Intercooler options - Hyundai Genesis Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-02-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Stas Sultanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Odessa, Ukraine
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Post Intercooler options

Thinking about changing stock intercooler, but not sure if it really makes sense.
Could not find any valuable comparison of products available on market with OEM.

So I did some research about options available on market for bk2 and made some comparison:

Stock
Dimension: 600mm x 170mm x 100mm
Frontal area: 10.2 dm^2 | 100%
Volume: 10.2 dm^3 | 100%
HP: 330 | 100.00% - I've read several times that stock is good up to 300whp, so lets say it is 330hp
CFM: 420 | 100% - don't remember where I've got this number

845 Motorsports - largest volume, highest declared HP, the largest one that fits stock place
Dimensions: 710mm x 200mm x 100mm
Frontal area: 14.2 dm^2 | 139% of stock
Volume: 14.2 dm^3 | 139% of stock
HP: 600 | 181% of stock
CFM: unknown

Tredstone / TR8 - highest declared CFM, the most closest in size to stock and at the same time declares up to 500HP
Dimensions: 560mm x 200mm x 90mm
Frontal area: 11.2 dm^2 | 110% of stock
Volume: 10.1 dm^3 | 99% of stock
HP: 500 | 151% of stock
CFM: 750 | 178% of stock

CP-E / HYCK00002B - requires crash bar modification
Dimensions: 610mm x 241mm x 83mm
Frontal area: 14.7 dm^2 | 144% of stock
Volume: 12.2 dm^3 | 120% of stock
HP: unknown
CFM: unknown

turboXS - largest frontal area, requires crash bar modification
Dimensions: 597mm x 254mm x 89mm
Frontal area: 15.2 dm^2 | 149% of stock
Volume: 13.5 dm^3 | 132% of stock
HP: unknown
CFM: unknown

as for me it looks like either stock intercooler is underrated or some manufacturers provides wrong numbers like HP

Last edited by Stas Sultanov; 10-02-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Stas Sultanov is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 10-02-2019
Senior Member
 
AKGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,776
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stas Sultanov View Post
Thinking about changing stock intercooler, but not sure if it really makes sense.
Could not find any valuable comparison of products available on market with OEM.

So I did some research about options available on market for bk2 and made some comparison:

Stock
Dimension: 600mm x 170mm x 100mm
Frontal area: 10.2 dm^2 | 100%
Volume: 10.2 dm^3 | 100%
HP: 330 | 100.00% - I've read several times that stock is good up to 300whp, so lets say it is 330hp
CFM: 420 | 100% - don't remember where I've got this number

845 Motorsports - largest volume, highest declared HP, the largest one that fits stock place
Dimensions: 710mm x 200mm x 100mm
Frontal area: 14.2 dm^2 | 139% of stock
Volume: 14.2 dm^3 | 139% of stock
HP: 600 | 181% of stock
CFM: unknown

Tredstone / TR8 - highest declared CFM, the most closest in size to stock and at the same time declares up to 500HP
Dimensions: 560mm x 200mm x 90mm
Frontal area: 11.2 dm^2 | 110% of stock
Volume: 10.1 dm^3 | 99% of stock
HP: 500 | 151% of stock
CFM: 750 | 178% of stock

CP-E / HYCK00002B - requires crash bar modification
Dimensions: 610mm x 241mm x 83mm
Frontal area: 14.7 dm^2 | 144% of stock
Volume: 12.2 dm^3 | 120% of stock
HP: unknown
CFM: unknown

turboXS - largest frontal area, requires crash bar modification
Dimensions: 597mm x 254mm x 89mm
Frontal area: 15.2 dm^2 | 149% of stock
Volume: 13.5 dm^3 | 132% of stock
HP: unknown
CFM: unknown

as for me it looks like either stock intercooler is underrated or some manufacturers provides wrong numbers like HP
Intercoolers don't "add" power, it increases the potential for the engine to make power.

How does it do this? By cooling air coming from the turbo (turbos get hot)

So what you want to look for is volume, cooling efficiency, duration of efficiency (will explain), how much pressure has it been tested for, and flow restriction.


Volume of air the heat exchanger portion can contain. Larger contributes to turbo lag.

Efficiency - With ambient air temps and outside air flow as a constant; at X temp of input air, how much has the temp dropped coming out of the other end.

Duration of efficiency - How long can it maintain that efficiency until it degrade (until it heat soaks). Guess construction can go into this as bar and plate type are less likely to heat soak, but when they do, take longer for it to cool down. Tube and fin have the opposite issue.
AKGC is online now  
post #3 of 5 Old 10-02-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Stas Sultanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Odessa, Ukraine
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
Intercoolers don't "add" power, it increases the potential for the engine to make power.

How does it do this? By cooling air coming from the turbo (turbos get hot)

So what you want to look for is volume, cooling efficiency, duration of efficiency (will explain), how much pressure has it been tested for, and flow restriction.


Volume of air the heat exchanger portion can contain. Larger contributes to turbo lag.

Efficiency - With ambient air temps and outside air flow as a constant; at X temp of input air, how much has the temp dropped coming out of the other end.

Duration of efficiency - How long can it maintain that efficiency until it degrade (until it heat soaks). Guess construction can go into this as bar and plate type are less likely to heat soak, but when they do, take longer for it to cool down. Tube and fin have the opposite issue.
Well, i know how intercooler works in general.
I just wonder how the hell Tredstone TR8 which is nearby the same in size to stock, declares up to 50% more potential HP.
I believe that all intercoolers are made by the same (or nearby) technology which should provide (nearby) the same numbers in potential HP for example.
Stas Sultanov is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 Old 10-02-2019
Senior Member
 
AKGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,776
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stas Sultanov View Post
Well, i know how intercooler works in general.
I just wonder how the hell Tredstone TR8 which is nearby the same in size to stock, declares up to 50% more potential HP.
I believe that all intercoolers are made by the same (or nearby) technology which should provide (nearby) the same numbers in potential HP for example.
It's marketing and nobody bothers to test it.

As I said before, intercoolers don't add power.
If it did, then window home AC units would have 1 hp coming from a half hp motor; and your car would have 350 hp because it has 5 heat exchangers running on the same principle (radiator, condenser, evaporator, intercooler, heater core)

It's the same marketing crap that they do with air filters. If an air filter is advertised to "give" 5 hp, then theoretically, running no filter will give you more.... It doesn't work like that.
AKGC is online now  
post #5 of 5 Old 10-03-2019
Senior Member
 
Gaijinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Indianapolis In
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)

What he said^^^^^. T kits.com's Fmic is specifically jigged, dyno tested, flow tested. For their kit and turbo assortments. That is how it should be.

The horsepower/tune begets the need for a larger , blah blah fmic. Not the other way around.

Here we go again !
Gaijinn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome