Forum )

That was actually a pretty good in-dash MP3 player for its time. You could put 2 laptop hard drives inside the enclosure, and it slid out like a pull-out stereo. When removed from the car, an AC adapter could be plugged into the back and it could be used as a home stereo too (had RCA jacks on the back of it). Since it ran Linux, people could customize it with all sorts of software besides just the MP3 playing code included with it -- and there were online forums devoted to it. But with no true color LCD display, it was probably doomed to fail eventually too,

Now I've purchased the uNavi and have it almost installed (planning on getting done with that on Saturday). And again, I'm not totally pleased with the integration. It's *good*, mind you -- but not ideal. (To improve it, they really should have come up with something that intercepts ALL the audio being output from the factory stereo head-unit and passes that PLUS any uNavi audio on out to the factory amplifier and speakers. Then they'd have the ability to do things like fade out the music when the GPS needs to speak directions, and you wouldn't have to worry about putting your stereo in AUX mode for it to be able to play through it.)
Old 06-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #15

Quote:
I'm not using it while driving, I'm using it while in the car. While in the parking lot and stuff. I've owned tons of blackberrys since when do they do that rudy? I owned the pearl, curve, storm and tour and none of them stop working while driving and only allowed bt. they all were fully functional.
It happens on my 9700 when connected to BT to the GC. It won't allow you to type.

Though, it MIGHT NOT be a 'feature' since the BT in the GC doesn't exactly work the best to begin with...we tried a different BB, an iPhone and a Samsung so Hyundai is now replacing the whole head unit.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #16
lovin my 300+hp hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
Personally, I think the whole "in dash car computer" idea has *never* been executed very well. The Ford Sync is probably the best stab at doing it right, to date ... and it's pretty limited too.

I've been waiting and waiting for someone to do this whole thing properly, but every time I try a technology out for it, it lacks in several ways.

I once owned a Clarion AutoPC stereo, for example. It ran Windows CE and had navigation software, voice recognition, and lots of custom software you could download into the head-unit from a CD. (I remember installing a blackjack card game on mine, among other things.) But it was ahead of its time, really. The processor in it was just too slow to do what was asked of it very well. The GPS system would announce turns AFTER you already drove past them, and it tended to freeze up and require a reboot occasionally.

I also owned an "Empeg MP3 Car" unit before.
(One of these: Rare !! Empeg Riocar In Dash Hardisk Linux Mp3 Car Player With Tuner - CariGold Forum )

That was actually a pretty good in-dash MP3 player for its time. You could put 2 laptop hard drives inside the enclosure, and it slid out like a pull-out stereo. When removed from the car, an AC adapter could be plugged into the back and it could be used as a home stereo too (had RCA jacks on the back of it). Since it ran Linux, people could customize it with all sorts of software besides just the MP3 playing code included with it -- and there were online forums devoted to it. But with no true color LCD display, it was probably doomed to fail eventually too,

Now I've purchased the uNavi and have it almost installed (planning on getting done with that on Saturday). And again, I'm not totally pleased with the integration. It's *good*, mind you -- but not ideal. (To improve it, they really should have come up with something that intercepts ALL the audio being output from the factory stereo head-unit and passes that PLUS any uNavi audio on out to the factory amplifier and speakers. Then they'd have the ability to do things like fade out the music when the GPS needs to speak directions, and you wouldn't have to worry about putting your stereo in AUX mode for it to be able to play through it.)
If I can actually get this mounted in a nice way, I think it will be great being it being a tablet touchscreen with 3G connected to the internet, simply pressing safari and bookmarks I'll have a computer in the car. Hopefully one day though 2020-2025 internet will be as standard as air bags.
7/2014@ 51,500 miles
----------------------

Smoked LED Tails

Powdercoated Track Rims

R2C SRI

SS Lines *soon

Injen Catback Exhaust
Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #17
「まんがをえがきます!」

if there's a good holder for ipad I would def get the one with 3g or 4g if it upgrades and upt it in my car whenver I go on a trip or something.

123noob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #18

Default Yep... I agree with you ....

Some people just aren't thinking this one through.
It really is going to be a cool mobile Internet solution. With the proper mounting kit (such as that gooseneck one I linked to), even people sitting in the back seat while you're driving could bend it back between the front seats and use it back there.

Additionally, it should make for a great GPS. There's at least one iPad specific GPS product that's been released already (which makes use of its full screen to draw your navigation info), and it should work with the ones designed for the iPhone too - though won't make as good of use of the whole screen.

On top of that, I keep thinking of apps like "Dynolicious" or "RevApp". They should let you display info from the car's OBDII port via a bluetooth adapter that plugs into that port and give you a cheap way to measure your car's performance stats.

And don't forget about the apps that give you vehicle maintenance reminders and track your MPG as you note where and which type of fuel you bought each time.

Plus, it'll be a good movie player for those who want that.

I'm honestly not sure how well it integrates with the iPod/iPhone cable on the GenCoupe - but I assume it can at least slowly recharge from it, if not allow complete control of the MP3 music player from the car stereo? (Haven't tried with mine yet.)

Theft IS an issue, obviously ... but that's why the right mount is critical. It has to be easy enough to remove and replace that you can easily take it out. Even if you just slide the iPad under a seat or something, by keeping it out of plain sight, you should make it a pretty low-risk target for theft.

Quote:
If I can actually get this mounted in a nice way, I think it will be great being it being a tablet touchscreen with 3G connected to the internet, simply pressing safari and bookmarks I'll have a computer in the car. Hopefully one day though 2020-2025 internet will be as standard as air bags.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #19

Web OS FTW!!! In cant wait until HP release their tablets with it. I love how web os flows on the pre.
/offtopic
LePapirrikY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #20

where would you find this?
interviewatruin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.