Mobil 1 5W-20 Full Synthetic Oil Analysis Results (4.5K miles; 55K miles overall) - Hyundai Genesis Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-27-2018 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mobil 1 5W-20 Full Synthetic Oil Analysis Results (4.5K miles; 55K miles overall)

I just got my oil sample analysis report from Blackstone Labs for my 2012 3.8L V6 with ~55K miles. This sample was Mobil 1 5W-20 full synthetic oil with 4,571 miles on it using the OEM filter. I definitely realize it's a short interval for synthetic, but I'm staying in line with the service schedule in the manual while it's in the warranty period.

Prior to this sample, I'd always done oil changes on schedule at the Hyundai dealership using whatever 5w-20 conventional oil they use (Quaker State I believe??). This past year I've been learning a lot about doing basic maintenance and repairs and decided to start changing my own oil with full synthetic and OEM filter. I love how easy my Fumoto valve makes this. I figured I'd send a sample to the lab to see how the engine was doing for kicks.

The first part of the engines life saw a lot of highway miles for weekday commutes, but the second half was mainly local driving in a lot of stop and go traffic. The car is pretty much stock and I don't track it, though I like to push it on the highway when I can.

I plan to run the Mobil 1 5W-20 at least for the near future (yay rebate). Comments and thoughts are welcome!

Last edited by sa41; 06-27-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-27-2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)

Good job, dude. I suggest getting the TBN tested next time so you can start figuring out the optimal drain interval for your particular vehicle. Good to see someone else doing UOA's as well but just be prepared for the 3,000 mile oil change fanboys and those who will tell you Mobil 1 is bad oil. I've tried all types of filters besides the OEM ones and have yet to encounter any sort of hydraulic lifter ticking after startup that was supposedly an issue, and they've all done a seemingly equal job when comparing the insoluble numbers and all from the UOA's. My favorite oil I've tried though is still Castrol Edge EP - for some reason I just feel like it's smoother than everything else though I can't really prove that or tell.

I am currently running Walmart's SuperTech 5w20 synthetic in my 2010 3.8 with a Fram filter simply because those are the two most hated and doubted brands, and I plan on doing a UOA around the same mileage as the standard Mobil 1 UOA I did a while ago for a comparison. Here are the past few UOA's I've done on mine. The one with the slightly high aluminum count from a few years ago was Pennzoil Ultra, which I won't be using again.

post #3 of 13 Old 06-28-2018
br2
Bill

Quoted: 137 Post(s)

as a fanboy... nothing wrong with your high fallutin, new fangled stuff...
main advantage from frequent oil change is keeping on top of anything going on under the hood.
if you're keeping up with that, that's what matters.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-28-2018 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I should also mention that the Hyundai OEM oil filter is literally just a Mahle OX 351D filter. Didn't realize that until I opened the box and saw the labeling on the actual filter. They go for $3.81 on RockAuto compared to the OEM branded ones that are $9 online and even more at the dealership service department.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa41 View Post
I should also mention that the Hyundai OEM oil filter is literally just a Mahle OX 351D filter. Didn't realize that until I opened the box and saw the labeling on the actual filter. They go for $3.81 on RockAuto compared to the OEM branded ones that are $9 online and even more at the dealership service department.
Yeah, pretty sure it just says Mahle on it. Manufacturers just piece together vehicles with off the shelf parts and that happened to be the one they chose to be OEM. I like the Purolator PureOne filters based on their filter media, the Mobil 1 filters are like $15-20 so I can't justify that, but so far I haven't been able to tell a difference based on the UOA's.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-28-2018 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal1ty17 View Post
Yeah, pretty sure it just says Mahle on it. Manufacturers just piece together vehicles with off the shelf parts and that happened to be the one they chose to be OEM. I like the Purolator PureOne filters based on their filter media, the Mobil 1 filters are like $15-20 so I can't justify that, but so far I haven't been able to tell a difference based on the UOA's.
Yeah, I'm not sure why Mobil 1's filters are so damn expensive. I noticed that they don't even carry them at most chain auto places. I took a pic of the Hyundai OEM/Mahle filter in case anyone wants to see.

post #7 of 13 Old 06-28-2018

Quoted: 243 Post(s)

Yea i figured out the Mahle OX351D thing pretty quick myself and same filter in the Beck/Arnley box, it still stamped Mahle OX351D. I found a bunch online for like 2 bucks each. Im real curious how the Super Tech 5W20 holds up, its what I use in my other 4 vehicles that get much more mileage than my coupe. Ive read that its actually pretty good stuff and havent had any issues yet.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvdukerider View Post
Yea i figured out the Mahle OX351D thing pretty quick myself and same filter in the Beck/Arnley box, it still stamped Mahle OX351D. I found a bunch online for like 2 bucks each. Im real curious how the Super Tech 5W20 holds up, its what I use in my other 4 vehicles that get much more mileage than my coupe. Ive read that its actually pretty good stuff and havent had any issues yet.
Gimme about 1.5-2 months and I'll have 6k or so on it then send out a sample. And I promise I won't baby it.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-28-2018 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Gimme about 1.5-2 months and I'll have 6k or so on it then send out a sample. And I promise I won't baby it.

Looking forward to seeing the UOA for your Supertech. Right now it makes more sense to me to just stick with Mobil 1 while I can get a full year's supply of it at Walmart during the rebate period (comes out to $12 I think for 5 quarts). If I had more than 1 car in my garage, I'd definitely be giving Supertech a look.

Part of me is wary of anything Walmart branded due to past experiences with some of their other products and general philosophy of sacrificing quality in favor of increasing profit margins. Ultimately, I'll reserve judgement and see what the lab says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvdukerider View Post

Any idea what the shelf life of an oil filter is, if there even is one? I've been keeping them in my garage in Texas for the last 3 months, but I should probably move them inside out of the humidity and away from dust. I plan to order in bulk next time I get something else at RockAuto.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-28-2018

The SuperTech oil is made by Warren Distribution which is just a company that is licensed to blend lots of products, SuperTech is just the oil Walmart has them blend and slaps their name on it. They're also licensed to manufacture products from companies like Gumout (think fuel injector cleaners, etc), Craftsman OE oil, etc. They meet all the same API and GF specs as other oils so it's good to go.

As far as a shelf life, I can't imagine them really going bad as long as they don't get wet or anything.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-28-2018 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
The SuperTech oil is made by Warren Distribution which is just a company that is licensed to blend lots of products, SuperTech is just the oil Walmart has them blend and slaps their name on it. They're also licensed to manufacture products from companies like Gumout (think fuel injector cleaners, etc), Craftsman OE oil, etc. They meet all the same API and GF specs as other oils so it's good to go.

As far as a shelf life, I can't imagine them really going bad as long as they don't get wet or anything.
Thanks for the info, that is good to know. It would be interesting to see a virgin oil analysis of SuperTech to compare to other common brands to see differences in additives and starting TBN. It's probably out there somewhere on bobistheoilguy. I wouldn't be interested enough to spend $28 doing that on my own though lol.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa41 View Post
Thanks for the info, that is good to know. It would be interesting to see a virgin oil analysis of SuperTech to compare to other common brands to see differences in additives and starting TBN. It's probably out there somewhere on bobistheoilguy. I wouldn't be interested enough to spend $28 doing that on my own though lol.
I found the 0w20 High Mileage tested by the PQIA. http://pqiadata.org/SuperTech_HM_SYN_0W20.html

Here is the link to a virgin oil analysis database so you can compare lots of them if you want. PQIA PCMO Sample Summary List

And a link showing the PDF form from Warren Distribution about their SuperTech 5w30 synthetic with all of the certifications and standards it meets. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...h_Synthetic_sp
post #13 of 13 Old 06-29-2018 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Great info, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement