post #1 of 6 Old 06-30-2015 Thread Starter
rebmeM roineS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Boost control solenoid/wastegate issue?

Hey guys,

Ive don't searches and the closest thread I could find to my problem was the "leaking boost but no boost leak" thread. Basically i got my motor replaced due to a spun bearing. It had previously been BTR tuned and was hitting 21psi. After i got the new motor, the people who installed the motor didn't hook back up my boost gauge correctly, and at the time i didn't really care because i was happy to get my car back. Popped the tune back in, and kept goin. I recently put an HKS bov in the stock location and when i did that, i went ahead and reconnected everything for my boost gauge. After driving i noticed i would only hit 15psi max. I thought it was just because it wasn't warm enough, but no matter how long ive been driving i still cant boost over 15psi. I did not find any leaks so it brought me here to search.

In the leaking boost but no boost leak thread, it says that his fix was bypassing the solenoid for the BOV. I plan on doing this next, but im waiting for the vac lines to get here as my local auto stores had no 3/16 or 3/8 hose . Some buddies of mine said it sounds like a wastegate issue. It spools like normal, drives like normal, just not hitting the target boost. itll hit 14.5-15 and taper to 12. Like i said, i will be trying to bypass the solenoid as soon as i get my vac line, but does anyone have any other suggestions on what it could be/what to check?

Thanks guys!

and heres a pic for some interest

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-30-2015
Advenio Pariter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Garage

What you are describing sounds like stock boost levels and performance. Hitting 14+ and tapering down is the stock tune.

2011 Base 2.0T, 5AT
Trunk Lip Spoiler
Fog Lights
Rear Wing Badge / Blackened Front Logo
Garage Line 22mm Rear Sway Bar
Uniq Rigid Collars
Saikou Michi Catch Can - Intake
JEGS Oil Separator - Turbo
Dynamat Hoodliner
Infinity Kappa 62.11 Door and Rear Speakers
Warranty: New Tails
Non-maintenance: 2 idler pullys

2013 Elantra GT, 6AT (hers)

-- previous rides --
Salsa Red 2004 Vibe GT 6MT
Dark Red Pearl 1991 Stealth R/T 5MT
post #3 of 6 Old 06-30-2015 Thread Starter
rebmeM roineS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

I thought that as well, but its definitely still the BTR tune. Still has 2 step, only builds 1 or 2 psi, and no cruise control.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-05-2015

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)

the stock wastegate pressure (just the wastegate) is only 8 pounds IIRC. So the solenoids are doing something.

do a leak down test and check your turbo for any shaft play.
post #5 of 6 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey have you fixed this issue? I have the same! I have an sfr tune with hks bov in stock location. And my car should peak at 18psi but hitting around 10-15 and sometimes I get cel. If I reset car it works sometimes but then stays at a lower psi. Could it be the wastegate arm adjusted ? Lmk if you solved this pls
post #6 of 6 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Similar

Dudes what you are describing was a common thread problem in alot of VT guys tuning journeys.

The oem solenoid setup is defending itself against your tune. In the case of the OP using a HKS bov this is even more problematic.

The soloution is to loop the oem solenoid onto itself,...in essence its playing with itself while the bov will be getting direct input from the IM.

So HKS dude your vac line needs to be 1/4 ID from the IM directly. Wherever the system solenoid is, the line formerly going to the BOV goes back to itself. Hopefully theres structural similarity there. The principle is the same.

TIALs and HKS need 1/4 ID vac lines to run proper sourced directly from the IM.

Here we go again !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement