4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine whine.. Can't find solution

Hey guys, so I've noticed a whine from the engine bay. Car is a 2011 3.8 Track, 74k miles. I could have swore it was the alternator so I replaced it.

Still whiney.

So then I replaced the idler pulley. Still whines. Then I replaced the tensioner. Still whines.

So I thought, ok, it could be the power steering pump. There's even a TSB for dirty reservoirs causing noise. I replaced both the reservoir and pump (just in case) and used CHF202 as Hyundai says.

STILL WHINES.

I'm nearly out of ideas. The only things left are the water pump and A/C compressor. Both spin freely and quietly with the belt off. The whine is present with A/C on or off, doesn't matter.

In addition, with the engine cold, I ran it without the accessory belt as an experiment and hey, no whine. So it's definitely not the motor.

The noise doesn't sound anything like a bad water pump or ac compressor which is usually a grinding sound. It literally sounds exactly like a bad idler pulley, so more or less, bad bearings. I'm so lost. Lol.

Has anyone been in this situation, replaced all these accessories and still have a whine? Could the water pump cause this kind of bearing noise? My ride is kept in a garage and driven only on nice days, little rain, less than 9k miles a year. Kind of disappointed I'm having this problem. It's never gave me an issue before in the past.

Any helpful suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by Koreandude; 1 Week Ago at 03:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 1 Week Ago
br2
Bill

Quoted: 133 Post(s)

you replaced the belts first, right?
you need to post a recording. "whine" is too general.
post #3 of 30 Old 1 Week Ago

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)

Take off the belt.

start the engine for like 30 seconds, hear if it's still there.

if it's not then, check the idler pulleys by spinning them by hand, and try to notice any odd noises.
if found, then replace the pulley in question.

if it's still there, then with the belt on and the engine running, turn the steering wheel and hear of there is any significant change in sound. if so then it's likely the power steering pump.

If not, next turn on the AC, again listen for changes. if so and AC works, then it's the likely the bearing(s) in the AC compressor pulley, not the whole compressor.

But who knows, maybe just needs the belt changed.

post #4 of 30 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I've ran the motor w/o the belt and it's quiet so it has to be one of the accessories.

I've already changed out the idler pulley, belt tensioner, alternator and power steering pump. I have a new water pump on the way.

The a/c spins freely and quietly with the belt off and with the belt on, a/c on or off doesn't change the noise.

I'm still on the original belt which still looks great and it doesn't squeal or sound like a worn belt. Maybe I'll just replace the belt anyways. Might as well add it to the list. lol.

Has anyone replaced their water pump yet? It seems pretty straight forward looking at the shop manual.

2011 Nord Grey Gen Coupe 3.8 Track 6 Speed |AEM|ARK|GARAGELINE|SUPERLUX|M&S|SFR|HANKOOK|
post #5 of 30 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
But who knows, maybe just needs the belt changed.
If that's all it was the whole time, I'm gonna punch a hole in the wall. lol.

2011 Nord Grey Gen Coupe 3.8 Track 6 Speed |AEM|ARK|GARAGELINE|SUPERLUX|M&S|SFR|HANKOOK|
post #6 of 30 Old 1 Week Ago

I've changed the water pump.

It's pretty straightforward.
Koreandude likes this.
post #7 of 30 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Welp, changed the belt and it's definitely not that. I took a video of the belt on and off. Big difference. I'll post it in a bit.

post #8 of 30 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
I've changed the water pump.

It's pretty straightforward.
This might sound silly but, it's not necessary to drain coolant before working right? With the Thermostat closed, only the coolant trapped behind the water pump would spill, right? Pump should be arriving any day.

post #9 of 30 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koreandude View Post
This might sound silly but, it's not necessary to drain coolant before working right? With the Thermostat closed, only the coolant trapped behind the water pump would spill, right? Pump should be arriving any day.
IIRC there is a small 1 mm hole in the thermostat
post #10 of 30 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Engine running w/o belt:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_c...nMQgku7aPfZbb0

Engine running w/ belt:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UV...6k7mKP-0WBHPMv

post #11 of 30 Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Sounds similar to mine, but mine is not belt related. Mine happens when it's below 40 degrees.

My assumption is that it's the oil pump on mine, but I haven't done anything about it, except track down where it's coming from. I'm going to be replacing the motor anyways.

On yours, it could be the thermostat. I forgot this was in the 3.8 forums, I haven't had the chance of replacing a water pump on a 3.8 yet.

This is mine.
had it for the last 8 years.
post #12 of 30 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Lol, dude yours sounds like an aggressive vibrator.

Well, the water pump is set to arrive today so I'll be replacing it after work. I'll post up my results here. Hopefully, it finally gets resolved and it was the water pump this entire time...
And for anyone else chasing a similar sound... just buy a stethoscope. lol.

post #13 of 30 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Welp I replaced the water pump last night.

STILL WHINES.

SMH. Could this even be the A/C compressor? With the belt off I can spin it freely and it appears quiet. Seems fine to me. It's now the only thing left that I haven't replaced. Again, with the belt off and none of the accessories turning the whine is gone. Put the belt on and you get the high pitched whine...

WTF. I'm so jaded right now I almost feel like even if I replace the A/C compressor, out of some nonsensical spite, the whine will still be there. Could I have literally been zero for 5 in completely replacing good parts with new parts, 5 times in a row and missing the problem with each attempt? lol. Such luck I have I tell ya....

post #14 of 30 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:

STILL WHINES.

SMH. Could this even be the A/C compressor? With the belt off I can spin it freely and it appears quiet. Seems fine to me. It's now the only thing left that I haven't replaced. Again, with the belt off and none of the accessories turning the whine is gone. Put the belt on and you get the high pitched whine...

WTF. I'm so jaded right now I almost feel like even if I replace the A/C compressor, out of some nonsensical spite, the whine will still be there. Could I have literally been zero for 5 in completely replacing good parts with new parts, 5 times in a row and missing the problem with each attempt? lol. Such luck I have I tell ya....
I don't know if you want to go through the whole hassle of doing this, but what you can try now is;

Get some string, take off the belt, run the string through the belt path, but excude the AC pulley. Tie off the string, so you have the length belt you'll need

take the string and the actual belt to a parts shop and ask if they have any matching belts but in length of the string. It can be a little shorter, because of the tension.

then try the shorter belt without routing it around the AC pulley. If the sound is still there, then it's one of the idler pulleys, or the belt tensioner.

I would do this, and be sure, rather than having the AC system vacuum pumped, compressor replaced, vacuum pumped again, and recharged... then finding out that it's still there.

EDIT: Another thing you can do, is if you still have the old belt
do the string thing,
cut the old belt to length,
and use construction staples, to stitch the ends together. Pound down the legs of the stamples.
This belt would be used for just seeing if it's the AC pump.

I had to do this once on the track of my snow mobile.

Last edited by AKGC; 3 Days Ago at 09:45 AM.
post #15 of 30 Old 3 Days Ago
In Charge of Snacks

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)

Quote:

STILL WHINES.

Dude, That's the EXACT sound of my old power steering pump, which I recently changed for a re-man from Delco, which still whines just the same. I think these suckers get loud long before they're out of tolerance or close to failure. Do us a favor - leave the belt on, run the car and listen for pitch changes as you saw the steering wheel back and forth. That's the only way I knew mine was PS related. I need to buy another actual new PS Pump unit. I will PM you.

'11 3.8 R-spec
Now trying to build the impossible
post #16 of 30 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelagt View Post
Dude, That's the EXACT sound of my old power steering pump, which I recently changed for a re-man from Delco, which still whines just the same. I think these suckers get loud long before they're out of tolerance or close to failure. Do us a favor - leave the belt on, run the car and listen for pitch changes as you saw the steering wheel back and forth. That's the only way I knew mine was PS related. I need to buy another actual new PS Pump unit. I will PM you.
post number #3 and #4 ,

He already replaced the PS pump
post #17 of 30 Old 3 Days Ago
In Charge of Snacks

Quote:
post number #3 and #4 ,

He already replaced the PS pump
SO DID I!!! Can you not read, AK? It's literally up there right above for you to see. Why even bother posting if you won't consider what others are saying?

'11 3.8 R-spec
post #18 of 30 Old 3 Days Ago
I'd rather do it myself

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

Might be the fluid. What PS fluid do you use? The 2L went to the Pentosin CHF 202 because of whine with the Hyundai stuff.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."
post #19 of 30 Old 3 Days Ago
In Charge of Snacks

I put the Pentosin in. That stuff is miserably expensive. lol

'11 3.8 R-spec
post #20 of 30 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

It's always had Pentosin CHF202, including when I replaced the power steering pump. Shop manual calls for it.

AK, I'm totally going to do the string method and find a shorter belt to bypass the AC compressor.

Also, I'm not sure HOW I missed this, but last night was under the car looking around, turning over every leaf, saw the underside of the AC Compressor and took this pic...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10W...ydtuFj324n91YP

Pretty damn sure it's leaking...

So at least now I have some evidence of an accessory drive device that's actually BAD. Go freakin' figure, after I replaced every other damn thing. I mean, it can't hurt to be proactive. I might just bypass the AC with a shorter belt until next spring. I recently bought a Stinger GT so I'd be driving that mostly anyways... lol.

Last edited by Koreandude; 2 Days Ago at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page