Long crank after alternator replacement - Hyundai Genesis Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Long crank after alternator replacement

hello again guys, sorry for asking a lot here but my gen keeps being plagued by electrical issues lately. basically, i've installed a brand new alternator and a new battery - successfully removed the battery light sign on the dash. a week later, every morning my car gets harder and harder to start. it cranks, but waaaay to slow. today is the first time it failed to turn over on the first crank. but it did afterwards. the issue is persistent only during it's daily morning cold start - no trouble all day. i'm trying to find a list of items i need to check first before ruling the starter as the culprit:

1. new alternator last week - works fine no issues
2. new battery last month - was drained, i ran my car with a faulty alternator going home. but was recharged
3. might just check the battery connection and reattach - but everything looks good to me
3. new 150A fuse on the fusebox
4. my spark plugs hasnt been replaced since 2017 but my mechanic said they were still fine last march
5. i've recently changed my fuel to a higher octane one since last month - highly unlikely a cause
6. need change oil?
7. probably just morning moist in the engine and i should be fine with it?

i'm ruling out the starter first, just coz it's unlikely that i've had a faulty alternator AND a faulty starter all at the same time. this car has been reliable in the past and it's the first time it's acting up like this. again, my bad for asking but you guys are helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage

First I would keep the battery on a charger overnight and see if it still does it in the next morning.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

My Dad told me I should turn the other cheek... but keep my fist ready...
2011 base Auto. BK2 engine, Elite Evo 9 kit with TD06SL2R-20G 7+7 billet compressor wheel and anti surge cover, BTR stage 3 tune, 550cc injectors, fuel return line, AEM Methanol injection,CXR intercooler, full exhaust with ARK, LSD...ported heads and intake manifold...bla.bla.bla
post #3 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
I'd rather do it myself

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

If the alternator is working the voltage will be above 13.5v when the engine is running.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."

post #4 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago

Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Did you check your sleep / stand by current draw ?
This sounds like a parasitic current loos thus battery gets drained.

Just take a multi meter and check your power consumption when car is on stand by / parked.
post #5 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Did a cold start today, surprisingly my car started with no trouble and right away. All I did was:

1. Turned of the AC the night before, just so there wouldnt be alot of load on the next start
2. Before cranking the engine, I pressed the start button twice, I believe the fuel pump or relay gets activated by this. Wait for about 15 sec, turned it off then did it again. Started like new afterwards.

Maybe the pump is busted, but is there any way to check apart from the fuse? I've been using a 30+ day old gas btw since my car had problems for a month. Perhaps gas degradation is real lol.
post #6 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago

OK... first when you have this problem is it cranking fast but does not start or is is't struggling to crank ?
the description you gave made it look like slow craning and that is electrical issue / starter issue

The description you gave now is suggesting that it cranks ok just doesn't fire right away and that looks like no fuel pressure (or spark).

- Get a multi-meter search for parasitic current drop
- Get fuel pressure sensor connected to fuel rail park the car over night with pressure sensor plugged in. Check what is the pressure morning before turning anything on

Also read through service manual you will find where and how to connect pressure test sensor
post #7 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

for the past few days it gives me a long crank on a cold start, first assumed that it's another electrical issue. was actually betting on a parasitic drop and wanted to test battery and voltage like you guys said, just didn't have my multimeter to check this morning.

yes, it started right away today. after i did all the things i said before starting it. thanks man!
post #8 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by micoycoy View Post
for the past few days it gives me a long crank on a cold start, first assumed that it's another electrical issue. was actually betting on a parasitic drop and wanted to test battery and voltage like you guys said, just didn't have my multimeter to check this morning.

yes, it started right away today. after i did all the things i said before starting it. thanks man!
Still you didn't specify were the cranking rpm low / slow or normal when it cranked for long time.
post #9 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
I'd rather do it myself

Garage

Gas doesn't degrade in the tank.

The AC will not be on when trying to crank or when the engine in not running.

To test fuel pressure you have to buy an adapter to put inline between the fuel line coming from the tank to the fuel line going to the fuel rail.

And yes pushing the button a couple of times first will charge up the fuel pressure if it has bled off.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
post #10 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
br2
Bill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raspberry View Post
Gas doesn't degrade in the tank. ...
not in less than X years anyway. for looong term storage, drain it.
post #11 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)

gasoline degrades in that it eventually evaporates through the evap system, and the non volatile parts of gasoline settle and basically turns into lacquer
wouldn't worry about it unless it's been sitting for over a year, or if the tank was left with less than a 1/4 tank, then maybe 6 months.

edit: I put 60 months before instead of 6 months lol

Last edited by AKGC; 1 Week Ago at 10:13 AM.
post #12 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

@Pchelka it's within the normal range i would say. though once the engine starts after the long crank, rpm kind of go a bit low and car shakes a bit but never actually stalls. usually lasts after 1-2 secs after starting the engine. it's fine after that..
post #13 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

yes, had gassed up today anyway. will check on another cold start if it's the pressure or the parasitic drop..

thanks big time!
post #14 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
I'd rather do it myself

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by micoycoy View Post
@Pchelka it's within the normal range i would say. though once the engine starts after the long crank, rpm kind of go a bit low and car shakes a bit but never actually stalls. usually lasts after 1-2 secs after starting the engine. it's fine after that..
Dirty throttle body?

I store my car every winter for 5 months outside and don't have any issues other than I have to charge the battery once a month or disconnect it.

Snow today so the winter beater comes out.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
post #15 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think what you are describing has to do with the intake manifold. If it’s starting rough when cold them is fine after you have run it that’s the issue. I thought my push button was sticking but it was crap buildup on the intake flap. I cleaned it and it’s been perfect ever since. I now have catch cams installed to prevent this . I’m now at 175k miles
post #16 of 20 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

the problem went away after doing that pre-starting routine. should be good news but does this mean it might go worse until i get no start at all (e.g. fully dead fuel pump?)

i should be fine until my next oil change where i'll have everything checked and cleaned ( intake manifold and throttle body etc)..
post #17 of 20 Old 6 Days Ago

Look if the pre-starting routine involves priming the fuel pump couple of times...
as the old Hindu saying "do the needfull" and test the line for pressure drop...

Then pull out your fuel assembly and simply fix it.
You guys relay have it easy with parts availability in USA and fairly cheap so don't see the reason why not get it fixed
post #18 of 20 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

makes a lot of sense, will do!
post #19 of 20 Old 6 Days Ago

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)

I assume the alternator was replace because of a dying battery, that was tested good.

The car doesn't like being drained to dead. It likes having the power cut abruptly.

What I mean is, my theory is that on a drain, some parts of the computers shuts off before other.
For me, this caused a lot of weird issues when I went to start it.

I would suggest, you disconnect the battery then charge it, connect it for like 30 minutes, then disconnect it, and connect it again, just to make sure the computers are reset.
post #20 of 20 Old 3 Minutes Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

seems to be working perfectly the entire week. yea if it's the computer, might ask my mechanic if any readings come up on my next oil change this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List