LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-14-2016 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Power Steering fluid flush on gen coupe

I have a question about the power steering fluid replacement process on a '10 Gen Coupe 3.8 auto (if it matters) - After removing the return hose on the PS reservoir and draining the system, the reservoir drain inlet needs to be plugged before refilling it. Does anyone know what size of plug is needed to plug the reservoir inlet? I'm guessing I can pick up plug/cap from HomeDepot.

I know I could just reattach the return hose and then refill, but I want to see fresh fluid run out before I close the system off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-15-2016
Korean Asswhoopin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)

drain it from the line connection on the driver's side lower subframe area. don't bother pulling lines off the reservoir. Use Pentosin CHF 202

2010 Grey Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track - Beyond Redline - Haltech and BW EFR 7064 - 385 whp and 345 wtq (SOLD)

2017 VW Golf R "Daily"
post #3 of 20 Old 06-15-2016

SUN★WORKS

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb5 View Post
drain it from the line connection on the driver's side lower subframe area. don't bother pulling lines off the reservoir. Use Pentosin CHF 202
Last time I did mine, I pulled the lines and took the reservoir off the car to wash it out. Had quite a bit of dirt on the mesh screen inside the res. I believe there was a TSB out about it at one point.

Sponsored by:
TurboXS / Competition Clutch / GarageLine / Corbeau Seats / General Tire / KDM Racing

[email protected] on street tires!
[email protected] -Quickest pass to date
475WHP/363wtq

post #4 of 20 Old 06-15-2016
Korean Asswhoopin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)

Yea that's a good idea. Usually you are supposed to replace the reservoir but that works too. I flushed and drained mine a few times with a machine

2010 Grey Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track - Beyond Redline - Haltech and BW EFR 7064 - 385 whp and 345 wtq (SOLD)

2017 VW Golf R "Daily"
post #5 of 20 Old 06-15-2016 Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look for the line connectors. You wouldnt happen to have any pictures or diagrams? Im not that familiar with the PS system yet.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-15-2016
I'd rather do it myself

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen10-38 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look for the line connectors. You wouldnt happen to have any pictures or diagrams? Im not that familiar with the PS system yet.
I do mine where the loop cooler "was" located on the drivers side in front of the radiator. I also put in a Magnifine filter.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."
post #7 of 20 Old 06-19-2016 Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

anyone know what size is the PS return hose (inner diameter)? In case I decide to use the service manual method.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-19-2016
I'd rather do it myself

Garage

3/8" will do. Probably 10mm hose?

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
post #9 of 20 Old 06-21-2016 Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raspberry View Post
3/8" will do. Probably 10mm hose?
thanks will give it a try.
post #10 of 20 Old 06-27-2016 Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Question about the service manual bleeding procedure -- After filling the reservoir with new fluid it says to jack up front wheels and then crank the engine 1-2 times without starting it.

Is it possible to crank the engine without starting it with an electronic push button starter?

After looking at the PS system it looks like disconnecting it at the loop cooler makes the most sense. Awesome help!
post #11 of 20 Old 06-27-2016
I'd rather do it myself

Garage

You can pull the ignition fuse and crank it for no start.

As far as the PS system like you suggest, I've found the entire PS system will drain by just pulling off the cooler. I just refill the reservoir, start it up and top it off.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
post #12 of 20 Old 06-28-2016 Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Excellent ideas.

Thanks
post #13 of 20 Old 06-07-2017
2010 GC 3.8 Track 6MT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Is Pentosin CHF 202 the same as Hyundai PSF-3? Any good sources for the PS fluid?

I have much to learn about my GenCoupe yet. I want to change the PS fluid as mine looks pretty dark. I need to find the ignition fuse and also where the PS cooler is located.

"the entire PS system will drain by just pulling off the cooler".. I assume you mean the return line from the cooler to the PS fluid reservoir?

I have a MityVac 7201 and have used it in the past on my Hondas to suck out PS fluid from the reservoir as well as suck old fluid out of the return line. I don't know if this will work well with the GenCoupe or not.

As dark as the fluid appears on the GenCoupe, I'm considering simply replacing the reservoir with a new part and connecting the hoses back up. I assume the reservoir is simple to replace.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-07-2017
I'd rather do it myself

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Is Pentosin CHF 202 the same as Hyundai PSF-3? Any good sources for the PS fluid?

