Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Intermittent starting problem

9K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  InTheAirTonight 
#1 ·
Pushbutton AT GT will not start- brake pedal issue?

My Brake pedal was so stiff Friday afternoon that my car would not start (Pushbutton/GT AT). Brake lights will not even come on. Wound up using Hyundai Roadside to tow car to dealership. Has anyone else with Pushbutton Start been unable to start their car because of the same issue? Dealership Service Dept cannot look into issue until Monday.

I searched to see if others have reported the same issue, but only found 2 dealing with brakes. Nothing in the Manual except that I had to use the Shift Lock to place car in N since I could not shift out of P.

#2 ·
Last month I took my car to Houston to get a canned tune. Jay took the ECU off and did the reflash, when they installed the ECU back the car would not start. The brake was stiff like you say. Jay had to put the stock reflash back on the ECU and there is a fuse that had blown. Once the fuse was replaced it worked fine. You might check that. It had nothing to do with the brake.

#3 ·
I've had this happen a couple of times. You just really need to force the pedal down as hard as you can. At least that's what I did to get it started. But yea, this is not the first push button start car I have owned, it's just the first one that has had this problem. Thanks Hyundai.

#4 ·
Ya sometimes the brake pedal is extremely stiff and you really need to apply pressure to start it. If you cant press the pedal hard enough to start the car or the brake switch fails, all you need to do is press and hold the start button for like 20-30 seconds. It's a built in failsafe, it over rides the brake safety switch and the car starts......

#6 ·
I had the same problem on my 3.8 Track. Failure to start was caused by a defective brake light switch. Dealer replaced the switch and it has been fine since then.

#8 ·
I have the same issue... but even without a hard brake pedal, I can't start the car sometimes. I went to the dealer, they didn't have time, but said they saw a lot of issues with GenCoupe and Gen 4-door with the switch on the brake pedal.

Hold in the start button for about 10 seconds. It will override the brake switch. Since I've learned this, I haven't been back to the dealer... need to do it sometime, but I can always start it now.

The no-start thing happens about 1 out of every 5-10 times for me.

#11 ·
I have a 3.8GT with an automatic and it has stranded me for the second time. The first time I got a jump start and it started fine and ran fine. Got home and tried to restart it thinking it wouldn't start because the battery was probably shot. Nope starts and runs perfect for the next two months.

Then all of a sudden it happens again so instead of jump starting it I have Hyundai roadside come pick it up and drop it off at the dealer that night. The next morning rolls around and I call the dealership to tell them what's up and they call me back in about an hour telling me it starts and runs just fine. WTF.

Of course they can't duplicate the problem so they cant fix it. Everything checks out just fine, no codes or any other issues.

Has anyone else had this issue. You get in and go to push the brake in to hit the starter button and the brake is super stiff and the start button just cycles through some dash lights and does nothing in the way of even trying to start the car.

Any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.