Exhaust Options - California - Hyundai Genesis Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exhaust Options - California

I feel like I've been posting a lot lately haha but anyways, my current setup right now is the Exceladyne downpipe (deletes primary and secondary cats) and the ISR single exit. I like the sound but it could be a possible problem with how strict things are getting here in CA. I've thought about an electric cutout but I would obviously need the stock cats back on or high flow cats for it to actually have a purpose. If I went back to stock cats and put a cutout in, I lose the nice gain from being catless with the BR tune (now gencoupestore). I also might not like how it sounds with the cutout. If I went to high flow cats (more money), then the tune might not be compatible. I read on another thread that the BR tune doesn't have support for high flow cats.

Another option would be to just weld in fake cats on top of the downpipe in the case of being pulled over. I've already put on an AEM intake since it is CARB legal vs my previous K&N. The fake cats wouldn't help the sound though, unless I got real 3in cats and had them hollowed out, so they would essentially be resonators.

Thoughts??

2010 Genesis 2.0T R-Spec
BR Canned Tune w/1:1 throttle || AEM Intake
HKS BOV SSQV4 Cold Side || BR off-road down pipe
Isis Single Exit catback || Port and Polished Exhaust Manifold
Port and Polished Turbine outlet housing || Torque Solutions STS
Megan Transmission Mount || Corksport adjustable weighted shift knob
Megan coilovers || Enthuspec Subframe Washers
CC Stage 2 Clutch/Flywheel || AGP Catch can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Or something like this for the fake O2 Housing

And for the secondary cat

This would give some sound deadening and give the cat look.

2010 Genesis 2.0T R-Spec
post #3 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago
In Charge of Snacks

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)

I think CA is stupid. LOL. Fake catalyst (Vibrant resonator) is your best bet. Make a resonator out of a real O2 housing and you'll keep most of the power, but lose a bit more to the larger cavity. Good for roadside stealth inspections. Still, you're driving around making the place smell like mexico, so that sucks...

'11 3.8 R-spec
Now trying to build the impossible

post #4 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

It really does haha. Do you still have your cats on? I'm assuming so since I've read that the 3.8s don't really gain anything from it. The resonators as fake cats shouldn't affect the tune right? I guess could ask Tim from Gencoupestore to double check too.

2010 Genesis 2.0T R-Spec
post #5 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago
In Charge of Snacks

I have my cats, yeah. But it's not that the 3.8 wouldn't gain, its that to realize those gains you need to rework all the plumbing. Essentially, the 2.5 inch downpipes(which come after the primary cats in the log-style exhaust manifolds) are too big for the flow at stock-ish rpms and stock displacement. The secondary cats actually help scavenging action at lower rpms for the stock size of pipe they're attached to.

I know, blah blah blah... Suffice it to say that removing the secondary cats has little if any potential to benefit a mostly stock 3.8 engine.

To answer your question, I would think a gutted cat would be detrimental. However if you were to weld in a perforated sleeve so that a central channel through the cat could be maintained you might be able to sustain flow sufficient to make effects to the tune negligible. And honestly, since it's a turbo motor it's going to be quite a bit less sensitive to exhaust sizing nitpicking. We're probably talking about a total spread of maybe 10hp difference between a straight pipe, a resonator, and a gutted cat. I doubt you'd ever notice aside from the sound.

'11 3.8 R-spec
post #6 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Yeah I see what you're saying. I wonder how much quieter the car would even be with welding in those two resonators. And if I would even like the sound if I did an electric cutout after them. I wish there was a way to magically hear it before getting things welded. I also wish I didn't have to worry about this stuff and just leave my exhaust the way it is haha.

2010 Genesis 2.0T R-Spec
post #7 of 14 Old 6 Days Ago
In Charge of Snacks

Yeah, exhaust is the same problem with wheels. You kinda have to buy/make them to try them out... If you're nearby I have a decibelmeter. Be happy to come out and measure whether or not you need to do anything. I just had a whole new setup built. Used some fancy snake-oil English vortex inducing resonator and a vibrant single 3" in - double 2.5" out muffler. The vibrant is straight with no baffles, while the vortex unit is kinda baffled. hard to explain. But the net result is it's way too effing quiet now. Used to trumpet and roar, now its more of a regular note with a hiss. Lame

'11 3.8 R-spec
post #8 of 14 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I'm in La so not that close haha. And cops don't even need to have a decibel meter with them to do the test. If they think it's too loud, even if it is under the limit, they'll write you a ticket. I'm not sure if you can fight it if you have proof or if you just have a decibel meter with you at the time to show them.

2010 Genesis 2.0T R-Spec
post #9 of 14 Old 5 Days Ago
In Charge of Snacks

Yeah, the part no cop will tell you is that they don't have a leg to stand on in court. Essentially, they didn't gather evidence because they're neither trained nor equipped to do so. Court costs money, but it's less than a power trip exhaust ticket and the excursion to BAR. Don't let the thugs with badges scare you into submission. They're wrong, and they count on intimidation and your stupidity to get away with being mobsters more often than not.

'11 3.8 R-spec
post #10 of 14 Old 2 Days Ago

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Yea CA sucks sometimes. Well.. at least I've got the ARK exhaust with helm Holtz canisters and in the video at ARK it shows it being around 96 decibels or less, and I think the law in CA is 93. I've never been hasseled about my exhaust and I've deleted my second cat as well. My engine with bigger turbo is pretty loud too, but never have I been pulled over. I am in the bay area though, it always sounds like it is more strict in southern CA
post #11 of 14 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I need to test how loud mine is. It doesn't help that the sound deadening is pretty good in our cars because with my windows rolled it's hard to hear my exhaust sometimes haha. I've been pulled over before and asked to open my hood. And the cop was like yep you have the bov and a boost gauge. I was like, "Boost gauge?? What is wrong with that??" He ended up just letting me go though, luckily. This was about a year or so ago though. How do you pass smog with the bigger turbo? Or do you have a guy?

2010 Genesis 2.0T R-Spec
post #12 of 14 Old 2 Days Ago

Lol I have boost and AFR gauges too, but never questioned about that either.

Well as for the bigger turbo, I have smog coming in December and it has not been installed long at all (couple of weeks) honestly but I have drove by many cops and even drove hard by some today.. they seem to not care out here. I've also ran catless for a year with no problems and that made the turbo spool sound loud.

I put an ad up in the classifieds section but no moderator approved it yet. Which is fine because I realized I might have a tuning solution coming to me soon so I should not have posted it yet.

The turbo I just got recently... it is an OEM upgraded turbocharger. So it is an OEM turbo modified internally to have a 65mm compressor wheel which is nice. On the outside you won't know it is not truly stock so a smog inspector would never know. The key to passing smog is all in the tune which is where I am having trouble right now (hence putting It up for sale). I am working on other tuning options though to see if I can get one with working emissions monitors. My entire build is with the goal of passing smog with the exception of deleting the 2nd cat. AEM intake and intercooler are CARB legal, and now so is the mishimoto racing intercooler since 2016.

Anyhow, that is one way you can run the larger turbo with passing smog inspection. Garrett OEM location bolt-on turbos are very OEM looking and may escape an inspection if you can somehow get the heat shield back on there to help hide it, provided your tune doesn't disable emissions.

Last edited by ChiefStarBlank8; 2 Days Ago at 01:15 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 1 Hour Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I've been catless for a few years too. I'm thinking about putting my HKS BOV on the hot side since it is more hidden. I've been wanting to get a compressor upgrade as well. The one from gencoupestore went down a lot in price.

2010 Genesis 2.0T R-Spec
post #14 of 14 Old 1 Hour Ago

Yea I got mine from gencoupestore , Tim told me it was his "last Forced Performance remanufactured turbo". Its the original one they used to sell at beyond redline for 900. The current turbos are cheaper since they're supposedly not as good as they do not hold as much PSI to redline, and Forced Performance is known for their quality long lasting turbos... well that's what Tim said at least. I got my tune and injectors from Tim as well. I knew the tune had secondary O2 turned off so after i got it I sent it to Jay at SFR. He enabled all emissions and put my VIN on it but so far not all emissions monitors have set to complete. Something else seems to prevent it.

So I'm probably going to get Jay's tune and injectors instead, but I might not because I'm probably selling the genesis soon anyway.

Well if I end up selling my new turbo stuff and if you're interested just let me know.

If you put a BOV I'd recommend the stock location too, since it's not likely to get snagged in smog. My forge BOV doesn't ever get mentioned at smog check.

Last edited by ChiefStarBlank8; 55 Minutes Ago at 12:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page