I have much to learn about my GenCoupe yet. I want to change the PS fluid as mine looks pretty dark. I need to find the ignition fuse and also where the PS cooler is located.

"the entire PS system will drain by just pulling off the cooler".. I assume you mean the return line from the cooler to the PS fluid reservoir?

I have a MityVac 7201 and have used it in the past on my Hondas to suck out PS fluid from the reservoir as well as suck old fluid out of the return line. I don't know if this will work well with the GenCoupe or not.

As dark as the fluid appears on the GenCoupe, I'm considering simply replacing the reservoir with a new part and connecting the hoses back up. I assume the reservoir is simple to replace.

No the CHF 202 is not the same as the PSF-3 which BTW has been superseded by PSF-4. I got mine from Amazon but O'reilly's has it a little cheaper.

You take the hose off the PS cooler pipe under the bumper. Actually under the engine near the subframe the pipe goes to hose on the drivers side, The fluid is dark green to start so it will always look dark.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
post #15 of 20 Old 06-07-2017
2010 GC 3.8 Track 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raspberry View Post
No the CHF 202 is not the same as the PSF-3 which BTW has been superseded by PSF-4. I got mine from Amazon but O'reilly's has it a little cheaper.

You take the hose off the PS cooler pipe under the bumper. Actually under the engine near the subframe the pipe goes to hose on the drivers side, The fluid is dark green to start so it will always look dark.
Thanks. I'm used to PS fluid being nearly colorless. Can you reach the PS cooler pipe from the top? And on the reservoir, which is the inlet and which is the outlet? Top or bottom in either case?

If PSF-3 and CHF202 are not the same, is it safe to assume they are compatible?
post #16 of 20 Old 06-07-2017
I'd rather do it myself

Garage

The CHF 202 is what you need but I would not mix it with what is there.

You can get to the lines by taking the front of the fender liner loose from the bumper and the hoses curve around the radiator to go to the cooler pipe.

I'm thinking this is stock. I have an inline filter in the hose now and a different cooler.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
post #17 of 20 Old 06-07-2017
2010 GC 3.8 Track 6MT

Hmm. I see you have the turbo 4. I have the 3.8 V6. I wonder if they are different in this regard?

Edit: I just noticed in the Factory Service Manual (the copy I d/l) that it specifies Pentosis CHF202. (vs the OM specifying PSF-3). Ergo, I have no clue what is in there now.

FSM:

OM (that I downloaded):

OM (book that the PO ordered for me... says 2010 Genesis Coupe on the front cover) calls for PSF-3 for the power steering fluid!

What to believe?

Last edited by speedlever; 06-07-2017 at 12:07 PM.
post #18 of 20 Old 06-07-2017
I'd rather do it myself

Garage

I'm sure the PS cooler set up is. It's the exact same as on my '08 Accent.

The return line should be clamped somewhere at the front to the subframe by the rack on the drivers side. The hi pressure side would have a flared hard connection.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
post #19 of 20 Old 06-07-2017
2010 GC 3.8 Track 6MT

In a similar vein, I downloaded a copy of the maintenance schedule for the GenCoupe from the Hyundai site, and it is appreciably different from what the maintenance schedule in the book calls for.

One specific difference is that the d/l schedule calls for the fuel tank air filter (whatever that is) to be replaced every 30k miles. The book says simply to inspect every 30k miles and there is no replacement call out.

The book in my hand calls out for the valve clearances to be checked every 60k miles (and like Honda, check for excessive tappet noise... which seems bassackwards to me. Loose valves should be noisy. Tight valves should be quiet. I'm thinking tight valves are worse than loose valves).

So not sure what to think about the conflicting info I have that seems to be from official sources.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-09-2017
2010 GC 3.8 Track 6MT

I changed out the old PSF a couple of days ago. I simply used my MityVac and sucked out the old PSF from the reservoir, then cranked the steering wheel (engine off and the front wheels off the ground) lock to lock several times and sucked out additional fluid from the reservoir. I should have pulled off the bottom (return) hose and stuck my MV suction line in that and tried to pull some more fluid out, but didn't for some reason. Just lazy, I guess.

I filled the reservoir with fresh CHF202, cranked the steering wheel back and forth to try and work some fluid into the system and topped off the reservoir again. No issues. I'm sure I left some old fluid in there as I only used about 85% of the can of fluid. But it seems to work normally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement