Why is the SFR canned tune so much cheaper than BTR? - Hyundai Genesis Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-17-2015 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Why is the SFR canned tune so much cheaper than BTR?

I am looking at getting a tune on my car. Right now I have a full turbo back cat-less exhaust, SRI, and BOV. I just bought a CPe FMIC. I was curious why the SFR tune is only like 250 if I mail in my ECU, but BTR charges like 500. What is the difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-17-2015

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I think that BTR can tweak it a little better than SFR.

On the BTRs site, you can tell it specifically what mods you have where on the SFR tune, you can't. However, if you go with the new core ECU you can have SFR do vin coding on it which, i'm not sure to be honest if BTR can do that. This isn't a big deal to some people, though.

Idk. I have the SFR stage 1 tune with a core ECU and i'm pretty please with it being a canned tune that is. Throttle response is much better and it pulls and pulls all the way to redline. If you have the AT, you're redline stays the same as that is controlled by the TCU instead of the ECU. The stage 1 tune pushes you to about 18-18.5 psi (I have a mechanical boost gauge so it fluctuates ever so slightly on the reading) Although, I wouldn't go much higher than that. I think 20psi is about as high as you want to go on the stock turbo
post #3 of 17 Old 12-17-2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage

As far as the price difference, I don't recall there being that much between the BTR and SFR, though I'm on the V6 platform.
So I never noticed the 2T ECU tune difference.

However from my in depth reviews of well other peoples reviews the tunes is this...
One is far more praised.
The other... appeared to have more negatives.

One of the negatives being some people who opened their ECUs after getting tuned and found multiple solder points broken/damaged to either unrepairable or just plain ugly conditions - as far as a solder repair would go to correct access pins.

The truth behind all the observable data is definitely questionable, but I went with a gut decision to give SFR a try.

They DO allow you to contact them prior to sending / after sending in your ECU to tell them what you have installed. Getting SFR to answer a phone call though isn't very likely. Their online response times are decent at best. Service performed however is grand. My A/F ratio alone for a canned tune is great, with very minimal long/short term trimming. Do I know if they actually changed anything in the canned tune for me, based on the info I gave them? No I do not. And to be completely honest as far as canned tunes go I don't see much variation in whether they know all the parts you have installed. Since it is a "canned" tune. So pick what one you want, as I have no direct experience for BTR I cannot speak for them. SFR on the other hand treated me well and were on-top of letting me know they were out of fresh ECU's to tune but gave me an accurate ETA on when I'd get it.

SFR has and will continue to have my support. Just do some searching and form your own opinion rather than hear what'll be most everyones bias opinions. Couldn't hurt to see what their reviews are on any other vehicles they support either. I'm sure much more common vehicles that one or the other may tune will have more reviews than our less-common vehicles.

post #4 of 17 Old 12-17-2015
Mac
3.8 Driver

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith87 View Post

On the BTRs site, you can tell it specifically what mods you have where on the SFR tune, you can't. However, if you go with the new core ECU you can have SFR do vin coding on it which, i'm not sure to be honest if BTR can do that. This isn't a big deal to some people, though.

Idk. I have the SFR stage 1 tune with a core ECU and i'm pretty please with it being a canned tune that is. Throttle response is much better and it pulls and pulls all the way to redline. If you have the AT, you're redline stays the same as that is controlled by the TCU instead of the ECU. The stage 1 tune pushes you to about 18-18.5 psi (I have a mechanical boost gauge so it fluctuates ever so slightly on the reading) Although, I wouldn't go much higher than that. I think 20psi is about as high as you want to go on the stock turbo
SFR can custom tune the car for the mods you have... If i'm not mistaken the tune adapts to the cars mods...

2012 2T Nord Gray | TurboXS | Weapon-R | SFR (SOLD)

2015 Ibiza Blue 3.8 R-Spec | Tomei | CNT | SFR(CURRENT)
-Social Media-
Instagram: w.jenningss
Snapchat: w.jennings
post #5 of 17 Old 12-17-2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
SFR can custom tune the car for the mods you have... If i'm not mistaken the tune adapts to the cars mods...
You'd be correct, with or without tune tha computa is always adjusting an adapting. The tune just opens up more parameters to let the motor breathe better and some other possible tinkering.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-17-2015

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith87 View Post

The reason SFR doesn't give you as many options on their can tune is that there are just to many variables to adjust for on a can tune.

BTR actually opens the ecu and does some **** (not sure if they still do this). They were know to put superglue or some other stuff in the ecu so it couldn't be reprogrammed.

On the stock ECU with the 13t turbo, once you get over 18 psi it start to get less efficient. Anything over 20psi, it start to turn into a flame thrower, and will need a larger intercooler, for only 2 more psi, when getting a larger turbo and running it a lower boost will get you the same or more HP.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-18-2015
Mac
3.8 Driver

Quoted: 98 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
The reason SFR doesn't give you as many options on their can tune is that there are just to many variables to adjust for on a can tune.

BTR actually opens the ecu and does some **** (not sure if they still do this). They were know to put superglue or some other stuff in the ecu so it couldn't be reprogrammed.

On the stock ECU with the 13t turbo, once you get over 18 psi it start to get less efficient. Anything over 20psi, it start to turn into a flame thrower, and will need a larger intercooler, for only 2 more psi, when getting a larger turbo and running it a lower boost will get you the same or more HP.
When upgrading actually makes your car slower!

2012 2T Nord Gray | TurboXS | Weapon-R | SFR (SOLD)

2015 Ibiza Blue 3.8 R-Spec | Tomei | CNT | SFR(CURRENT)
-Social Media-
Instagram: w.jenningss
Snapchat: w.jennings
post #8 of 17 Old 12-18-2015

Quoted: 750 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
When upgrading actually makes your car slower!
Its better to run cold compressed air than compressed hot air. Makes it less likely to window your block
post #9 of 17 Old 12-18-2015

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)

To answer OP's question,
We've been offering the tuning options way longer than any other competitions out there (since July 2010) that we were able to lower the price.
Yet we are also the only company who can offer all these mail in tunes and custom tunes for all year/model in house (nothing shipped to Korea or waiting for tuners to fly out) which is a huge difference.
J Long and nrod121 like this.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-18-2015 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for all the responses I think I am going to go with the SFR tune...Now I just have to figure what car to drive in the mean time
post #11 of 17 Old 12-18-2015

Quoted: 61 Post(s)

I have SFR tune for almost 2 year on my V6. Got my car tuned a week later when i purchased it so can't really tell if theres a difference. However i think Dealer updated my ECU (I declined and even signed a paper for this) and right now i need to redo the flash again Other than that 2 years and 16k miles - 0 issues. Canned tune on stock ECU

2016 Mercedes AMG C450
OE ECU Tune 448HP, 533TQ
AWE Touring Exhaust
Niche Wheels

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 Limited
Stock with 19" GenCoupe wheels

SOLD :
2014 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Ultimate Black
SFR Tune
K&N Typhoon SRI
Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust
Verde Axis wheels
BC Coilovers
post #12 of 17 Old 12-18-2015

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I would go with SFR, he is based here in USA. He will treat you fairly and either tune is nothing to brag about in long run.

sfr canned 2010 3.8 AT
Btrcc custom tuned 2011 MT 3.8T
Working on the Rotrex SC..
post #13 of 17 Old 12-21-2015

Quoted: 123 Post(s)

BTR canned tunes seem to be overpriced IMO.

There's a limit to what you can do with canned tunes (and there is) in order to keep them safe for as many cars as you can. I am not entirely convinced that BTR is so good at tuning that their canned tune makes enough of a difference to SFR or BR that justifies that price hike.

For something that isn't custom, the BTR price doesn't seem worth it. If you're going to spend $500 on a canned tune, save up for a little bit more and get a custom.

I think there was only one guy here who tried SFR, BTR, and maybe BR's canned tune and wrote down all the results. I haven't seen that thread in ages and forgot who the member was.

2012 Tsukuba Red 2.0T A/T
Beyond Redline Stage 1 tune
CP-E Intake
CP-E Catback Exhaust
AGP FMIC w/ SSQV BOV.
Turbo XS Downpipe
Forge BOV
post #14 of 17 Old 04-05-2016

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I went with SFR because of price and customer service. Jay was immediately responsive to my email about my turbo upgrade. He told me SFR has tuned for my turbo (Tomei M7960) and told me exactly what supporting mods I would need in addition (750cc injectors and a boost controller). I got the Tune, injectors, and a nice Boost Control/Wideband AFR failsafe for about $1200 total.

BTR... when I told them about the turbo... wanted to charge me $999 just for the tune with no mention of supporting mods!

So the choice was clear for me.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-06-2016

Quoted: 175 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarla View Post
I went with SFR because of price and customer service. Jay was immediately responsive to my email about my turbo upgrade. He told me SFR has tuned for my turbo (Tomei M7960) and told me exactly what supporting mods I would need in addition (750cc injectors and a boost controller). I got the Tune, injectors, and a nice Boost Control/Wideband AFR failsafe for about $1200 total.

BTR... when I told them about the turbo... wanted to charge me $999 just for the tune with no mention of supporting mods!

So the choice was clear for me.
Supporting mods for BTR's tune is mentioned in this forum and on their website. At the time they posted a dyno video with the turbo with audible surge but who knows it they revised their tune.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-12-2016

Garage

Old thread but here's my take on it...

Friend who I work with on a daily basis has had his 2.0T R-Spec (BK1) can-tuned at SFR years ago...
His car now has over 100k+ miles and he's had ZERO issues

My 2010 3.8 also had SFR's tune for years, sold the car at 68k miles, not one issue... Jay treats customers with respect, I'm fairly local and have personally seen hundreds of customers who say the same.

BK2 2.0T Base
991.1 C2S
17' S3
post #17 of 17 Old 04-13-2016

This thread is good.

Good advice. I never got a tune, but I have a 3.8l bk1. For now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement