Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Intermittent Lost of Boost! HELP!

4K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  B-XI 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

First of all. I drive a 2010 Gen 2.0T with less than 65k miles. MODS : ISR 3'' O2 Housing, Custom 3'' downpipe, Solo Performance 3'' catback, TurboXS RFL BOV (mounted directly on Turbo flange and connected to oem solenoid), New NGK 2309 with factory gap, K&N CAI, competition clutch stage 2 and SFR Custom Tune on 94 Octane. (Mishimoto oil catch can but not installed yet.)

The day after my custom tune. Check engine with code P2261 (Turbo/Super Charger Bypass Valve - Mechanical) showed up. Also while slow driving/accelerating, the car would buck his way up... And once in a while I would have a lost of power WORST than when it was stock ... All this is intermittent.

Decided to get an OBDII Bluetooth Sensor with the Torque APP. to see where my boost is at. When everything is alright I boost at 18.5 peek and steady 17.5/18 psi. When problem occurs I would boost at 5-6 psi ... and some other time 10-12 psi. I shut down the car. Reset ECU and start it back up and problem resolved. But maybe 1min after or 3-4 shifts after .. problem would come back. Some times I might do a 25 min drive and problem never shows up.

Thought that the BOV might not be stiff enough for boost and would stay open or closed. Brought the car to a local Dyno and made tests. When prob occurs. BOV works fine. Throttle works fine but the Duty cycle Solenoid wastegate is faulty. When everything is ok it drives my turbo at 85% but when problem occurs ...20-25%... could it be my wastegate that's screwing up ?

Some says that I must relocate the BOV on the other side of the intercooler/ right before the throttle body and connect the vacuum hose directly to intake manifold.

Some says it's a bug in the tune. Before dishing out more money.. i'd like some help from you guys.

What test do you guys recommend first?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#8 ·
If you plumb the vacuum source directly to the intake manifold, bypassing the solenoid, and it is staying open the BOV either is bad or needs some different springs (if applicable).

That being said, at idle my Forge is open and venting. But other wise works great with a yellow +22 psi spring. Boost is peak around 21 lbs on stock turbo and tune.

#9 ·
If I relocate that same BOV before the throttle body. And plug vacuum on intake manifold directly. Do you think it may help or change. Will it still stay open?

I'm just trying to figure out if I can still use this BOV or go for a Synapse kit and plug it directly to OEM solenoid and sale my TurboXS BOV...

#14 ·
Yes it does ... also my engine bucks when I accelerate. CEL goes away after a few days than comes back on. I can not go through a day without having my problem.

Also my driveway is all black from exhaust fumes ... I don't think it's normal.

#17 ·
I'm just going to jump in here also. Also having 2261. This randomly came on 5ish years ago and I figured it was the block off plate. Managed to get a new one and run a ring of black sealant around it and let it dry, then install it. 5 years, no problem. Now just the other day it comes on, first CEL in 5 years. Is there a trick to this BOP thing or should I try looking at something else? Someone mentioned the solenoid being stuck? Car only has 26k miles on it....is that normal?

#20 · (Edited)
So many I know that have dicked with Turbo XS bov s have had issue after issue. In the VT world and here,..seems like a common thread. I d stay away from those things.

Running off the IM the following are bulletproof:

true HKS
Tial
Forge
Turbo smart

(None of the above want to play with a Nancy solenoid)
OP with his stage 2 tune should have one of the above

#21 ·
That's why I've bought a new BOV. I went with the Synapse Synchronic BOV. It's the only one that works great with solenoid.

I'll put a block off plate on turbo and try to sell this garbage TurboXS BOV.

I'll run more tests after. I should receive my Synapse this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.