Improve cabin sound by sound proofing - Page 3 - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums

GenCoupe.com is the premier Hyundai Genesis Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #41
The Lonely Driver

Is there any rep on this forum for shark racing?

From what you guys said I would only like to buy the door ones, but if I have to buy the whole kit I might as well just DIY.

Thanks

Invision Automotion | Ch. 11 Section 7

R2C SRI, OBX Headers and DP/TPs, CNT V3 CBE, BTRcc Canned Tune, Crank Pulley, Grimmspeed IM Spacer, Maxbore.com TB Bore, Torque Solutions TB Spacer, 3.909 gears, BC Coils, Eibach Sways, R1 Premium D&S Rotors, Megan Racing Engine and Transmission Mounts, Uniq Rigid Collars, TWM STS, BLOX 490 Shift Knob, Luxon Grille, Tenzo Concept 9, 19" x 8.5", 19" x 9.5"

Last edited by Bigdawg1124; 03-30-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Bigdawg1124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #42

Honestly it's nice that it's fitted for the Gen doors and trunk for easy installation but thats about the best thing abou the product, really very little sound masking. The only benefit is it makes the doors sound solid when you close them. I don't think it was worth the price IMO.
gcturbo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #43

I've got the kit completely installed sans the hood piece.

A couple of the parts fit very well, the door pads and the upper trunk pad. Both were a good investment. As a bonus all 3 were installed in less than 45 minutes by me, They are easy!

I also installed the fender guards and the bottom of the trunk pieces. Both fit poorly and look like an afterthought.

There is a noticable improvement in sound in the cab. My wife could tell as soon as we got cruising down the highway that it was quieter. Maybe a 15% reduction in overall decibal levels? The exhaust sounds deeper and more clear because the background noise is lessened but it's also at a lower level. Cruising down the highway at 65mph and the car was nice and quiet. Any faster and the exhaust became more pronounced which I like.

The stereo sounds a HELL of a lot better now due to both the doors and the trunk insulation. This feature alone made it worth it to me.

If I was buying it now, I'd just skip on the fender pads and make my own there.

The package would be a better deal if they just sold the upper trunk portion, the lower trunk portion (but fitment corrected), and the door panels, all for less money.

Overall I'm pleased w/ the outcome and at this point, I would buy the product again, just without the fender pads.

I'm going to get the hood pad on there as well but doing that correctly is a 2 person job.
'11 V6 Track 6mt, 286 hp/ 265 tq. Custom tuning by SFR!, Weight is 3307#. GrimmSpeed, RC2, OBX, CNT, CF hood, on Stance, EBC Blues, BC HB09 Forged wheels (F 18"x9.5" +20 & R 19"x10.5 +30) rocking Michelin Pilot Supersports in 265/35R18 & 295/30R19.
Suns_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #44
Banned

i dont think the hood part would be useful at all .. ill try to make something with mine this summer since ill be removing most interior panels for my audio build anyways ..
ill post pics of my build and try something i found out recently as a sound proofing ..
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #45
Uses Search Button

Depending on what the hood material is, it can make a big difference. I believe the Korean spec models come with it from the factory too...

Sent from my HTC Glacier using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Msteve121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #46

After driving for a week or so w/ this kit I'm actually quite happy w/ the completed product.

The car is quieter and a bit less frantic to drive on my 60 mile 80mph commute.

The stereo sounds immensely improved as well.

Quite happy!
'11 V6 Track 6mt, 286 hp/ 265 tq. Custom tuning by SFR!, Weight is 3307#. GrimmSpeed, RC2, OBX, CNT, CF hood, on Stance, EBC Blues, BC HB09 Forged wheels (F 18"x9.5" +20 & R 19"x10.5 +30) rocking Michelin Pilot Supersports in 265/35R18 & 295/30R19.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #47

After having just completed this install, here are some things you need to know if you are considering ordering this kit.

#1) You can ask them to include the fender pieces instead of the useless hood liner. YMMV, but they did this swap for me for free.
#2) This kit fits 100% perfectly. If you have to cut a hole, anywhere, you're either not installing it as intended, or they sent you the wrong pieces. Here's the key: the soundproofing pieces fit on existing trim pieces, NOT on the car itself. The door pieces do not go onto the door; they go onto the door panel, once it is completely removed. The trunk piece does not go into the wheel well; it fits on the back side of the existing carpet/mat piece. The trunk hatch piece does not go into the metal of the trunk once the trim piece is removed, it goes on the trim piece itself. The fender liners go on the wheel well liner. The right way to install them is to jack up the car, remove the wheel, remove the liner, clean it, and install the soundproofing material on top of the inside of the liner, then reinstall.

Here's another tip: the door pieces can go on either door, but they obviously only fit one way. Same goes for the fender liners. The trunk bottom piece can be mirror flipped and it will fit either way. The trunk hatch piece, however, will not. It only fits right one way, and it may not be completely obvious until you flip it and try it the other way. If you have it mirror flipped the wrong way, it'll look like it's poorly made and just almost fits. If you flip it the right way, you'll see that everything lines up perfectly.

The difference this kit makes, when properly installed, is amazing.

Here's a picture of the door piece set inside the door panel. This was before I used the adhesive and straightened it out, but you can see that it is cut precisely to match the panel.

Here's one of the fender liner. Again, it matches perfectly.

Last edited by Jonahan; 04-11-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Jonahan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
I also installed the fender guards and the bottom of the trunk pieces. Both fit poorly and look like an afterthought.
My trunk piece was a 100% match. I suspect you tried to install it in the wheel well rather than adhering it to the bottom of the existing trunk carpet/mat.

Either that, or they sent you the wrong piece.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonahan View Post
My trunk piece was a 100% match. I suspect you tried to install it in the wheel well rather than adhering it to the bottom of the existing trunk carpet/mat.

Either that, or they sent you the wrong piece.
As you did, I attached the doors and the trunk lid piece to the trim, not the metal. But I don't have a carpet in the trunk (or a spare tire). But it makes sense what you are saying that if I had the carpet it would have fit well.

The doors fit very well. The trunk lid piece was very close, just the offset slot for a handle or hinge or something was about 3" off.

The fender pieces fit quite poorly but some of that is just the nature of having so many curves. Even w/ substantial disassembly under my hood and trimming , they still are quite wrinkley.

Ultimately I'm happy w/ the kit. My stereo sounds a hell of a lot better.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #50

Quote:
The trunk lid piece was very close, just the offset slot for a handle or hinge or something was about 3" off.
You (probably) just had it flipped wrong. The latch is actually offset on the trunk, so the piece they send is also offset. If you'd mirror flipped it, you'd have seen that it fits perfectly. I did the exact same thing, just got lucky and tried it the other way before I used the adhesive.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #51

Quote:
The fender pieces fit quite poorly but some of that is just the nature of having so many curves. Even w/ substantial disassembly under my hood and trimming , they still are quite wrinkley.
I need to do this next. My fender pieces came with a drill bit and several fasteners. That's kind scary without any instructions, but I'm guessing that they want me to drill holes in my liner and secure the fender pieces w/ the fasteners. Is that what you did?

Quote:
Ultimately I'm happy w/ the kit. My stereo sounds a hell of a lot better.
I agree, it does help the sound out quite a bit. It also significantly reduces road noise. I'd say it was worth every penny, though I haven't tried the fenders yet.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #52

Quote:
You (probably) just had it flipped wrong. The latch is actually offset on the trunk, so the piece they send is also offset. If you'd mirror flipped it, you'd have seen that it fits perfectly. I did the exact same thing, just got lucky and tried it the other way before I used the adhesive.
Um NO! I (of course) checked both ways. Although it was actually just about 1" or so off.

Who knows, maybe I had the entire thing slightly miss aligned and it was having an effect?

But I tried everyway I knew how and determined it was just not quite a perfect fit.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #53

That's interesting. Maybe they have some quality control issues then. Mine was, as my cousin Vinny's wife Lisa says, "dead on bawls accurate." (Bonus points if you're old enough to know what the heck I'm talking about.)
Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #54

Quote:
I need to do this next. My fender pieces came with a drill bit and several fasteners. That's kind scary without any instructions, but I'm guessing that they want me to drill holes in my liner and secure the fender pieces w/ the fasteners. Is that what you did?
I'm going to use that fender liner mounting hardware to mount the hood liner personally. I don't think any good, or need, would come out of drilling holes in the strut tower area.
When my new billet hinges arrive I'll just pull my CF hood and flip it upside down and glue the hood liner to the underside of the hood and then use those push tabs to securely attach it to the under CF hood bracing.

Prepare to remove (on the driver's side) your ECU and bracket and several miscellaneous cables. The fitment will then be passable. On the passenger side: battery, airbox, power steering reservior, etc... all needs to be pulled off the strut tower to try and get the insulation in there. A little spray adhesive and all of that crap being reinstalled will ensure that it never goes anywhere.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #55

Deleted...

Last edited by Jonahan; 04-11-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #56

Quote:
Prepare to remove (on the driver's side) your ECU and bracket and several miscellaneous cables. The fitment will then be passable. On the passenger side: battery, airbox, power steering reservior, etc... all needs to be pulled off the strut tower to try and get the insulation in there. A little spray adhesive and all of that crap being reinstalled will ensure that it never goes anywhere.
I guess I'm confused. Did you install your fender liners in your engine bay? It looks like the right way to do this is to jack up the car, remove the wheel, pull the wheel well liner and install the fabric on the backside of that piece.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #57

Just finished installing the driver's side pad. As you can see, it's an exact fit when installed correctly.

Took it for a spin. Makes a significant difference, even with only one done. Can't wait to get the other one on. Didn't have to use the hardware kit at all. I guess it's there if you don't use adhesive.

Last edited by Jonahan; 04-11-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #58

I just posted my first HOWTO ever. Hopefully it will be of benefit to someone, someday. =)

http://www.gencoupe.com/interior/949...ml#post1056424
Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #59

Double posted for some reason. Wasn't me, honest!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #60
Jms

@Jonahan,

If not mistaken, you installed a hood liner. If so, can you post a couple of pics of it?

Tks,
Jms
1990 Mustang LX 5.0 - Sold
2005 Scion Tc - Totaled
1969 Camaro SS-RS
1988 Conquest TSi
2012 Genesis Coupe R-Spec
Jms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.