good auto shops for HID install? (Markham/Scarborough) - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums

GenCoupe.com is the premier Hyundai Genesis Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010, 05:29 AM   #1
Member
 
baboo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tdot
Posts: 67
Default good auto shops for HID install? (Markham/Scarborough)

Was wondering if anyone knew a place where i can have them install my HID kit on my Genesis? i was quote $80 and found that to be a little high.

located near markahm/scarborough/richmond hill area
__________________
[FONT="Impact"]2010 Nord Grey 2.0T Premium -
baboo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
cowcow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,243
Default

If you ask around, someone may be able to help you install them.
__________________
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0t GT Tsukuba Red
cowcow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
luujerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Markham, Ontario (GTA)
Posts: 602
Default

DIY. its easy.
luujerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Newbie
 
XaeLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 479
Default

hey, my friend manages a shop. i asked him for a quote and he said 60 bucks. im not gonna lie and say hes giving you a special price or anything. but hes a good guy and will take care of you. if he asks, he knows me as Andy, not XaeLee.

OptionJDM
905.305.6316
__________________
-Andy
2.0T / Premium / Grey
Chronologically: Tinted Windows, UNAVI, Stage 2 DD Lights, Neochrome Knob, PowerX, HID Headlight, LED Fog light, Rear Camera, Break & Clutch Fluid, Clear Corner Reflectors, Black Headlight Housing, Black Trunk Emblems, Switchback Corners...
XaeLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
RudyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 5,207
Default

In all honesty, it's super easy.

All you really have to do is take out the bulbs and plug in all the special fitting wires and strap it to the car and your done. It's absolutely fool proof.

If you know how to change a light bulb in your headlight, you have the automotive skill to install the kit.
__________________
2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T GT 6-speed in Nordschleife Gray
RudyH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
Use the F'n Search Button
 
mmrp81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,280
Default

If your doing it for the first time, reading the instructions, etc.. it will take about an hour. You do have to remove the headlights, etc..

So in all honestly, $60 - $80 is not unreasonable at all.
__________________
mmrp81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Newbie
 
XaeLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyH View Post
In all honesty, it's super easy.

All you really have to do is take out the bulbs and plug in all the special fitting wires and strap it to the car and your done. It's absolutely fool proof.

If you know how to change a light bulb in your headlight, you have the automotive skill to install the kit.
hmm, i have to agree with you only to a certain point. i think its more about guts. skill-wise, you're totally right. theres really nothing to it. but when it comes to splicing and general electric work, people start to get paranoid about doing it wrong or improper.

if you have experience splicing cables, then you're seriously good to go. make ask someone on this forum to send you a picture of how they did it, and you'll do fine.

If you do it yourself though, i would ask around for some small tips. always good to be safe.
__________________
-Andy
2.0T / Premium / Grey
Chronologically: Tinted Windows, UNAVI, Stage 2 DD Lights, Neochrome Knob, PowerX, HID Headlight, LED Fog light, Rear Camera, Break & Clutch Fluid, Clear Corner Reflectors, Black Headlight Housing, Black Trunk Emblems, Switchback Corners...
XaeLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Use the F'n Search Button
 
mmrp81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,280
Default

FYI, theres already a DIY guide (afew of them actually) on the forum which can be found through searching.

ScoobaSteve made a nice one.
__________________
mmrp81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
Member
 
baboo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tdot
Posts: 67
Default

i ended up with igarage. it was $50 and it did look complicated. he took out the front bumper!

thanks for everyone else' replies though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaeLee View Post
hmm, i have to agree with you only to a certain point. i think its more about guts. skill-wise, you're totally right. theres really nothing to it. but when it comes to splicing and general electric work, people start to get paranoid about doing it wrong or improper.

if you have experience splicing cables, then you're seriously good to go. make ask someone on this forum to send you a picture of how they did it, and you'll do fine.

If you do it yourself though, i would ask around for some small tips. always good to be safe.
__________________
[FONT="Impact"]2010 Nord Grey 2.0T Premium -
baboo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
Pshhhhh squared
 
MiraBluecoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyH View Post
In all honesty, it's super easy.

All you really have to do is take out the bulbs and plug in all the special fitting wires and strap it to the car and your done. It's absolutely fool proof.

If you know how to change a light bulb in your headlight, you have the automotive skill to install the kit.
This.
It's not as hard as you may think it is.
__________________
E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Factory oil cooler
MiraBluecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
ManOnFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Gatineau, Qc, Canada
Posts: 1,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboo2 View Post
i ended up with igarage. it was $50 and it did look complicated. he took out the front bumper!

thanks for everyone else' replies though!
They took off your front bumper to install an HID kit? Or am I reading that wrong. Are we talking like an HID conversion kit like DD sells?
__________________
'10 Tsukuba Red 2.0T A/T - CP-e aIntake -TurboXS RSD CBE - Chromium Black XXR 522's 19x8.5+15/19x10+20 w/Hankook Ventus Evo tires 245/35 + 275/35 - Eibach Pro-Kit - R1Concepts Drilled & Slotted Rotors w/Hawk HPS Pads - M&S Type D Grill - 2013 LED Tails - 6000K HID Conversion/Interior LED Conversion - Tints 5/15%
ManOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
Use the F'n Search Button
 
mmrp81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,280
Default

The headlights can be tricky to remove with the front bumper on. Taking off the bumper is alot more work, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
__________________
mmrp81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
Member
 
baboo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tdot
Posts: 67
Default

i bought a conversion kit =/
wait wait... what is the different between a hid kit and hid conversion kit? (sorry serious noob question!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnFire View Post
They took off your front bumper to install an HID kit? Or am I reading that wrong. Are we talking like an HID conversion kit like DD sells?
__________________
[FONT="Impact"]2010 Nord Grey 2.0T Premium -
baboo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
ManOnFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Gatineau, Qc, Canada
Posts: 1,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmrp81 View Post
The headlights can be tricky to remove with the front bumper on. Taking off the bumper is alot more work, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
I just installed my HID conversion kit and all you have to do is remove 2 screws and the headlight pops right out. Not sure where the tricky part comes in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baboo2 View Post
i bought a conversion kit =/
wait wait... what is the different between a hid kit and hid conversion kit? (sorry serious noob question!)
Well for me, an HID kit would mean replacing the headlight housings for the actual ones that come from the dealer on the high end models (or aftermarket), and an HID conversion kit would be installing HIDs on a car that didn't come with them from the factory. Sorry I wasn't trying to confuse you, I just found it weird that they had taken your bumper off to do the install.

Did they mount the ballasts behind the bumper or something?
__________________
'10 Tsukuba Red 2.0T A/T - CP-e aIntake -TurboXS RSD CBE - Chromium Black XXR 522's 19x8.5+15/19x10+20 w/Hankook Ventus Evo tires 245/35 + 275/35 - Eibach Pro-Kit - R1Concepts Drilled & Slotted Rotors w/Hawk HPS Pads - M&S Type D Grill - 2013 LED Tails - 6000K HID Conversion/Interior LED Conversion - Tints 5/15%
ManOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
yellowmp5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA - Toronto
Posts: 414
Default

if u really have trouble doin' it urself,
i say take it to igarage!
he j/ installed a set of HIDs j/ today on someone's 2.0T when i dropped by in the afternoon~
and they actually do a great job, mountin' the ballast somewhere that cannot be seen

contact: ivan
156 Bullock Drive
Markham, ON L3P 1W2
(905) 471-8595


DIY isn't that difficult~
ontariogenesisclub.ca - View topic - How-to: Install HID (low beam & Fogs) for Non-HID equipped
__________________
2010 Karussell White Genesis Coupe
yellowmp5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #16
Member
 
baboo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tdot
Posts: 67
Default

if it was grey and you meant "friday", that would be me =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowmp5 View Post
if u really have trouble doin' it urself,
i say take it to igarage!
he j/ installed a set of HIDs j/ today on someone's 2.0T when i dropped by in the afternoon~
and they actually do a great job, mountin' the ballast somewhere that cannot be seen

contact: ivan
156 Bullock Drive
Markham, ON L3P 1W2
(905) 471-8595


DIY isn't that difficult~
ontariogenesisclub.ca - View topic - How-to: Install HID (low beam & Fogs) for Non-HID equipped
__________________
[FONT="Impact"]2010 Nord Grey 2.0T Premium -
baboo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
yellowmp5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA - Toronto
Posts: 414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboo2 View Post
if it was grey and you meant "friday", that would be me =)
I guess u were the one Ivan brought up....he told me u own a civic earlier?
__________________
2010 Karussell White Genesis Coupe
yellowmp5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #18
Member
 
baboo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tdot
Posts: 67
Default

yep. owned a civic ex coupe 06 earlier. haven't gone there for 2 years but he still remembered me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowmp5 View Post
I guess u were the one Ivan brought up....he told me u own a civic earlier?
__________________
[FONT="Impact"]2010 Nord Grey 2.0T Premium -
baboo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
preston_nfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,133
Default

I should be getting my HID kit in mail in the next few days. I know Lorenzo wants to come over and watch me do it, your more than welcome to come by as well. I've never done it but it doesn't look that difficult.
__________________
2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Plasma Blue Pearl)
1997 Subaru Impreza 2.2 - 5 Speed (Brilliant Red) - Sold
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T - 6 Speed @ 21 PSI Boost (Nordschleife Grey) - Sold
preston_nfs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.





Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:44 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2