Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

BTR Stage 1 Tune

12K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  JOutterbridge 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got my BTR Stage 1 Tune today and I could not be happier. Having full boost at a lower oil temp is SO much nicer, especially when exploiting gaps in traffic. The best part has to be the increase in power across the whole power band. It feels strong but it also feels safe. I do not fee like i am pushing the limits of the engine with this tune. I am sure that i will eventually go to the stage 2 tune, but for now I am more than happy.

Also big props to Bill at BTR. He is on point, very knowledgeable, and represents the company very well. Best customer service I've seen in a while.

Mod List:

BTR Stage 1 Tune
Turbo XS Catless Race-pipe
Turbo XS GT CBE
Synapse BOV w/ Charge Pipe
Colder plugs
R2C Performance Intake
Prosport Evo Wideband AFR
Prosport Evo Boost Gauge
Prosport Evo Oil Temp Gauge
JC 3 Port Piller Pod
18x8.5 Enkei Raijin Front
18x9.5 Enkei Raijin Back

Soon to come:

Oil Catch Can
Depo O2 Housing
Limited Slip Diff
BC Coilovers

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad to hear. I am getting my Stage 1 tune on Saturday at the Arlington BTR tune event here in Texas.

#3 ·
#7 ·
Yes sir. I eventually want to step up to it, but for now I'm very happy. Not a single issue yet.

#4 ·
BTR will not do stage 2 unless the primary cat is eliminated.

#5 ·
Very nice man, I'll be moving into Stage 1 territory very soon. What is your AFR reading by the way?

#6 ·
Prosport EVO Guage with Bosch wideband sensor.

#9 ·
don't get the Depo O2 :X
Go with AST or wait for TurboXS

#10 ·
Whats the boost pressure with the stage 1 tune?

I am interested in this tune, but worried about the plastic manifold and increasing boost levels.

Duro

#14 ·
Your not getting boost cut at 26psi?

#19 ·
Sorry to rehash an older topic

I've recently been monitoring my car with the torque app (pro sport gauges should be arriving in a few days/week). I've noticed my peak boost hitting 32 psi just about every time I WOT and constant boost of 28 psi+... this number makes me a little nervous. Truthfully any boost over 28-30psi on this motor(stock) makes me a little uncomfortable.

Any thoughts? I am running of BTR stage 1 custom tune with a hi flow o2 cats and 3 inch downpipe to stock cat back. Dyno numbers of 301hp and 348 tq.

Caz

Edit: I did not want to start a new thread for this, so I placed it under this one.

#20 ·
Edit: I did not want to start a new thread for this, so I placed it under this one.
You did exactly what everyone else should do. That is what these threads are for. This way all the info is in one spot.

That boost seems a bit high and I almost wonder if something isn't reading right. I don't think the stock turbo is very efficient at that level of boost through the entire power band. What are your AFR's?

#21 · (Edited)
32psi does seem a bit high............................border line dangerious.

I would think that something is reading wrong or the tune isn't right.

I would be hooking up a known good mechanical guage and going for another drive to see whats wrong (tune or gauge).

This is why a set of known good mechanical gauges are always nice to have, it eliminates headaches and helps in your diagnosis.

Duro

#22 ·
how accurate is the torque app for logging information? When I get back into town i'll reconnect the ODB and log some info, possibly post a video of a couple runs with the torque app display. I'll try and have it posted this week. I feel these numbers to be kind of alarming.

Edit: For the boost adjustment do we use the difference in psi or the psi for my altitude? Example: The psi for my altitude is 14.358736, would I use this number or the difference in psi (14.358736-14.7 = -0.341264)?

#23 ·
To adjust boost gauge in torque pro, connect the program to the car ecu, turn the key, but don't start the engine, first position I think. Then adjust the boost in the setting menu with different numbers till the gauge reads 0.

Mine is -0.15. Yours will probably be different.

#26 ·
I sent in my ECU Monday. Still waiting to get it back. Havnt gotten any emails or phone calls from btr. I called them Tuesday to make sure it was received. Hopefully they will send it out today or early tomorrow so I can take the genny to Texas this weekend............ Can't wait to see what it's like tuned.

Do or do not. There is no try.

#31 · (Edited)
Don't want to start a new thread. As a note the radiator fan doesn't run at max all the time. It actually changes with RPM so on cold startup it is very loud as many people noted. Stock tune I was logging up to 19 psi on a fully stock car. With a canned tune it hits 20 to 21. Not much more power but it is smoother down low and up top to make it feel faster. Timing barely changed. (8-10) Although it's possible that's due to intake temps? Mine range from 99 to 140 when the car is warmed up. Is there a way to fix that? It does feel much better when cold but I try not to boost hard until temps are over 150. Gas mileage sucks for now as I log things. It seems that with the 1 step colder spark plugs, they fouled within one day and are pitch black from carbon. 1 week didnt change that. Only cylinder number 4 isnt completely fouled, it seems to be just in the right heat range. The old plugs were the opposite before I changed them. 1 to 3 were perfect heat range, and 4 looked like it was too hot and near detonation. So is it worth changing back to the stock heat range to gain back 5mpg city? Or is it too risky since in the summer cylinder 4 runs super hot and I may get detonation:/

#32 · (Edited)
Upon further testing vs other ecu's it seems my gas mileage is 4 mpg worse on average. Spark plugs 3 and 4 are just in the right heat range, 1 and 2 are fouled but not horribly. I wont change them out in fear of losing the engine, maybe in the winter because idle at low RPM is slightly worse.

Did my first long drive test on a 100 degree day, intake temps were about 115 while moving at 75mph. Rose to 150 while in stop and go traffic. Takes a while to drop back down:/ Oil temps were highest I've seen. Stock gauge showing between 225 and 250 most of the trip with AC on. Once speed dropped below 45 mph the temps dropped back to around 200°F within minutes. Oddly enough my radio screen and dash started dimming randomly but I think that's a separate issue. And for summer power, I was at a track and raced my brothers BK1 auto that is tuned. Surprisingly my power wasnt much more than his, maybe 5 or 10whp more. Starting from 0 we were equal through 60. Finally started pulling a few inches ahead between the top of third and going into 4th. My first race with perfect shifts 1-2-3 that equaled the auto made it worth it. I'm just shocked it doesnt make more HP but a turbo back exhaust would change that if it wasn't for emissions reasons. Feels good enough for the streets though so I can't complain much. Also i have to turn my TC off much more frequently due to bumpy roads. More sensitive pedal to throttle response does NOT make things better around corners or on bad roads so be careful. The jerking makes it feel like the car is falling apart it's so horrible :X

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.