Whose purchased and installed an aftermarket radiator in their 2013 2.0T, - Hyundai Genesis Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ilbxru
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-13-2015 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Whose purchased and installed an aftermarket radiator in their 2013 2.0T,

Using search I've read through some threads about after market radiators, mainly 3.8 models popped up in my search.

I've read about certain brands not fitting well in both engines, the mishimuto I recall having very bad fitment with the 2009-2012 models..in one thread, some guy had to saw away at the ends to get it to fit!

Well, I damaged my radiator and I need a new one. Trying to take advantage of this mishap and make this an upgrade instead of just replacing a broken piece. A lot of sites list that their radiators fit for 09-12 models. Don't see too many 2013 + ones.

I'm leaning towards going with Koyo, a bit pricey, but the only one I haven't heard any bad stories about BUT I haven't heard any good stories (or any at all lol) about their radiators in the 2013 2.0T.

Anywho, as the title reads, anyone whose done this, looking for feedback and some advice on a good radiator that FITS WITHOUT having to be hacked up with a saw

Thanks!
DanceswithTurbo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 01-15-2015
Member
 
CSwimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I installed a Koyo 3.8 rad in my 13 2.0 a few month ago with no big problem. The only thing you have to do is kind of custom make the lower radiator hose as it doesn't line up due to a 90 degree bend molded in the end cap of our 13+ radiators. I went to my local auto parts store and found a hose the same size as mine with a 90 degree bend and cut the bend off and matted it with my stock hose. Also the only problem i ran into was that my top radiator mounts ended up being about a half inch lower then they were suppose to so i just zip tied it for now temporarily until i make a fix but haven't yet touched it since i put my car in winter storage. Let me know if you have any other questions i can try to answer the best of my abilities.
CSwimmer is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 01-15-2015 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

After inspecting my car last night it looks like I don't need a new radiator, its the shroud fan that needs to be replaced.

Car starts to heat up while in stop n go traffic or waiting in grid for tracking. At cruise, hard or dd, coolant temp n engine Temps are fine.

The radiator is a little squished on the bottom, maybe a tiny leak, but I can patch that up. The shroud fan is cracked open n smashed in barely hanging on tho.

When u installed your radiator, I'm sure u got a good look at the fan and shroud. For installing the new shroud, I'm assuming bumper + radiator will need to come off the car in order to get room for a clean install? Or do you see any shortcuts/ways around that?

Thanks. Also - why the 3.8 koyo radiator for the 2.0 engine? U have a bigger turbo now or something?

2013 2.0T Platinum Silver M/T Base
Custom Tuned by SFR: 325 WTQ 292 WHP

Injen SRI
TurboXS-SML Hybrid BOV
PnP IM
TB Fluid & BOV By Pass
Autoshin 3" O2 Housing
ISIS 3" DP/TP
ISIS Street Cat-Back Exhaust
BLOX Type-R Shift Knob
Redline Transmission Oil (MT-85 75W85 GL4)
Quaife ATB Helical LSD
BC Racing Coilovers 12K Front 9K Rear
Whiteline 30 mm Front Sway Bar
DanceswithTurbo is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 01-15-2015
Member
 
CSwimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The Fan Shroud I took out with the car on the ground all through the engine bay and wold be easy to just take out and replace with no removal on the rad or bumper.

Im running the v6 radiator because it is what fits our cars as the old 2.0 radiator has about a 4-5 inch section out of the bottom witch was where the old BK1's intercooler was. Now that we have a front mount on the BK2 there is no need for a rad with the section cut out of the bottom so the v6 radiator is the way to go.
CSwimmer is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 01-15-2015 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

I see. Very interesting. I may send u a pm later on to go into more detail about the shroud or radiator if u don't mind.

2013 2.0T Platinum Silver M/T Base
Custom Tuned by SFR: 325 WTQ 292 WHP

Injen SRI
TurboXS-SML Hybrid BOV
PnP IM
TB Fluid & BOV By Pass
Autoshin 3" O2 Housing
ISIS 3" DP/TP
ISIS Street Cat-Back Exhaust
BLOX Type-R Shift Knob
Redline Transmission Oil (MT-85 75W85 GL4)
Quaife ATB Helical LSD
BC Racing Coilovers 12K Front 9K Rear
Whiteline 30 mm Front Sway Bar
DanceswithTurbo is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 06-24-2019
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bulverde, Texas
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Question More details please

A little revival here of an older thread, but on a current problem. I have a BK1 2011 2.0t Automatic. I am running a tsudo full turbo back exhaust, Mishimoto Race FMIC and piping, intercooler block-off plate, 525cc injectors, K&N CAI (Which looses functionality with the Mishimoto piping) and a tuned ECU from Tim at the GENCOUPE store (Formally Redline).

Problems have ensued......
Once the remapped ECU is in, two issues occur. No full throttle pulls or even passing gear without detonation. Being that I travel a many back roads, passing Sunday drivers is a common practice. If I try, unless easing into the throttle super slow, the engine gets to banging and the black cloud of death comes out the exhaust. I like the responsiveness and pull of the tune, but it is not worth loosing an engine. I'm trying to work with Tim to resolve the issue but he has been MIA for much of the last year.

This brings us to the radiator question. It gets hotter than Hades here in South Texas. Triple digits! With the stock ECD I never get hot. With the GENCOUPE tune, anything over 90 and I have to watch the temperature if I want to run the A/C. And with 100+, no a/c as the car starts getting hot in traffic. With the tune the fan runs all the time. But, it never kicks to the high-speed. I'm thinking this may be the issue. I have texted Tim but have not heard back.

Since the stock intercooler is gone, can the BK1 3.8 radiator be dropped in place of the 2.0 without modifications? Questions I have are the radiator and transmission hoses, a/c condenser,the fan shroud and the Mishimoto piping. If I stay with a stock configuration, CSF makes an Aluminum 2-Core for use with an automatic. Anyone installed one?

My apologies for wondering around on this one. I am just trying to get to the point where I can enjoy my car without hurting it in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSwimmer View Post
The Fan Shroud I took out with the car on the ground all through the engine bay and wold be easy to just take out and replace with no removal on the rad or bumper.

Im running the v6 radiator because it is what fits our cars as the old 2.0 radiator has about a 4-5 inch section out of the bottom witch was where the old BK1's intercooler was. Now that we have a front mount on the BK2 there is no need for a rad with the section cut out of the bottom so the v6 radiator is the way to go.
GtxMark is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 06-24-2019
I'd rather do it myself
 
Red Raspberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Flat lands of Illinois
Posts: 18,238
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

I put a 3.8L Koyo in my 2L. End of any overheating problems.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."
Red Raspberry is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 06-25-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtxMark View Post
A little revival here of an older thread, but on a current problem. I have a BK1 2011 2.0t Automatic. I am running a tsudo full turbo back exhaust, Mishimoto Race FMIC and piping, intercooler block-off plate, 525cc injectors, K&N CAI (Which looses functionality with the Mishimoto piping) and a tuned ECU from Tim at the GENCOUPE store (Formally Redline).

Problems have ensued......
Once the remapped ECU is in, two issues occur. No full throttle pulls or even passing gear without detonation. Being that I travel a many back roads, passing Sunday drivers is a common practice. If I try, unless easing into the throttle super slow, the engine gets to banging and the black cloud of death comes out the exhaust. I like the responsiveness and pull of the tune, but it is not worth loosing an engine. I'm trying to work with Tim to resolve the issue but he has been MIA for much of the last year.

This brings us to the radiator question. It gets hotter than Hades here in South Texas. Triple digits! With the stock ECD I never get hot. With the GENCOUPE tune, anything over 90 and I have to watch the temperature if I want to run the A/C. And with 100+, no a/c as the car starts getting hot in traffic. With the tune the fan runs all the time. But, it never kicks to the high-speed. I'm thinking this may be the issue. I have texted Tim but have not heard back.

Since the stock intercooler is gone, can the BK1 3.8 radiator be dropped in place of the 2.0 without modifications? Questions I have are the radiator and transmission hoses, a/c condenser,the fan shroud and the Mishimoto piping. If I stay with a stock configuration, CSF makes an Aluminum 2-Core for use with an automatic. Anyone installed one?

My apologies for wondering around on this one. I am just trying to get to the point where I can enjoy my car without hurting it in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSwimmer View Post
The Fan Shroud I took out with the car on the ground all through the engine bay and wold be easy to just take out and replace with no removal on the rad or bumper.

Im running the v6 radiator because it is what fits our cars as the old 2.0 radiator has about a 4-5 inch section out of the bottom witch was where the old BK1's intercooler was. Now that we have a front mount on the BK2 there is no need for a rad with the section cut out of the bottom so the v6 radiator is the way to go.
Dude you need to fix your ECU issues first. Hopefully your exhaust is heat wrapped because Texas is no joke in the summer. A black cloud means you're running too rich and your injectors dump fuel over 30% throttle. Either go back to stock ECU and fuel system or get your tune fixed.
JOutterbridge is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 06-28-2019
I'd rather do it myself
 
Red Raspberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Flat lands of Illinois
Posts: 18,238
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

The V6 OE radiator is what they went to in the BK2 for the 2L. But it is only (the BK1 one) 3/4" thick. The BK1 OE 2L radiator is something like an inch thicker near 2"

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."
Red Raspberry is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 06-30-2019
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bulverde, Texas
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOutterbridge View Post
Dude you need to fix your ECU issues first. Hopefully your exhaust is heat wrapped because Texas is no joke in the summer. A black cloud means you're running too rich and your injectors dump fuel over 30% throttle. Either go back to stock ECU and fuel system or get your tune fixed.
I've tried for about a year now to get it figured out with GENCOUPE store. He's been going through a lot from what I understand and it seems that I may just be a casualty of war. I have not given up on him yet.

Here's one issue the car wants to overheat in traffic with the tuned ECU, but the car does fine with the stock ECU. With the tune the fan is on all the time and it stays at the low speed always.

The black cloud is due to detonation. I monitor it inside the car and as soon as the detonation starts, I see the cloud and back out the back of my car and note the hits logged from my ECU monitor. Imagine how many clueless kids would just stay in the throttle and smoke the motor.
GtxMark is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 06-30-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

You do have other options man. I understand being patient but after a year you can go to another tuner. Heck, you can even get remotely tuned for a few hundred bucks. That's well worth the better driveability and saving 3k on having to replace a motor if something really goes wrong. I realize you may not have the same steep inclines or mountains but sometimes letting off the gas is not an option. You need your car to be ready and respond in those moments. It's admirable you have been that patient but I'd rather have a motor not overheat on me when I need it most:/
JOutterbridge is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 07-01-2019
I'd rather do it myself
 
Red Raspberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Flat lands of Illinois
Posts: 18,238
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtxMark View Post
I've tried for about a year now to get it figured out with GENCOUPE store. He's been going through a lot from what I understand and it seems that I may just be a casualty of war. I have not given up on him yet.

Here's one issue the car wants to overheat in traffic with the tuned ECU, but the car does fine with the stock ECU. With the tune the fan is on all the time and it stays at the low speed always.

The black cloud is due to detonation. I monitor it inside the car and as soon as the detonation starts, I see the cloud and back out the back of my car and note the hits logged from my ECU monitor. Imagine how many clueless kids would just stay in the throttle and smoke the motor.
My tune had the low speed fan on all the time too. I pulled out the relay so it never came on and installed a mechanical temp controller to turn on the hi speed fan for engine cooling. I don't think the hi speed fan is ever used for cooling from the factory. My hi speed fan will only come on for cooling if I idle for 10 minutes or so in hot weather. The controller is set on 200F.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."
Red Raspberry is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 08-12-2019
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raspberry View Post
I put a 3.8L Koyo in my 2L. End of any overheating problems.

I just wanted to add that I did the same with my 2013 BK2. I had to use a strip of aluminum to move the mounting point for the top driver-side portion of the radiator, as well as two bent door hinges as stabilizing shims lower down.


RedRaspberry's DIY write-up on the process was super useful!



No overheating issues since then
Red Raspberry likes this.

'13 2.GO

Installed
  • BTR Stage 3 w/ GT3071? (canned tune, for now)
  • ARP Head Bolts ("reusable")
  • TurboXS IC
  • Koyo's V6 Radiator
  • BC Coilovers - reasonably low
  • Varrstoen 19" (matte black)
  • Megan Racing Tranny Mount
  • test pipe & ____ 3" quad-tip exhaust
  • Fully replaced audio system

Waiting to install
  • Snow Performance Stage 2.5 Water/Meth

Broken
  • rod bearings (and likely rod) for cylinder 3
ilbxru is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Related Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone installed the 3.8L Koyo radiator? Red Raspberry 3.8 V6 Discussion 2008-2012 5 02-17-2015 04:05 PM
WTB Aftermarket Radiator Koyo/Mishimoto Thumb5 Want to Buy 3 11-21-2014 05:55 AM
Where to get aftermarket wheels installed? MySegaGenesis Wheels, Tires and Brakes 2013 and up 3 06-26-2013 12:10 PM
Has anyone purchased & installed the FNB wing grill? Cobra Jet Exterior 2008-2012 4 08-31-2011 01:16 PM


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome