Engine Flush/Dirty Oil?? - Page 2 - Hyundai Genesis Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 01-22-2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamersk View Post
This makes sense. Would that relate to why we shouldnt use injector cleaners and stuff like that in the fuel?
I don't see a problem with using injector cleaners and other additives in the fuel as long as it's done in moderation and for a specific reason. I will occasionally add fuel injector cleaner to my gas when I fill up. I don't know how much it helps, but I figure it can't hurt. But fuel goes through your car relatively quickly and in that short time (300-400 miles depending on mpg), it usually can't do much harm even if something's wrong with it. You have to be more careful with the oil. It stays in your car for 1000's of miles and the how much wear and tear your car endures during that time is directly dependent on how well the oil is doing its job. Screw with it too much and you could be decreasing the life of your car by 1000's to 10,000s of miles. And the worst part is that you might not even know it until your engine comes to a screeching and permanent stop. If the fuel is bad, you will probably know it - runs rough, pings, knocks, stutters, CELs, etc, but problematic oil doesn't give you those kinds of indications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 02-06-2014
MrGenesis 2012 2.0TGC BLK

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenRob View Post
i was thinking about this and wondering if it would help at all and act like a flush.

1) run the car for a bit, to temp
2) drain the oil
3) fill with a cheaper oil or oil of your choice,
4) run the car again to temp or maybe a day
5) do the oil again back to your oil of choice

Would this help at all or jsut be a waste of time, money nad oil??

Also can you drain the oil from a turbo like that when its at temp? i have done it before on my car but it wastna turbo, i know were collant cooled as well but jsut wodnering
anyone have answers to my questions?
post #23 of 30 Old 02-06-2014
I'd rather do it myself

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
anyone have answers to my questions?
What are you trying to flush out? I think it's a waste of time.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."

post #24 of 30 Old 02-06-2014
Advenio Pariter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Garage

I always change my oil when it is hot. With modern oils unless they were left in a log time you should not have a sludge problem. At most run a good synthetic like M1 EP or Pennzoil Ultra and shorten the drain interval once. A sludge cleaner I think is kerosene and I would not want that running through my turbo even though the engine is running only at idle. Like Red suggested, what are you trying to flush out or what do you suspect? I have not put anything in my oil since my '70's V-8 days were over.

2011 Base 2.0T, 5AT
Trunk Lip Spoiler
Fog Lights
Rear Wing Badge / Blackened Front Logo
Garage Line 22mm Rear Sway Bar
Uniq Rigid Collars
Saikou Michi Catch Can - Intake
JEGS Oil Separator - Turbo
Dynamat Hoodliner
Infinity Kappa 62.11 Door and Rear Speakers
Warranty: New Tails
Non-maintenance: 2 idler pullys

2013 Elantra GT, 6AT (hers)

-- previous rides --
Salsa Red 2004 Vibe GT 6MT
Dark Red Pearl 1991 Stealth R/T 5MT
post #25 of 30 Old 02-06-2014
MrGenesis 2012 2.0TGC BLK

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raspberry View Post
What are you trying to flush out? I think it's a waste of time.
not trying to flush anything just wondering if this was a reasonable alternative to using a "flush"n which i do not and would not ever use, or if its just a waste of oil and money

was just wondering for those people that complain of having really dark oil if this was an alternative to a flush addix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsukubaRed_PA View Post
I always change my oil when it is hot. With modern oils unless they were left in a log time you should not have a sludge problem. At most run a good synthetic like M1 EP or Pennzoil Ultra and shorten the drain interval once. A sludge cleaner I think is kerosene and I would not want that running through my turbo even though the engine is running only at idle. Like Red suggested, what are you trying to flush out or what do you suspect? I have not put anything in my oil since my '70's V-8 days were over.
i would never run a cleaner through the engine oil either, i agree they work, but in some ways they work to well and then can clog all your bearings and or small oil passage ways with whatever you just pulled out
post #26 of 30 Old 02-07-2014 Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
not trying to flush anything just wondering if this was a reasonable alternative to using a "flush"n which i do not and would not ever use, or if its just a waste of oil and money

was just wondering for those people that complain of having really dark oil if this was an alternative to a flush addix

i would never run a cleaner through the engine oil either, i agree they work, but in some ways they work to well and then can clog all your bearings and or small oil passage ways with whatever you just pulled out
I guess i would say just use a different oil if your not already, I use quaker state.. But Penzoil ultra is good same with royal purple. Maybe change how often you change it.. Oil in turbo's is suppose to be a dark..
post #27 of 30 Old 02-07-2014 Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
I guess i would say just use a different oil if your not already, I use quaker state.. But Penzoil ultra is good same with royal purple. Maybe change how often you change it.. Oil in turbo's is suppose to be a dark..
Also Amzoil is reaaally good too with an Amzoil filter but its pricey
post #28 of 30 Old 02-07-2014
I'd rather do it myself

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

Dark oil is not necessarily harmful. It is just microscopic carbon or soot. So small it is smaller than what the oil filter will filter. <20 microns (0.000787402") usually. Way smaller than the bearing clearance.

The different 2L bearing clearances based on bearing color. I assume the 3.8L is similar.

Blue
1.517 ~ 1.520mm
(0.0597 ~ 0.0598in.)

Black
1.514 ~ 1.517mm
(0.0596 ~ 0.0597in.)

None
1.511 ~ 1.514mm
(0.0595 ~ 0.0596in.)

Green
1.508 ~ 1.511mm
(0.0594 ~ 0.0595in.)

Yellow
1.505 ~ 1.508mm
(0.0593 ~ 0.0594in.)

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."
post #29 of 30 Old 02-07-2014
Advenio Pariter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Garage

My understanding is that when the oil is a bit dirty it is doing it's job. The first time I ran Pennzoil Ultra it got dirty fast. That is a good thing. It was doing it's job. I use Hyundai OEM filters and I am religious about my oil changes.

2011 Base 2.0T, 5AT
Trunk Lip Spoiler
Fog Lights
Rear Wing Badge / Blackened Front Logo
Garage Line 22mm Rear Sway Bar
Uniq Rigid Collars
Saikou Michi Catch Can - Intake
JEGS Oil Separator - Turbo
Dynamat Hoodliner
Infinity Kappa 62.11 Door and Rear Speakers
Warranty: New Tails
Non-maintenance: 2 idler pullys

2013 Elantra GT, 6AT (hers)

-- previous rides --
Salsa Red 2004 Vibe GT 6MT
Dark Red Pearl 1991 Stealth R/T 5MT
post #30 of 30 Old 02-07-2014
슈퍼 쿠페 ^_^

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Royal Purple is a performance oil, not a longevity oil.
If used over long term on the GC (I'm being specific here) it can cause the cylinder walls to become polished (several people have had this happen) and that causes a loss of compression, power and costs a butt ton to fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement