SuperTech Synthetic 5w20 + Fram Filter Oil Analysis at 6,576 miles - Page 2 - Hyundai Genesis Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 08-17-2018
Irresponsible Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal1ty17 View Post
The 3.8 is a cartridge filter. So it doesn't have any anti-drainback valves like a can filter would.
Wow I sound like an idiot... Just bought the car so I haven't changed the oil yet, so I wouldn't know haha. But thanks that's good to know! I'll probably end up going with Fram then.
Lethal1ty17 likes this.

2010 3.8 Track,
Konig Hypergram, Nitto NT05, Trans Mount, Engine Leash, Diff Bushings, Intake, Powerstop Track Pads, Braided Brake Lines, Tien Lowering Springs, CAI, Thermal Gaskets, Stripped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 08-17-2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)

Quote:
The 3.8 is a cartridge filter. So it doesn't have any anti-drainback valves like a can filter would. Also, the Fram cartridge filter didn't have cardboard in it, it was a plastic internal cage and plastic end caps like many other filters. Come to think of it, even the OEM filter is really just like a paper or felt on the end caps so even Fram has one upped them on this.
I picked up a Fram filter at Walmart today just to see the difference and yes it has solid plastic ends unlike the paper/felt ends on the Mahle OX351. If anything the Fram visually looks more robust. They both have what appears to be paper filter medium which according to your findings appears to filter at least as well as its competitors. Im not seeing what the problem might be using Fram other than mabey some unscrupulous dealer using it as a scapegoat to deny a oil related warranty claim.
post #23 of 25 Old 08-17-2018 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvdukerider View Post
I picked up a Fram filter at Walmart today just to see the difference and yes it has solid plastic ends unlike the paper/felt ends on the Mahle OX351. If anything the Fram visually looks more robust. They both have what appears to be paper filter medium which according to your findings appears to filter at least as well as its competitors. Im not seeing what the problem might be using Fram other than mabey some unscrupulous dealer using it as a scapegoat to deny a oil related warranty claim.
For some reason our local Walmart wouldn't carry the size I needed so I just ordered it on Amazon. And I would think it would be difficult for them to deny a warranty claim over an oil filter unless the manual said a specific one is required.

post #24 of 25 Old 08-28-2018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Informative. Thanks for doing this.
Lethal1ty17 likes this.

2011 Nord Grey Gen Coupe 3.8 Track 6 Speed |AEM|ARK|GARAGELINE|SPEC-D|M&S|SFR|HANKOOK|
post #25 of 25 Old 10-13-2018

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)

Quote:
For some reason our local Walmart wouldn't carry the size I needed so I just ordered it on Amazon. And I would think it would be difficult for them to deny a warranty claim over an oil filter unless the manual said a specific one is required.
Haha try to post this question in gencoupe FB group and let me know how it goes. They will eat you alive. I don't know how many of those people are actually on here but 99% of them are marketing victims with super big mouths, certified to talk sh1t strictly online.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Lethal1ty17 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement