Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Drive Shaft Flex Discs

61K views 220 replies 55 participants last post by  Duro5341 
#1 ·
Good news...

Found that my flex discs (sometimes called Guibos) on the end of my propeller (drive) shaft are cracking and it is time to replace them. This is good in that I caught it before a major failure.

Bad news...

Hyundai, unlike Mercedes, BMW, etc., does not sell these wear item flex discs on there own. You must buy the entire propeller shaft to the tune of $800-$1200 depending on where you go to get it.

Perfect...thanks Hyundai...

Trying to see if I can find one from another platform that is the same size to use or if there is a company that makes these that I can contact about getting into our market to make them for the Gen Coupe.

#103 ·
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

In that same vein though, there are far more Gens racing on stock guibos without failure.

And to play devil's advocate, I have heard of one instance where a bone stock Gen destroyed their guibo while launching at the strip.

Even you have to concede that the OE center support bearing was not designed to handle that kind of load.

#106 ·
I'll have the new one in my hands Wed or Thursday.
...Missed the FedEx man today and I have to go grab it from the depot.
I'm hoping to install it on Saturday and I'll post up some comparison picks of it vs oem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#109 ·
They work boys and girls!
Perfect fit.
New one is on top.

(excuse the **** cell phone pics)

#110 ·
If you still have the old one, could you grab some measurements for me, please?

I get some conflicting data between what that website listed in it's charts for various vehicles and the guibos I sell that I know fit those applications.

If you could measure where the red lines are, that would be a great help.

#111 ·
Sorry I dont have the old one any longer.
If it helps, the holes on the new one lined up perfectly with the old.

#112 ·
It was mentioned that it's the same manufacturer as the OEM...not sure about that because I'm pretty sure the OEM one says made in Korea, whereas the Powertrain Industries one says Made in Germany. I actually bought two of them just in case I need the other one in the future.

#124 ·
I was the one that said that because I called at PowerTrain Industries and they told me they were the OEM supplier for Hyundai. If you look closely on your OEM guibo, the code GAH04-005 appears on it. Same code as the one listed on their website. I didn't see made in Korea,at least, on minr! But the code did appeared!

#113 ·
^
PI was mistaken.
These do say made in Germany.
They are made to OEM spec, not OEM to Hyundai.
They do work perfectly though.
Thanks again for the hook up +MM+

#115 ·
Highly worth the minimal investment.
I've noticed that my driveline vibration above 120 km/h has disappeared after swapping out my cracking disc

#117 ·
I haven't checked to see about the condition of mine, but could these discs deteriorating be the cause of steering wheel vibrations, similar to what AMBCoupe said? At about 60-65 mph I get some steering wheel vibrations. It used to be terrible, but I had an alignment and wheel balance done yesterday and it feels better, but not perfect. Wondering if swapping my discs out would eliminate that last little bit of annoyance.

#118 ·
Can't say for sure if these would be related.
My vibration and noise was coming from the driveshaft / rear diff. Almost like it was out of balance at a certain speed or rpm.
I had no felt vibration in the steering wheel.

#120 ·
Hmmm...any thoughts on what else could cause my vibrations? I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to driveline and suspension.

#122 ·
#128 ·
Great read but subbed for more!

#130 ·
Mine were made in Germany.
Were perfect fitment to OEM

#132 ·
A number of us have been dealing with Powertrain Industries to get replacement discs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.