Rear Passenger Brembo Brake Caliper - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums

GenCoupe.com is the premier Hyundai Genesis Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #1

Default Rear Passenger Brembo Brake Caliper

So the threads that the bleeder valve goes on to have been stripped. When bleeding my brakes, the bleeder valve came out with the caliper's aluminum threads and I'm now stuck with a useless caliper.

I was wondering if anyone knew some kind of cheap remedy. I've been quoted for $1700 at my dealership for just that one caliper. If no remedy, does anyone know a place that sells used / new brembo calipers on the cheap
Also willing to buy someone's rear passenger side caliper if you don't want it

Thanks

Also, after reading through some stuff... How bad would it be if I purchased base calipers for my rear? Just until I could find a good price on my dead brembo caliper.

Last edited by Esints; 11-19-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Esints is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #2

There are brake bleeder repair kits. Essentially you drill out the hole and tap to accept a special brass pipe adapter fitting which has internal threads and seat to accept the bleed screw supplied. If you're not comfortable doing that, take it to a machine shop.

Or, if you really wanted a cheap route, drill/tap for pipe fitting and put in a pipe plug. Then you loosen the brake line fitting for bleeding. Not exactly ideal, but it is another option.

Either way, clean the crap out of the caliper because you don't want any shavings getting into the wrong place.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #3

Ah, okay. That's good to know.

Another question, though. Am I able to put base brake calipers on the rear of my 3.8l Track? Or are you only able to go from base calipers to brembos?
Old 11-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #4

You mean just swap out the Brembo calipers for base calipers? No, there are lots of differences besides just the calipers... rotors, caliper brackets, hoses, etc.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #5

I don't think there are. Iirc after doing some reading, the only thing I'd need to switch out would be the rotors and the calipers. I'm pretty sure everything else is the same (that's what I take from people switching from base setups to the brembo setup).

Luckily, I was able to put a Heli-coil into my caliper, throw a seal in the bottom, weld the openings on the bleeder, and stuff that bitch back into its hole. So at the moment, I'm leak free and able to drive
Old 11-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
MrGenesis 2012 2.0TGC BLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydi View Post
You mean just swap out the Brembo calipers for base calipers? No, there are lots of differences besides just the calipers... rotors, caliper brackets, hoses, etc.
The only problem will be the rotors are to big, and the caliper will most likely interfer with the backing plates, the nub on the banjo bolt for the rbake line might also interfer as i dont think base calieprs have the hole for it.

Personally id jsut tap it for a larger bleeder screw, its pretty simple if you have ever taped a hole before and itd only take maybe 15mins

edit, just need to be carful you dont get to much metal inside the caliper, you may need to remove the other bleeder adn actually blow air throught it

Last edited by FrankenRob; 11-26-2013 at 08:24 AM.
FrankenRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.