BK1 AT- Manual mode or auto after tune? - Hyundai Genesis Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-21-2019 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
BK1 AT- Manual mode or auto after tune?

2011 Bk1 2.0t with SFR 1.5 and exhaust, nothign too special.

Was wondering if there were any performance differences between driving the car in manual, or auto mode on the auto trans. Ive heard with some other cars the auto tends to behave more efficiently by a substantial margin, but have a had a hard time finding specifics on this with this car. Just wondering if anyone either knows for sure or has experience with this.

If it makes a difference I'd like to know if this changes at all due to the tune, or if the tune itself behaves differently based on being set to auto or manual mode. Would also like to know if this circumstance is comparable;e before or without a tune.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-21-2019

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Still learning my 5 A/T and it seems - no performance difference, difference is you control how long you hold the gear (asumming you dont hit the limiter).

That's all.

The problem is this gearbox feels laggy to me - and frequently in normal driving using manual mode does not react to my input.
I.e:
- i want a gear up but it doesn't go
- I want gear down , it makes a double reduction (from 3rd gear to 1 - software bug).

So... it can be annoying, it seems the best usage of manual mode is autocross where you are constantly between 3k - 6k rp to hold the gear or down shift. But no 'faster' gear change or anything like that at least i didn't notice any
post #3 of 6 Old 01-24-2019

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Wish it could be like on my Scirocco 6spd DSG - in manual it holds gear + it maintains RPM near 3000-3500, so whenever you touch throttle, you get instant boost/torque. Every time your rpm drops to like 2800 - it automatically downshifts to keep RPM in that "best response" zone. It has great effect on cars response.

If you are looking for details - in shop manual there is description of what exactly changes in trans operation when Manual mode is selected.

EFR7163 2.0T BK1 A/T build - fast spooling 400whp+ 5speed auto <- let's pray it'll last a while -> https://www.gencoupe.com/gencoupe-build-projects/582313-lokiinlove-s-2-0t-t-build-thread.html

post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokiinlove View Post
Wish it could be like on my Scirocco 6spd DSG - in manual it holds gear + it maintains RPM near 3000-3500, so whenever you touch throttle, you get instant boost/torque. Every time your rpm drops to like 2800 - it automatically downshifts to keep RPM in that "best response" zone. It has great effect on cars response.

If you are looking for details - in shop manual there is description of what exactly changes in trans operation when Manual mode is selected.
If someone would crack the TCU... that would be doable - just move the lower rev down shift limiter

You know the most annoying thing is the double downshift that the 5A/t does

Freaking software bug, I'm frequently driving in manual mode while normal commute - coming form manual car i just like to do that.
So when my revs go low i naturally down shift manually, the problem is my 'downshift' is exactly the same moment when the TCU decides to down shift

So now gearbox is doing 2 actions at nearly the same time:
- Manual downshift from the user (commanded by paddle) (from 3rd gear to 2nd gear)
- Automatic downshift due to low rev protection (from 3rd gear to 2nd gear)

And i end up in 1st gear with my passenger kissing the dashboard ;/

Also.... the AT is not a problem the freaking torque converter is - i already learned to hate that thing for the disconnection between what the engine is doing and what the car is doing.

My biggest mistake was to 'lets try an auto box for a change' at-least the fact its a slush box ;/
DSG would be lovely

Last edited by Pchelka; 01-24-2019 at 01:23 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-24-2019

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

weeeeeell, honestly i don't mind auto, maybe i'm just used to it like i never regret choice i made

I cannot say problem you describe is a bug, my Rocco does the same thing from time to time, it's just your driving habits duplicate what's coded into TCU, should mean you drive it right way i guess lol

I remember my honda accord had 2 manual modes, one was semi manual, similar to genesis, and the other one was truly manual, where it will not auto upshift or downshift unless you do it manually. when rpm climbed high, it was just bouncing off the rev limiter. Genesis could benefit from it a lot.

My trans builder offered me phone number of guy who he said able to tune re5r05a TCU, and i hope maybe he can do something with a5sr1 too. Haven't contacted him yet, i'd be happy even with only auto upshift moved to 7k.

EFR7163 2.0T BK1 A/T build - fast spooling 400whp+ 5speed auto <- let's pray it'll last a while -> https://www.gencoupe.com/gencoupe-build-projects/582313-lokiinlove-s-2-0t-t-build-thread.html
post #6 of 6 Old 02-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokiinlove View Post
weeeeeell, honestly i don't mind auto, maybe i'm just used to it like i never regret choice i made

I cannot say problem you describe is a bug, my Rocco does the same thing from time to time, it's just your driving habits duplicate what's coded into TCU, should mean you drive it right way i guess lol

I remember my honda accord had 2 manual modes, one was semi manual, similar to genesis, and the other one was truly manual, where it will not auto upshift or downshift unless you do it manually. when rpm climbed high, it was just bouncing off the rev limiter. Genesis could benefit from it a lot.

My trans builder offered me phone number of guy who he said able to tune re5r05a TCU, and i hope maybe he can do something with a5sr1 too. Haven't contacted him yet, i'd be happy even with only auto upshift moved to 7k.
If you do get a contact like that or any info at all please do share - right now im jsut so furious with this AT, I'm relay considering just swapping out this transmission completely. Just don't have any lift to get the job done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement